Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

Kawasaki ZX-10R.net (http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/)
-   The ZX-10R (http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/)
-   -   Gen 5: Gen5 rear suspention link info needed (http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/gen5-rear-suspention-link-info-needed-303658.html)

Carlos76 05-02-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porschenut (Post 4342674)
will see if I can remove the guts without damaging them.

I made cuts into old bone with angle grinder to get bearings out without pressing. Little heat and lube when pressing into new bone.

Porschenut 05-02-2017 08:29 PM

That's a fantastic idea Carlos! Thanks! With this in mind I have the confidence to go ahead and order a new dogbone now.

Cheers

tmarchon 01-16-2018 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos76 (Post 4319562)
Yes. Gen5 link plates require Gen5 dogbone (longer).

Using Gen5 link with Gen4 shock makes system harder, now you have like 120 spring istead of 110, more compression and rebound damping. This could be bandaid fix for weak Gen4 stock shock rebound, but requires lighter spring for light rider.

Using Gen5 link and Gen5 shock you should get roughly same rear end as Gen5, minor bit harder, since swingarm is shorter.

Using Gen5 aftermarket shock you use Gen5 link too, with gen4 link system will be too soft.

Using Gen4 aftermarket shock you must find out if it is valved for gen4 stock shock or already revalved for aftermarket link (MSS, Kyle, Attack), in this case you use gen5 link because it is very similar to MSS links.

I use Gen4 aftermarket shock (what is revalved for aftermarket link) and Gen5 link. Never tried stock shock in any configuration.

Hi Carlos.

First of all, thanks for sharing all this great info!!

I'm now using a mechatronic Ohlins with 115 spring (88kg geared) and stock link, but found it not to be the best option for hard track use. I'm changing it to a TTX 36 MKII and will run the Gen5 stock link. My plan was to go with Kyle Racing link plus C37 R5 valves and 105 spring, as advised by LDH, but Kyle is not manufacturing it anymore.

Question is: Would the Kyle Racing sugested valving (C35 / R7) and spring be the best solution for the Gen5 link or would you recomend another set of valves and spring?

Thanks in advance!!

Thiago Marchon

LDH 01-16-2018 10:41 AM

We have recently had some excellent results with our .5% Link which was traditionally thought of as our lighter weight linkage. In truth it is more about the condition of the Track, Tires and Rider Requirements than outright Rider Weight. The .5% link with the C36/R5 valving is actually surpassing the performance of our 5% link in some cases for both Racers and Trackday guys once certain criteria is met. There is a time and place for both the linkages we sell and the 5% Link encompasses a broader range of conditions, but for those that can work with the .5% Link it is proving to be very effective.

tmarchon 01-16-2018 11:13 AM

Thanks for the info, LDH.

Would you guys still have any 5% link for sale?? I'd rather go with the one with a broader range, since I'll be racing in 5 or 6 tracks this year. The main track is the one in this video. I'm feeling some loss of traction in a few turn exits under hard acceleration... You can see the rubber marks.

https://youtu.be/VnKQNOPkt7s

LDH 01-16-2018 11:24 AM

No 5% links anytime soon.

What brand of tires are you running?

tmarchon 01-16-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDH (Post 4418465)
No 5% links anytime soon.

What brand of tires are you running?

Pirelli slicks 200/55

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando Tapatalk

LDH 01-16-2018 11:44 AM

I agree you would be better off with the 5%

tmarchon 01-16-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDH (Post 4418481)
I agree you would be much better off with the 5%

I tried to look for a used unit, but looks like nobody wants to get rid of it...

Do you think I could go with same valving and spring using the gen5 or MSS link??

I don't know any tunner here in Brazil that would be able to specify which valves and spring i should go with. It would be lots of trial and error that i can not afford....

LDH 01-16-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarchon (Post 4418489)
I tried to look for a used unit, but looks like nobody wants to get rid of it...

Do you think I could go with same valving and spring using the gen5 or MSS link??

I don't know any tunner here in Brazil that would be able to specify which valves and spring i should go with. It would be lots of trial and error that i can not afford....

I have no experience whatsoever with the OEM G5 or MSS Links. Without a realistic comparison and running the numbers I am simply not in a position to advise you in that manner. Could be awesome or it could be totally meh, but either way I am betting it would not be instant bolt-on success and will require some trial and error. That's the reason our 5% link sold so well. It did exactly what it was supposed to do as long as people set it up exactly the way we told them to.