Gen 2: 2006-2007 Good battery, bike dies at the click of the start button - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-24-2015, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Exclamation Good battery, bike dies at the click of the start button

I wake up this morning and ride to the store (1/2 mile away). I leave the store, put the key in the ignition and turn it. Everything seems normal, and there were no previous signs of any forthcoming issues. The dash lights up, the needle does it's thing, etc. I hit the start button and it dies. Doesn't start, didn't try to turn over. I don't recall hearing a sound at all. I turn the key off, turn it back on, and the dash does NOT light up, but the needle does it's thing. Odd. No lights, nothing, I try to start it regardless... nothing.

Call the neighbor and come jump me (wishful thinking). It starts and runs with the cables connected. As soon as you pull the cables off it dies. So I just catch a ride back to the house with the battery in hand just for shits and gigles. I "charge" it up, which took less than 30 minutes. It tested fine even before the charge.

An hour or so later, I go back with the wife, some fuses, and a multimeter. Best case scenario: fuse... worst case: I walk the bike back home. Well, it started fine surprisingly, so I ran it home real quick. Got it into the garage, cut it off, waited a few seconds and tried to turn it back on. Same thing that happened earlier. It lit up, and then cut off when I hit the start button. Afterward, it wouldn't even light up.

I went to the dealership to have my wife's tires mounted, and asked them about it while I was there. They suggested fuses, or a bad connection somewhere.

I check the fuses, they're all good, unless there's another box somewhere I don't know about? I don't know where to go from here.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-24-2015, 05:35 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Did you do a static battery test or did you load test it. The battery may seem fine until its loaded and then it fails or you have a short somewhere.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-24-2015, 05:45 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Battery shit itself. Replace it.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #4 of 18 Old 09-24-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I tested the battery earlier without a load and assumed it was good. Now I'm not sure. Thoughts? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmB...ature=youtu.be
post #5 of 18 Old 09-24-2015, 06:05 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Battery shit itself. Replace it.

This
Sasquatch, Capncalyx and lun471k like this.

#WordCrimes

post #6 of 18 Old 09-24-2015, 06:31 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Check your charging system and the battery.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Load test the battery before going any further.

As mentioned, bet your battery's bad, followed by a close 2nd of loose cable or connection somewhere.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-25-2015, 08:37 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

+1 to This

And next time, skip the dealership and come here first!
post #9 of 18 Old 09-25-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Alright, obviously I look like a fool :-P I've never experienced a "bad" battery, and I still don't exactly know what one is, or how it happens. I thought it was good since it held a good charge. Learn something new (and simple) everyday I guess. Just picked up a new battery. Thanks everyone for the reassurance that it was the battery. So much better than it being anything else.

And I only went to the dealership to have tires mounted on my wife's bike. I figured I'd inquire about my issue while I was there :-)
post #10 of 18 Old 09-25-2015, 03:10 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgodwin View Post
Alright, obviously I look like a fool :-P I've never experienced a "bad" battery, and I still don't exactly know what one is, or how it happens. I thought it was good since it held a good charge. Learn something new (and simple) everyday I guess. Just picked up a new battery. Thanks everyone for the reassurance that it was the battery. So much better than it being anything else.

And I only went to the dealership to have tires mounted on my wife's bike. I figured I'd inquire about my issue while I was there :-)
Batteries can and will fail over time. It happens. How they fail is different for each battery. Some just slowly lose the ability to hold a charge, others catastrophically fail, and others just trick you. The key here is load testing. They can supply the minimal amperage (this is the key, not voltage) to light up the low power gauges, but as soon as you try to get the battery to produce something to start the bike, it can't do it.

Your first clue should've been that you were able to jump the bike from another battery. And the symptoms after that were also a key indicator. The bike needs a good battery in the system to complete the circuit. The alternator keeps the bike running normally and charges the battery. If the battery is dead or missing, the engine won't run. Clue #1. When you disconnected the jump cables, it died. Clue #2. The third clue is that the battery itself is not holding the charge. While 30 mins of charging isn't usually enough to fully charge it, it should be able to hold enough of a charge to run the bike for a little while and get you some slow cranking power on the starter. Not dead as door nail. Clue #3.

Again, the voltage is only a minor indicator of the health of the battery. Load testing and measuring the amperage output is the only way to tell for sure. But the secondary indications of it's performance can tell you a lot about the state of the battery.

Time to get a lightweight Lithium Shoria replacement from Mike at RidersDiscount!!!

#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.