Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Has anyone had this recall done?

Gen 5: 2016-20 
Tags
recall
15K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  g-man 
#1 ·
I just spoke with Kawasaki, and found out there is a recall on the Cam Chain Tensioner. (sorry if this has been visited before). Not sure if all models. Mine is a 2016 Non-CA model.

Has anyone had this work done? God I hate to take it to the dealer :-(

#3 ·
No recall that I'm aware of. The only recall on the Gen 5 that I've seen is for the steering damper mounting bolt being too tight.

There may be a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the tensioner, but that isn't something people are made aware of until it's brought to the dealer to check. And it only applies when the vehicle is under warranty. Recalls are something different.

#11 ·
Mine is a non-ca model. I don't think that has anything to do with it. Called my dealer and they confirmed it and ordered parts.

I saw that Taiwan translation. Wonder if this is actually the same thing and it got screwed in the translation?

#16 ·
I also have the 2016 zx10r. I had mine serviced and replaced under warranty in October 2017. The Cam Chain Tensioner is NOT a recall, it is service bulletin. Meaning, if you think there is a problem with your cam chain tensioner where it is chattery and clanking and you bring it to a Kawi dealer and complain, they have to listen to it to verify if they hear a metallic noise as well. If verified they will do the tensioner as a warranty job. I work for a car dealership and we have this all the time.. if enough complaints the vehicle make company (ie. GM) will then make a service bulletin, but not enough to issue a recall. I was told they have a newer version tensioner that goes into our bikes when replaced. I have the old one the dealer gave me as a souvenir and saw the updated tensioner, minor differences.

#20 · (Edited)
Actually to answer my own question, and sorry for the side track but I thought when you guys were mentioning CA modules you meant California model (and I think you probably did). However, in the manual CA model is Canada, CAL is Califorina, US is everywhere in United States except California and there are also other models, AU, DE, EUR, MY, etc.

However, I did know that there really was no difference in the GEN 5s sold in California vs the rest of the states because unlike on the GEN 4, the GEN 5 had all of the emissions stuff on at least all of the North American sold bikes, at least it makes no mention of any differences that I can find in the GEN 5 service manual, unlike in the GEN 4 service manual which lists many differences in the fuel/emissions system. Looking through the service manual I *believe* there is only 1 difference between a "CAL" model and a "US" model, and that is the ECU. However, I live in Illinois and I have a "CAL" ECU part number in my bike (1128).

Here's the list of models from the GEN 5 service manual:

Here is the ECU code list from the GEN5 service manual:

And to make things even MORE confusing the part number label for the 1128 ECU appears to list the 1128 ECU as the "CA" ECU when 1128 in the service manual is listed as the "CAL" ECU, "CA" is 1129. Holy moly!

https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/21175-1128?ref=207874a6deeb3259321577f295a72fb1db1f01bd

#21 · (Edited)
I love all the conflicting answers we get. The rep at Kawasaki I spoke to specifically called it a "Recall".

If this Transmission recall is true, I'm really pissed.

As for the Models, even though mine is not listed as a CAL model, it has all the emissions crap like the canister and stuff under the fairing.

And sorry, yes, I meant in the beginning if it was a CAL "California" model, not a CA "Canada" model.

#22 ·
Why get so pissed and worked up?? Did the tranny shit the bed on you? Kawi is taking care of it/you for free, all you gotta do is roll it in. I can see if you had a accident because of a tranny failure or having to buy a new one. And why do you still have that emissions crap under there, especially if you dont live in Cali lol??:heyyou:

#23 · (Edited)
I think I'm more pissed I did not here it from Kawasaki first. Even after I spoke to them the other day.

Luckily this is a Cassette Tranny, so not as involved as the Yamaha R1 recall where they had to split the tranny.

Maybe mine is not in the recall, but I'm not usually that lucky :wink2:

#31 ·
I've never been informed of recalls before, I always find out shit needs to be done on the forums!
...But then again I've never purchased a bike new off the showroom floor... not sure if that creates any disturbance in the mailing process.

#35 ·
There will be no letters... this is not a recall. Jeez.

This is simply a service bulletin. There are no notices sent out for bulletins... ONLY recalls. Which again, this is not. Let me say it one more time, this is not a recall. Vast difference between the two guys...

Customer comes into shop
Customer complains that the bike is making a loud rattling noise
Shop looks at bike, inspects it, verifies noise
Shop finds service bulletin for the exact issue
Bulletin advises shop to replace the CCT with a new one with a new part number for that bike
Bikes VIN is then registered as showing having this service bulletin complied with
Bike is given back to customer

This is not a pass to get a free new shiny part. If the bike is making noise and the shop inspects it and determines it to be the CCT, they will replace it as it is authorized by Kawasaki. If is not making noise, they will likely say sorry, but we can't recreate the noise you're describing. Maybe some will replace it just to appease customers.

This is totally different than say the ECU recall in my Z125 or the recall for the improper bolt torque values on the damper for my 5th gen or the recall for the replacement gears on the ~4000 units of 5th gen R and RRs. THOSE are recalls, those are mandated by law to inform you of a recall out for your specific VIN number. Hence why you get letters, officially notifying you. If your car, truck, SUV, whatever had Takata air bags, you likely got a ton of recall notifications in the mail for that as well since that was a recall.
(in my best Bob or the other Bob voice from Office Space) So ...lemme get this straight ... you're saying, that, ...there..., is no, recall??
:lol: :crackup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.