How far on battery alone? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-11-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Question How far on battery alone?

So, my stator is bad and I still don't have the cash to replace it. The joy of having adult responsibilities. Anyway, I know there are a lot of factors, so I'll get to that, but my initial question is, how far/long do you think I can go/run on battery alone? I'm itching for a ride and was thinking I could ride to work, put it on the charger here, and then ride home at the end of the day.

First, is this bad for the bike or the batter or the charging system (what's left of it) in general?

The bad thing is, I do have HIDs, but I also have LEDs in the city lights. I have an ATRE and a quickshifter. Not much else in the way of fancy electronics.

Discuss ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-11-2017, 07:25 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Well let me first admit that I did this same exact thing when the stator went bad in another motorcycle of mine and was my only mode of transportation. It vary's how far you can go each charge, and the time it takes to charge is at least a few hours. How many miles to work? Hills?

Doing this is bad for your bike, and would not suggest doing it at all. It wears on all your electrical components and will more then likely destroy your battery. HID's will use more current then the oem style heal light setup. As for the LED's pretty much negligible.

Conclusion : Don't do it! I was dumb enough too and got into some sticky situations with the bike dieing out in unfortunate situations. Learn from my stupidity and just be patient my friend!

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-11-2017, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhastme View Post
Well let me first admit that I did this same exact thing when the stator went bad in another motorcycle of mine and was my only mode of transportation. It vary's how far you can go each charge, and the time it takes to charge is at least a few hours. How many miles to work? Hills?

Doing this is bad for your bike, and would not suggest doing it at all. It wears on all your electrical components and will more then likely destroy your battery. HID's will use more current then the oem style heal light setup. As for the LED's pretty much negligible.

Conclusion : Don't do it! I was dumb enough too and got into some sticky situations with the bike dieing out in unfortunate situations. Learn from my stupidity and just be patient my friend!

Figured as much. Was basically looking for someone to tell me not to be a dumbass.
Duhastme likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hey Evil! Sorry to hear of your problem.

To answer your question though, I'd expect you to be able to probably hit the 30-40 mile mark before you're dead in the water. And when that happens, add a new battery to your shopping list. It won't affect your other electronics doing that, but the chances of you getting any farther and getting a full charge on the battery is slim. Run the battery too low and you'll likely damage it. And if you get stuck in traffic along the way, then shorten that distance down considerably.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 18 Old 10-11-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
As my wife's birthday approaches, I wonder how she feels about a new stator and gaskets for her gift?
GreenOne and michael4012 like this.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaugust View Post
As my wife's birthday approaches, I wonder how she feels about a new stator and gaskets for her gift?
Do it! She will love you more for getting something you can both enjoy! And if she gives you any grief, then switch to the tried and true backup plan....
Sasquatch likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 18 Old 10-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I'd try testing it out.

1. Charge the battery
2. Pull your headlight fuse
3. Take a multi-meter with you for a test ride and test the voltage regularly to see how far you can safely get before you get into battery destroying territory. 11 volts? low 12's? I don't know what that would be though.
4. Then report back because we'd love to know!

Good luck!

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #8 of 18 Old 10-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaugust View Post
"Look honey, I got you a big copper ring"
evilaugust likes this.

I`m just in for the ride
post #9 of 18 Old 10-11-2017, 03:22 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Our battery is weak when it's in working mode. End of thread, for sure; Just there to crank the start. (the electric start is a life saver for a four stroke; and don't listen to the mega old timer Harley kick start guy...or maybe you might listen to them as many broke a leg on their start) The trade is lighter weight under the butt. You have never pushed a 400 pound super, for sure, (or you would not be asking this publicly!)
evilaugust likes this.

Last edited by scout; 10-11-2017 at 03:25 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-11-2017, 03:33 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Our battery is weak when it's in working mode. End of thread, for sure; Just there to crank the start. (the electric start is a life saver for a four stroke, don't listen to the mega old timer Harley kick start guy...or maybe you might listen to them as many broke a leg on their start) The trade is lighter weight under the butt. You have never pushed a 400 pound super, for sure, (or you would not be asking this publicly!)
The part I bolded is something I'll never forget ha! Pushing a 400 pound bike is no fun at all. I thought I could push mine about a mile and a half back home and I gave up after a few feet

And on how far you can make it on just the battery, I had to ride mine as long as I could until my battery died when my stator went out. I was about 2 1/2 hours away when it starting having trouble. I think I was able to go about 40 miles or so, at one point I had no electronics but the bike was still going for at least another 20 miles until it completely gave up.
That's another trip I'll never forget.

04' ZX10
06' Green ZX10-On the road to recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.