Gen 4: 2011-2015 How To:lights from The Retrofit Source - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-18-2014, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Lightbulb How To:lights from The Retrofit Source

First off everything for this mod was from TheRetrofitSource.com, i would give them a 10 of 10 for service. every question i had was answered with sound advice. on top of that quality is unmatched when it comes to the parts. i spent months researching what i wanted to do, everything i read said you could not fit Morimoto Mini H1's in the Gen 4. however i had taken some measurements and i was sure they would fit so i jumped. this mod was a headache from the start. it was my first projector retrofit so doing it on the Gen 4 made it that much worse. hopefully this will make it easier for any who follow in my foot steps.

this retrofit will take you a weekend not including the time for paint to dry, i recommend getting a second headlight housing to modify or do it over the winter, if you have one.

I sourced everything from TRS with the exception of switches (amazon) and electrical micro connectors(local hobby shop). i used the motorcycle stage 2 kit with morimoto mini H1 bi-xenon projectors, 4300k bulbs, mini gatling gun shrouds, h7 relay, 2 sets of 6" xb led strips and 2 set of 70mm xb halos.

first thing, open your headlights. assuming you can get them off your bike. see the service manual. its simpler than it looks. i baked mine for 10min at 220F. then used a butter knife to open them up. be slow and wear leather gloves.

throughout the whole retrofit i recommend taking your time. better to not go fast and get it right the first time. i had to source a second reflector because messed up the first one. thanks GlassAnkles!

once you get the reflectors out you can take a dremal or a belt sander to it. see the pictures but i ground down a cutoff wheel to the right length and the cut off the back of the reflector off. i wanted to leave the alignment notch on the top so i had something to reference, hence the way i used the dremal. Really all you need to do is sand down the back of the reflector so its about 1/8Ē thick

you will also be required to cut the inside wall of the reflector and the bottom out for proper clearance. see later pic

i originally tried to use the stock mounting hole in the reflector, the one you see me carefully trimming, and the h7 adaptor. turns out the if you do the projector will not fit the top of it will end up hitting the headlight housing and it will point downward only giving you 10-15ft of light. hence me not finding anything saying this would work.

to solve this i had to lower the back of the projector . this rotated the projector enough for me to lower the front of it and still point light out the front at the right angle. unfortunately it was super late and i was wired so i didn't get any photos. I used the h11 adaptor and a surplus of jb weld. If you kept the alignment notch take measurements I went 3/16Ē lower than the notch. Be careful if you go to far down the mounting clip for the xexnon bulb will hit the back of the housing. See photos later.

Before you move on you will need to build up the areas below the hole. In the next few steps you will need to remove a lot of the material inside the reflector to create the required clearances. I cannot give any measurements for this, its really just trial and error. Remember lots of fitups. Once you get it just right I recommend sealing up your headlights and doing some beam alignment installed on the bike. If I remember right itís the cutoff 3.5í high at 30í on a flat wall.

Once you know its good. paint em (IMO They look good painted black) and install your halos/demon eyes if you got em. A lot of people just epoxy for this but I used some 1/32Ē lockwire. Just drilled some holes 120 degrees apart and lockwired em in place. You cant even see it unless you know its there.

Fit up your projectors once again to the modified reflector. Finger tight (I used the smaller rubber washer because I didnít want to be able to see it. Now we got to mount the led drivers to the back of the reflector as seen. Jb weld again, I went through 3 sets of this shit. The large black driver is for the halo and the 2 smaller chrome ones are for the 6Ē strips I used.

I also mounted 2 6Ē XB led strips on the lens.

here is were i made another mistake, i didn't realize it until i was all done but you won't be able to seal up your headlights with the hid power coming through the removable cap. cut holes as seen and route hid wires as seen in this photo. this also shows how i routed wires and extended the removable cap using a green chili can. you will also want to cut the 2 clips the hold the stock headlight wires inside the headlight. they were in my way when adjusting the beam.

Mount it all in the headlight but donít install the lens yet. Do some primitive wiring and align your rotation while on the bike. And tighten down the projectors. See the 2 black n red wires coming out the front those are for the led strips I used.

Install the headlight lens with the adhesive TRS supplied in your kit and bake for one last time. followed by final bench testing with 9v batteries.

Now for the fun part wiring them up. I soldered all the strips together and the halos together. To get rid of the clutter I glued them along the headlight housing. They get power from the city light through 2 illuminated switches on the upper inner faring. The HIDs are powered from the supplied harness from TRS. the ballasts fit nicely in the void behind the tach. Eventually I will be installing a headlight kill switch through the oem relay box, just waiting on the switch to come in.

Its late and im sure I missed a bunch of good stuff but thatís all for now ill answer any questions you have.

