Gen 1: 2004-2005 Generator repair bulletin - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 242 Old 09-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymeyagi View Post
so wait was this a warranty thing or just them telling you how to correct their mistake?

This is from the Bullutin:

Detail
To ensure durability in prolonged high speed situations such as racing or press testing,
Kawasaki has provided modified AC generator (ACG) spacers for use in race and press
bikes.
Kawasaki Action
Kawasaki has initiated a Factory Directed Modification (FDM) campaign to repair all
eligible units according to “Required Action in Fields” section of this Service Information.
The repair consists of replacing the spacers on the ACG shaft with new spacers which
have a silver plating treatment. The clearance washer on the rotor side must also be
replaced if the currently installed washer is found to be 1.0 mm (t1.0) and the clearance
should be checked and adjusted if necessary.
Kawasaki is also strongly recommending that the higher grade of engine oil specified in the
service and owner’s manual is used at all times. Do not deviate from the recommended
viscosity rating even when racing. If non specified oil is used it will lead to an increased risk
that damage to the ACG may occur.
TYPE: API SH or SJ, JASO MA
VISCOSITY: SAE10w-40
Finally, Kawasaki is reminding that a full and careful break in procedure must be carried
out for all new motorcycles (or new engines when used). This must always be completed
and the oil changed before using for racing or press test. Refer to the Owner’s manual for
details of the break in procedure.

Been talking to the OP sounds like this is a no Warranty thing just a fix if you experiencing some noise...will try to cut and past some other things we talked about but this was one of the questions I asked as well.

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 242 Old 09-13-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymeyagi View Post
so wait was this a warranty thing or just them telling you how to correct their mistake?
As far as i know this was something they did on the bikes that came in during the waranty period, noticed that you did a post about the generator and unless you are changing to a new type i would suggest you go ahead with this procedure to make sure that you have the 1,2mm clearance washer on the rotor side, atleast its better than driving around waiting for it to blow, might wanna check over there in the US if you are able to get this covered by kawasaki since it states that :All units of race and press bikes before Engine No. 018111 are eligible for this repair, asked them over here in norway and got a big no... either way hope this helps
post #13 of 242 Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Would engine # be the same as the last 6 of the vin?

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations

post #14 of 242 Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evallarta1 View Post
Would engine # be the same as the last 6 of the vin?
i would not think so but will check when i get home in a week or so.
post #15 of 242 Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 AM
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmist View Post
Just had a look at the service manual section: electrical system 16-27, seems you do not have to remove the clutch cover in order to remove the generator, anyone care to verify this? will still be at work for another week or there about so i havent had the chance to do this myself yet, just figured this might save people some hassle with the clutch cover atleast.
That is correct. You do not have to remove the clutch cover for generator removal. However, you will need to remove it in order to reinstall the generator. The 2 generator gears are spring loaded so you will need to have someone on the clutch side with a flathead screwdriver to pry the gear teeth to mate into the clutch gear.

I only know because I've removed 4 generators and reinstalled one.

Oh, and motor and vin are different numbers!!

Sent via iPhone

Strictly for my Ninjas

2011 ZX-10R ABS

17/41, Woolich Racing Tuned ECU and QS, Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert, CL XBK5 pads, Yosh case sliders, Mivv Carbon w/ Ti Akra link
post #16 of 242 Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
That is correct. You do not have to remove the clutch cover for generator removal. However, you will need to remove it in order to reinstall the generator. The 2 generator gears are spring loaded so you will need to have someone on the clutch side with a flathead screwdriver to pry the gear teeth to mate into the clutch gear.

I only know because I've removed 4 generators and reinstalled one.

Oh, and motor and vin are different numbers!!

Sent via iPhone
sweet, thanks for the info, this would probably save me some cursing while doing the job..
post #17 of 242 Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 AM
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmist View Post
sweet, thanks for the info, this would probably save me some cursing while doing the job..
No prob. I recommend two people for the reinstall. One the push the generator back into place and hold pressure while the other prys the gear.

Thanks for posting this bulletin!

Sent via iPhone

Strictly for my Ninjas

2011 ZX-10R ABS

17/41, Woolich Racing Tuned ECU and QS, Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert, CL XBK5 pads, Yosh case sliders, Mivv Carbon w/ Ti Akra link
post #18 of 242 Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 AM
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
I just looked through the rest of the pictures. When I originally saw this thread not all the pics were up. You can see in the 2nd to last pic how they are using the flathead to pry the gear into place...

Sent via iPhone

Strictly for my Ninjas

2011 ZX-10R ABS

post #19 of 242 Old 09-13-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
I just looked through the rest of the pictures. When I originally saw this thread not all the pics were up. You can see in the 2nd to last pic how they are using the flathead to pry the gear into place...

Sent via iPhone
yeah i had noticed it just wondered if this was something you had to do or if it would just help you get it done, thanks again for clarifying, will post post some pictures of the generator in my bike when i get home and the end results of the repair, my alternator does have some rattle in it but im not sure how long this have been going on since i just bought the bike, kawasaki norway said that this repair would only help if you had not been running with this problem for too long.. guess its time to find out
post #20 of 242 Old 09-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

my stator windings died and im having no luck finding a C gear 05 generator, and i dont need this thing coming apart and wrecking my motor. i think im going to have no choice but to re use the 04 style generator and change the parts they reccomend and hope for the best i guess. prior to the stator dying i really didnt notice any weird noises but then again i havent taken it completely apart yet as i was trying to find the 05 style generator. hopefully nothings worn out when i get it apart

2004 ZX10R with a little extra kick from a Garrett GT28RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.