Gen 5: 2016 -> Graves Motorsports 2016 Cat Eliminator Exhaust - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 69 Old 02-17-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Posting Frequency

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 Old 03-01-2016, 12:49 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I got my insert and my FTECU and supposedly my exhaust but they seem to have misplaced the link pipe box so I wasn't able to pick that up yesterday. I installed the cable and I am playing with the FTECU software and comparing the Stock map, the Unrestricted map, and the Graves Cat Eliminator map. I noticed on the Graves map I don't see any of the ECU Mapping, only ECU Settings. Is there something missing?

I plan on taking it over and putting it on a buddy's dyno Saturday and will check it before putting the pipe, block off plates, and flash on it. Then check it again after putting the pipe, flash, and block off plates on.

On an unrelated note I also noticed on the Unrestricted Map it appears the KEBC map for Gear 4 is all zeros. I assume that is something I should open a ticket for with FTECU?

post #33 of 69 Old 03-01-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Posting Frequency

The Graves' maps are locked down and a good set it and forget it option. The unrestricted file is just a stock open file with better ignition tables for you to use for tuning yourself. Is big st. charles your dealer ship? This cat elim low mount is a low mount and in the construction there is not much tubing. They called think the Y pipe is missing but there's not much there. That's how this a $569 system and not a 1300 + like others that require extensive length tubing. Graves Motorsports 2016 Kawasaki ZX10r Cat Eliminator Titanium Exhaust System

You can always send me a picture of it if you want to look at it. :) Thx

post #34 of 69 Old 03-02-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Posting Frequency

This image shows our "CAT BACK" exhaust system. Notice the location of the catalytic converter and how it attaches to the motorcycle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 ZX 10 Cat Back Rear side view3.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	360513  
post #35 of 69 Old 03-02-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor

Posting Frequency

This image is our "CAT ELIMINATOR" low mount system. Take note of the cat location in reference to where our can attaches and exits the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016ZX10 Cat Eliminator .5 side.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	781.0 KB
ID:	360521  
post #36 of 69 Old 03-02-2016, 09:29 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes, Big St Charles, but we got it all straightened out. I didn't actually look at my bike and just assumed the link would have been longer when taking the cat out. I also realized that the 2nd box that I thought was missing was actually the box that contained all the other stuff I ordered from Graves. :) I was a little embarrassed when I kept sending my parts buddy back to keep looking for another box. :)

Regarding the locked down map, I assume I can always flash the ECU with your map, then read it back into another name and verify/change any other settings (KEBC, etc) I want to change from that new map name? And, I may want to tweak the fuel a little further on the dyno, or it may be just fine where it's at. I just wanted to use your map as the base. Sorry, I know these are n00b questions and I'll figure it out pretty quickly.

P.S. Thank you for the feedback!

Last edited by tdh; 03-02-2016 at 10:20 AM.
post #37 of 69 Old 03-02-2016, 01:25 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Okay, I should have read this thread more closely before purchasing the FTECU as apparently I can't write it and read it back and then change settings. It is still locked down. I must say that I am disappointed. The only reason I purchased the FTECU kit from you was because of the base Graves map that you generated for the Cat Eliminator, with the thought that I would be using it just for that (as a base) and then tweak it further as needed when I had a chance. Had I read this thread more closely I would have realized you said it was locked down and I wouldn't have purchased it if I had realized fully what that meant. I thought it was locked down in that I couldn't change the original, but once it is applied I figured I would be able to tweak it further from there. I wouldn't expect Graves to support me on any changes I made after that, as it would no longer be a Graves map. I just want a good "base" setup.

Last edited by tdh; 03-02-2016 at 01:46 PM.
post #38 of 69 Old 03-02-2016, 10:53 PM
Site Sponsor

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh View Post
Okay, I should have read this thread more closely before purchasing the FTECU as apparently I can't write it and read it back and then change settings. It is still locked down. I must say that I am disappointed. The only reason I purchased the FTECU kit from you was because of the base Graves map that you generated for the Cat Eliminator, with the thought that I would be using it just for that (as a base) and then tweak it further as needed when I had a chance. Had I read this thread more closely I would have realized you said it was locked down and I wouldn't have purchased it if I had realized fully what that meant. I thought it was locked down in that I couldn't change the original, but once it is applied I figured I would be able to tweak it further from there. I wouldn't expect Graves to support me on any changes I made after that, as it would no longer be a Graves map. I just want a good "base" setup.
Hi THD,
Graves develops maps specifically to enhance the performance of our exhaust systems. Most customers want a plug a play solution with the ability to install/receive updates when they are available. (IE a new feature like Auto Blip or a new drive by wire map)
The tools and the time required in developing engine/vehicle maps is a sizable investment. The development of a Graves map for a specific unit is an ongoing process. We receive feedback from a global community of users in the process. Each time a new development is confirmed Graves updates the base map with FTECU for public access located in the FTECU file manager under the Graves map section. Graves does not charge for these maps.
For tuners and general enthusiasts that wish to develop maps that they can call their own, FTECU publishes the stock map and an unrestricted map for users to create/modify. The unrestricted maps that FTECU publishes are a good base line. Additionally FTECU has a section in the file manager for users to share maps.
We hope that you understand our position.
Respectfully and Sincerely
Chuck Graves
post #39 of 69 Old 03-03-2016, 12:07 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Chuck, I do and I don't. I appreciate the feedback and again, had I read this thread more closely I probably would have went a different direction because I am not one of those plug and play customers. I want to know what settings are being made on my ECU and will want to adjust it further. It was just an oversight on my part by not realizing this Graves map would prevent me from making further KEBC and other changes.

This is the 2nd Graves system I bought. I purchased a full system last year for the new ZX10 I bought last year. With that one I just sent the ECU off, got a base flash and then set it up with a full Bazzaz (Zfi-TC + Z-AFM) that I was able to create a few maps with depending on my setup (insert, fuel, etc).

This year I decided to do everything within the ECU and tune myself. I will be spending all day Saturday on the dyno with the unrestricted map so we'll see how it goes. But as I mentioned earlier, I did find a couple of problems with the unrestricted map. For example, the settings for one gear on KEBC is incorrect and medium power mode for another gear is incorrect. Hopefully if you used that as a base for your own map you corrected that. I'm not able to verify it since it is locked down. I did submit a ticket with FTECU to let them know about it so they can fix it in hopes someone else doesn't overlook it.

Again, I was just hoping to use your map as a starting point. Thanks again and no hard feelings. P.S. I also appreciate you being on the forum and I obviously like your products being a repeat customer.
chuckgraves likes this.

Last edited by tdh; 03-03-2016 at 12:54 AM.
post #40 of 69 Old 03-15-2016, 07:54 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

So I now have the Cat Eliminator exhaust on my 2016 and I think it's a lot louder than my full Graves system that I have on my 2014. I did have the Graves insert in it until the lock screw came loose and I shot it out somewhere in the county today. :) I used a Yoshi insert on my full system to quiet it down so I decided to try that in Cat Eliminator and it did seem to quiet it down quite a bit more. The difference is there is about a 6" length of pipe on the Yoshi in addition to the reduction of the outlet. Any chance of Graves coming up with something similar? I think it's too loud even with the Graves insert on the street for me. I'm old. :) No big deal either way as I do have an alternate solution but the Graves insert looks a lot nicer. I do really like the pipe though. ;)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.