Help - FI light on and code 62 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Help - FI light on and code 62

Hi guys

I am new to the site - i apologise for only joining now due to a fault with my bike.

I hope someone can help. I have been looking through the site but cannot find an answer to my problem.

I have a 2004 ZX10R. I washed the bike on Sunday and then did not use it again until Tuesday. When i fired the bike up the FI light stayed permanently on. The bike ran fine though. Up until i need to accelerate hard. The bike seems to be lacking power and will not rev over 6000rpm. So i am limited to about 68 mph. I downloaded the service manual and followed the instructions. I got code 62 - Subthrottle Actuator Valve. I took the tank and airbox off and got to the throttle bodies.

Now i am not really sure what to do. I did as the manual said and turn on the ignition. The valves do not open. I could not move them with my finger. Kawasaki have quoted my £1800 for new throttle bodies. Surely there must be some other way.

Can anyone help.

Cheers!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 04:50 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to tasos
The black plastic box in the front-middle is the problem. The plastic gears inside might stick. Also on the right hand side the shaft which turns the butterflies might be stuck. Had the exact same error code. I'll post a pic later today or tomorrow to see
post #3 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

thanks for your reply. I know some people on here have removed the secondary butterflies that seem to be controlled by the box you mention. Do you think it is worth removing the secondaries to see if this cures the problem?

post #4 of 10 Old 01-07-2012, 01:32 AM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

Try unplugging the connector at the TB's and spray it with contact cleaner and let air dry. If that doesn't fix it then yeah, remove the butterflies. Leave the rod and servo motor. remove just the actual flies/plates.
Sounds like a wire connector has water in it from washing. So many others have had major issues like this from washing their bikes. It's usually from the soapy water getting into the wire harness connections. Wreaks havoc on the electronics. There's an old thread where many of us discussed why we do or don't wash our bikes. I wish those that were so agitated/angry when some of us said it causes problems many times could see this thread now.

07-ZX10R-SOLD
, 1/5th insert, -1/+5,comp werkes decatted,PC3+multi-hub,piperX,30 dry shot,2custom maps,Ballistic EVO2,Pazzo shorties,SATO rearsets,HealTech,ZG Corsa,EBC XC Gen3 rotors,Vesrah pads, SS lines, Gen3 calipers, etc and stretched 8" so it won't flip
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen

Last edited by neverendingmods; 01-07-2012 at 01:41 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Right - i spent yesterday removing the throttle bodies and the secondary butterflies are just totally stuck. The two on the right do not move at all. I thought i should be able to push them with my finger but they were totally stuck. The two on the left moved a tiny bit. When switching the bike on and off the didn't move at all.

I spent ages trying to lubricate and loosen them but i could not get them to move. So i decided to remove them. I was not totally convinced about doing this but my alternatives were to spend £1800 on new throttle bodies from the dealer or buy some second hand ones off ebay.

By removing them i have paid nothing and i have fixed my problem!

However the FI light remains on. I think i have seen a "how to" that explains how to remove the light. I took the bike for a test ride and i now have full power again. My first thoughts are that the it seems a little less grunty down low but quicker when you get going.

From my point of view the difference is tiny though. I am just glad that i have full power again.

Does anyone know what the point of the secondaries are???

Last edited by bullet4; 01-08-2012 at 09:40 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverendingmods View Post
Sounds like a wire connector has water in it from washing. So many others have had major issues like this from washing their bikes. It's usually from the soapy water getting into the wire harness connections. Wreaks havoc on the electronics. There's an old thread where many of us discussed why we do or don't wash our bikes. I wish those that were so agitated/angry when some of us said it causes problems many times could see this thread now.
I am now wondering if it was water. I sprayed all the connectors yesterday. I went out on the bike today. When i left home the FI light was on. But half way through my journey it went off and has remained off since!. Problem is i have already taken out the butterflies!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 01:57 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to tasos
Your problem was propably the shaft only.
I attach the pics anyway.
It's normal you will loose abit down low but not much, no worries.
You can find used throttles in ebay for 150 pounds.
If it gets fixed perm. you can put back the plates if you want, but use red loctite. Glad you got it fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	156488   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	156489  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for your help!!!!
post #9 of 10 Old 02-17-2018, 08:16 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

did u find a way to remove light? my 06 zx14 i bought used has removed secondary flies and the bike will rev up and light turns on right after code 62?
post #10 of 10 Old 02-18-2018, 12:35 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You done well so far mate personlly i would split those bodies you have that box can be opened have a look inside its probably worn nylon but with skill you can clean them up pull all the shafts clean all those send the injectors off for flow resting & cleaning assemble it back & balance them i guarentee no FI and a swrrt running bike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]192MPH stock engined 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in