2013 zx10r green, Austin Racing GP1, Morimoto mini h1 Bi-Xenon, k&n race, pcv, custom tune, custom led integrated tail light, homemade fender eliminator, dark smoke puig z race, kleen air mod, stomp grip tank pads, black hot bodies under tail, green solo seat, green hugger, guhl flash, aimsoil, 8000mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-19-2014, 02:47 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

looks amazing, well worth all the work you put into it.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-19-2014, 04:05 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Thank you for the write up. In my case the oem lights look perfect and the bulbs take a beating, unlike my past bikes.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-20-2014, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks glassankles!

I'm not going to disagree with you at all the stock bulbs do look good however seems nowadays everyone is doing the same mods I wanted to do something to set my bike apart from everyone else

2013 zx10r green, Austin Racing GP1, Morimoto mini h1 Bi-Xenon, k&n race, pcv, custom tune, custom led integrated tail light, homemade fender eliminator, dark smoke puig z race, kleen air mod, stomp grip tank pads, black hot bodies under tail, green solo seat, green hugger, guhl flash, aimsoil, 8000mi
post #5 of 11 Old 11-20-2014, 06:19 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Badass!
post #6 of 11 Old 11-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

i wanted to do the projector retrofit, seeing how i still have lots of projector kits from the time i used to sell them, I may still go ahead with it.

BTW, if anyone wants a projector kit, I still have a few i'll gladly sell. $75/box plus shipping. comes with 2 Hi/Low projectors, wiring harness, hid bulbs inside the projectors, halos already glued on the outside projector. All you'll need to get is ballasts to power everything.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to abadassbikerlad
If you search m331 projector kit on eBay they fit without the mods shown above, these are 20mm shorter and just clear in the front tops where the 2.5 bi xenons clash,
I have done a few of these headlights now, you can fit the shown 2.5 bi xenon in without cutting the back reflector but your need to cut down the front of the shroud and you can't run halo ring.
But great install above and well done being brave enough to mod that far from stock.

2013 black uk spec gen 4, full akrapovic evo carbon, brembo rcs master cylinder, brembo clutch, ohlins race SCU, woolichracing flashed ecu with stock 02 disabled, ohlins mechatronic rear shock, Suoer corsa Sc2 200 rear smoked hot bodies rear end, Puig screen, s-2 concepts seat hump,Hell hoses, brembo m4 monoblocks samco sport red hoses, samco clamps, evotech oil cap, MWR filter, Putoline syntec 4, Jmt lion battery, nearly all bolts are titanium. 55w 6000k 2.5" Hid projectors.
190.26 hp Din
post #8 of 11 Old 07-11-2016, 09:45 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I feel everyone should know what I just went through trying to install this kit.

I would not recommend this kit unless you're ready to put a lot more work into it than what the OP did.

I'm about to finally finish this up after almost two months. Granted I work two jobs and have a 11 month old boy to take care of, so very little time.

Anyways, problems I have ran into:

1. The ballast has been redesigned since OP posted this. They will no longer fit where the OP placed them. The ballast now has the connectors built into the side of the ballast making them much longer in length. I had to relocate them to the upper side panels, which means I had to relocate the Reg/Rec. I relocated it by using the oil tank catch can (another $200 spent on this light kit). These bikes are so tight and compact that I really didn't know where else to put it.

2. The projectors were also redesigned slightly. They lengthened the threaded shaft because people were complaining how short it was. Just so you know how tight of a fit this is, the projector Shroud is slightly rubbing the lenses on the front and the back of the light bulb connector is about an 1/8" from hitting the lower steering stem clamps at full lock. I have to use the stock caps and cut an oval hole in it so I can still turn it and cover the hole with tape. Not clean looking at all.

3. Because of the tight fit inside the housing, I had to cut the shrouds for clearance along with the reflectors.

If I were to do this all over again, I wouldn't be doing this kit. I would just settle for the BKmoto kit.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-14-2016, 05:26 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abadassbikerlad View Post
If you search m331 projector kit on eBay they fit without the mods shown above, these are 20mm shorter and just clear in the front tops where the 2.5 bi xenons clash,
I have done a few of these headlights now, you can fit the shown 2.5 bi xenon in without cutting the back reflector but your need to cut down the front of the shroud and you can't run halo ring.
But great install above and well done being brave enough to mod that far from stock.

Did you do a write up on this install by any chance??

15 ZX10R
91 Harley Fatboy
04 ZX10R - Burned in front of my eyes
00 R1 - Stolen & Crashed
98 ZX6R - SOLD
post #10 of 11 Old 07-15-2016, 07:28 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmon012 View Post
Did you do a write up on this install by any chance??
That kit looks almost similar to the bkmoto kit. You could more than likely follow bkmoto's instructions. The only thing that would more than likely be different would be wire color. I bet you could simply cross reference them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dual, hid, light, xenon, zx10r

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in