Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Hi idle

Gen 1: 2004-05 
4K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Air ride 
#1 ·
2004 zx10r revs up by its self , at an idle and as I'm riding ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Shes trying to tell you shes ready to go.

#8 ·
Thank you zx racer for reply , I thought so to at first but it revs sitting at an idle, no rider! Riding with bars straight approaching a stop sign or set of lights the bike will just up and wanna go!!
Then it drops to normal. No set amount of time in between these hi rev times but it's enough to not ride safely. Was running premium gas ( m in Ontario Canada ) 91 octane is the highest.. I dropped my oil, filter and changed plugs NKG.
Filled it wit lower octane gas 87 and it ran beautiful it was fast , throttle spot on and even ran cooler...for two days then bang problem is back !!!
And now I'm at a lost ? I've read and inquired so much that I'm literally confused . Started thinking throttle positioning sensor but it doesn't go to a lower idle under 12000 -1000 and it doesn't stall so wouldn't it do that if it was tps?
I self diagnosed with jump wire on FI light and no code all good so.....I'm a down biker. Biker without a bike! Nothing worse :(

#10 ·
I doubt its the tps causing the problem. You said it ran better after you filled up with 87 and then the problem started back so it sounds fuel related. Have you tried runing some fuel treatment see if that might help?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
We put treatment through it this afternoon ( seafoam) then dumped some of my oil and it smelt like gas, cyfend gas out replaced all new she ran nice up until hr ago and it's beginning again. Tattletale signs . Not happy! Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Cuz I really don't want to think that!!!

#12 ·
Why does my FI light not come on? It's working , we checked it ?thats what's got me worried my bro says gashiuos oil smell normal if I had a dead plug and treated gas got through the rings but she's firing on all four
I should have checked compression when I had it torn down for plugs

#14 ·
Good way to check and see if all four cylinders are firing properly is start the bike up let it warm up and spray some soapy water on each header pipe if one doesnt steam or dry quick like the others you found your problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Anybody experience this problem with a power commander v quick shift set up ? I had to change throttle cable assembly to install . It ran problem free long time but I wunder if they go erratic after awhile? This is the first year I've had it on streets , usually we drag

#23 ·
Was throttle handle tightened down incorrectly and wasn't returning properly .
Thanks guys by the way I'm from northern Ontario Canada this first gen is consistent 9.64 -@ 144 mph 9.63 @ 141 mph. You tube search 04 Kawasaki zx10r look for burnt orange candy bike racing zx14 he lost
We have one quarter mile track ( Terrace Bay Ont ) or Brainerd Minnesota
Mostly right here on the streets the rest of the year it's the same but with snow machines . 1/4 mile and track
Y'all have a great summer EH! Lmfao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.