Gen 2: 2006-2007 How to De-Cat Gen2 with Pics - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 Old 06-23-2016, 09:01 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Not looking forward to bleeding the coolant system, as never done it before and it seems fiddley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
Not looking forward to bleeding the coolant system, as never done it before and it seems fiddley
The idling to get it up to temp might not sit well with the neighbors but other then that its actually easy to do. Fill with coolant of choice and run with rad cap off till the fan goes, don't rev it too high. Refill and let the fan go again to make sure no more bubbles. Turn off, refill if necessary and put cap back on. Check your reservoir too. Good luck!.
post #23 of 29 Old 06-23-2016, 10:47 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Why? What's the big deal? You fill the system up, squeeze the hoses, rock the bike around, and cap it. Ride it to get it hot, let it cool down, and check the level in the reservoir. You don't need to over complicate it.
sarge likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #24 of 29 Old 08-07-2016, 02:16 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

So in the end I decided to decat and change the oil + filter:

-I drained the coolant
- swung the radiator forward
- took off the exhaust (still need to drill out the rusted bolts and decat it)
- drained the oil and took the opportunity to replace the oil filter (bcitch to take off and it was stock)

Can I reuse the same exhaust header gaskets?
Do I need a gasket between joining of the decat pipe and the header pipe?

what will I notice after decat?
post #25 of 29 Old 08-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
So in the end I decided to decat and change the oil + filter:

-I drained the coolant
- swung the radiator forward
- took off the exhaust (still need to drill out the rusted bolts and decat it)
- drained the oil and took the opportunity to replace the oil filter (bcitch to take off and it was stock)

Can I reuse the same exhaust header gaskets?
Do I need a gasket between joining of the decat pipe and the header pipe?

what will I notice after decat?
I re-used the same exhaust gasket between headers and cat pipe. No problems over the last 3k miles.

Might be after the fact now, but you don't need to remove the radiator to get the cat pipe out. I loosened the exhaust clamps under the seat / near the rear tire and slid it back just enough to wiggle the pipe out.

When you decat I recommend wrapping the pipe in a rag and then securing it in a vice. The rag will prevent any damage from the vice. Take a long metal spike/rod/something sharp and a hammer. Tap it into the honeycomb and once it has pierced through twist and wrench the comb to break it up, you will need to do this several times to get it all. Tap gentle around the edges where the pipe and comb meet to break off any little bits that are left.

I did not notice any loss/gain in power by removing it. Slightly more throaty sound. Best benefit is a reduction in heat coming from under the bike. I live in a very hot environment already and while I don't recall the engine temp gauge changing after removing the cat I did notice my balls being cooked less. If you have a power commander you can crank it up to rich and shoot flames now, fun party trick.

First post
sarge likes this.
post #26 of 29 Old 08-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Absolute pain in the arsev

I just gave up and bought a de-cat pipe off ebay.

600w drill with metal drill bit could not drill dem bolts, had to cut the six bolts to separate the head and mid pipes. Then I will replace the mid pipe with the de-cat pipe.

Last edited by sarge; 08-08-2016 at 08:53 AM.
post #27 of 29 Old 01-06-2017, 05:01 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Aaaaargh! Stripped off fairings/belly pan. Loosened the rad....thinking, just replaced akrapovic on the zx9 for scorpion race can on cleaned up and polished OEM headers, nah, don't drain coolant, just nudge rad forward and keep the knuckles in check! Headers were fiddly, but as ZX10 stated, combination of deep sockets and short extension did the trick. Watch the knuckles! Front system off. Fiddly, but doable. Damn those rusty mid pipe bolts. Couldnt even get allen key or socket into the cap for the crud. Clever me, pre ordered M6 x 16 A2 stainless cap heads, washers and nuts ($5 ebay) so, out with the Dremmel!! Some careful work cutting off the captive nuts... hey presto, one mid pipe in hand. Now for the cat. Hmmmmmm, where is it? I thought it was like a gauze type filter 'blocking' the pipe.... bugger, there isn't one. Someone beat me to it! Nothing. Anywhere. Oh well, used some Fenwicks FS1 cleaner (awesome gear by the way guys) on front of engine and had a good clean up while access was good. De-cat, has it made a difference? No idea, never had a cat (other than the 4 furry ones currently encamped on the bed). Considering putting 2ndary flies back in. When I blip the throttle, the bike nearly cuts out when revs recover to idle. Thinking maybe too lean? O2 sensors now removed and blanking kit fitted due to FI fault so not a hopeless waste of time. Rad suffered only a couple of minor knuckle rubs, my advice? Don't be lazy like me, drain and remove! Peace!
post #28 of 29 Old 02-03-2017, 08:59 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_Nashville View Post
How will it run without a tune for that?
I downloaded a map into my PC3 that accounted for that.
got the map from a member here, but can't emember who right now...
sounds real good, runs real good too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
i could give two shits if you were taking a bubble bath in applesauce being fed grapes by lemurs with electrodes attached to your nipples in the bed of a semi truck, as long as you're not holding up traffic, go for it
post #29 of 29 Old 09-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

quick thanks to the initial poster, was a simple and easy DIY for extra power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.