29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 Old 10-04-2017, 12:31 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
Too bad I didn't get to see the posts before the rustled jimmies took over the OP, but the video link from the post that the one guy quoted doesn't look that bad at all. Seriously. Usually people that get that butt hurt are like brand new track riders. He's riding pretty damn solid to be honest.

I've never ridden that specific track but if I had to run the same gearing he was, I'd be dropping to 1st instead of lugging out of the corners in second. Losing an easy 2 seconds on his lap time waiting on that motor to spin up driving out of some of those slow corners in 2nd.

I don't agree to the "gear it to the limiter on 6th on the longest straight" mentality. I think that's a lot of shit, I find it far more important to gear the bike for the track in its entirety. If I gear it to hit the limiter in 6th on the straight, that could very well make 2nd gear too short and 3rd too tall for a lot of the corners. Now my drive is suffering out of most corners on the track. So what if you don't hit the limiter in 6th? Hell there a quite a few tracks I ride at that are only 5 gear tracks.
He's definitely got some pace as a rider, especially compared to the others in that video. I didn't have much issue with his line or passing either. He gave up a lot of time in places with his clutching, short shifting and not downshifting enough also killed his drives.

The point is he is always here blaming the machine for his lack of drive. Ken hill has a good podcast about this. Its almost never the machine, unless you're a WSBK or MotoGP rider, you can always stand to improve significantly. https://soundcloud.com/ken-hill-5347...ching-podcasts halfway through he makes a good example of a racer who blamed the bike for poor technique based on bad advice. (more ken hill podcasts: https://soundcloud.com/user-96229025...ching-podcasts)

I know we can all be dicks on here, but if you ask for feedback and then start pissing because you don't get the feedback you want, people giving you feedback will get tired of your shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 10-04-2017, 05:42 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
I don't agree to the "gear it to the limiter on 6th on the longest straight" mentality. I think that's a lot of shit, I find it far more important to gear the bike for the track in its entirety.
You are correct about "track in its entirety", but I guess what you call "lot of shit" may well be best for that track.
Using 1st gear, it is much harder to keep bike stabile and at correct speed at corner entry and you need to be surgically precise with throttle at exit. Using 6th gear to avoid 1st at many corners is good option.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
post #33 of 43 Old 10-04-2017, 10:57 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Id be surly too if i were married to a cheeky Brit. My panties would always be bunched.

Oh wait. Delete! Delete!
CanyonCarver, LDH, obijack and 1 others like this.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

"if you want to be told today to fk off let me no I can help"
- Peter

post #34 of 43 Old 10-04-2017, 12:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

For anyone looking to get better, you have to break down your riding into sections and figure out where you are slower. At the track; track times, sector times, track maps, trackside videos, and trackside spotters help us evaluate these issues. From there, we figure out WHY a rider has a deficiency and solutions to figure it out. In this case we dont really have data or feedback except Ukzx10r's video. So if we take his video

and compare it to James Ellison's lap in a race in BSB

You can get a better idea of where Ukzx10r needs to work on.

If you compare corner for corner, Ukzx10r spends too much time on the brakes/coasting and is not hard enough on the throttle coming out. He is losing a ton of time in these spots. This is compared to Ellison.

So the question is why. Is it rider comfort? Bike setup? Rider technique? Once questions like those are answered, the rider can come up with a game plan and start to work on the deficiencies and move forward.
realpsi and LDH like this.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #35 of 43 Old 10-04-2017, 12:41 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evallarta1 View Post
Once questions like those are answered, the rider can come up with a game plan and start to work on the deficiencies and move forward.
Great reply except you get no answers if the rider puts his fingers in his ears and starts yelling "lalalalalalala" before deleting his posts.
evallarta1 and Otto Man like this.
post #36 of 43 Old 10-04-2017, 12:43 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Great reply except you get no answers if the rider puts his fingers in his ears and starts yelling "lalalalalalala" before deleting his posts.
Maybe he'll come back. And if not, maybe someone else can learn. Heck that's why most of us hang around here, to learn.
JayBoCC2, NinjaLife, LDH and 1 others like this.

Velocity Calibrations
post #37 of 43 Old 10-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
For anyone looking to get better, you have to break down your riding into sections and figure out where you are slower. At the track; track times, sector times, track maps, trackside videos, and trackside spotters help us evaluate these issues. From there, we figure out WHY a rider has a deficiency and solutions to figure it out. In this case we dont really have data or feedback except Ukzx10r's video. So if we take his video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7UD...ature=youtu.be

and compare it to James Ellison's lap in a race in BSB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak1IMn80bI&t=110s

You can get a better idea of where Ukzx10r needs to work on.

If you compare corner for corner, Ukzx10r spends too much time on the brakes/coasting and is not hard enough on the throttle coming out. He is losing a ton of time in these spots. This is compared to Ellison.

So the question is why. Is it rider comfort? Bike setup? Rider technique? Once questions like those are answered, the rider can come up with a game plan and start to work on the deficiencies and move forward.
Neutral throttle is a sonofabitch.
evallarta1 likes this.
post #38 of 43 Old 10-04-2017, 01:40 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBoCC2 View Post
Neutral throttle is a sonofabitch.
That and where to put your eyes. Probably two of the hardest habits to break.

Velocity Calibrations
post #39 of 43 Old 10-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
That and where to put your eyes. Probably two of the hardest habits to break.
Personally i like to stare at the apex until i pass it.
post #40 of 43 Old 10-04-2017, 02:27 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBoCC2 View Post
Personally i like to stare at the apex until i pass it.
I like to stare at cleavage.
CanyonCarver and dricked like this.

Velocity Calibrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.