Gen 5: 2016 -> Gen5 rear suspention link info needed - Page 11 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 112 Old 03-13-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300ZX10R View Post
My shock was revalved for drag use so the rebound is "slower" that stock and for road use is not what I want.
The good thing is that the revalved shock is my spare shock so I have one stock gen4 shock sitting.
It's not an easy job to change shock after every race.
So can I fix that with linkage plates?
I would quess that theoretically improvement with plates is possible in your case.
If you make custom plates where measurement B (see post #1) is 10-12mm longer then what happens is that whole linkage system will be "stronger".
This causes dampings and spring acting "weaker". Linkage will have more "power" to overcome slow rebound and at the same time weaken comression and spring.
All this is theory, in practical application the outcome may or may not be good, because superbikes are very sensitive to these kind of changes.
Linkage ratio in this case will be somewhere arround 2.6 while 2.1 is "sweet" design number for sportbikes.
Loads of work to try that out, hole pattern must set rear heigth exactly correct, if not then flat or steep swingarm angle makes rear ill.
Warning: use of wrong material or some adjustable dogbone may get you killed.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 112 Old 03-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Query:
If swapping out Gen 4 links with Gen 5 OEM links, do you need to also swap out the dogbone from Gen 4 to Gen 5?

This for either keeping Gen 4 shock or moving to either OEM Gen 5 Shock or Gen 5 aftermarket shock?

Confusing but interesting to know for future upgrade purpose.

Thanks.
post #103 of 112 Old 03-14-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitze View Post
Query:
If swapping out Gen 4 links with Gen 5 OEM links, do you need to also swap out the dogbone from Gen 4 to Gen 5?
Yes. Gen5 link plates require Gen5 dogbone (longer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitze View Post
Query:
This for either keeping Gen 4 shock or moving to either OEM Gen 5 Shock or Gen 5 aftermarket shock?
Confusing but interesting to know for future upgrade purpose.
Using Gen5 link with Gen4 shock makes system harder, now you have like 120 spring istead of 110, more compression and rebound damping. This could be bandaid fix for weak Gen4 stock shock rebound, but requires lighter spring for light rider.

Using Gen5 link and Gen5 shock you should get roughly same rear end as Gen5, minor bit harder, since swingarm is shorter.

Using Gen5 aftermarket shock you use Gen5 link too, with gen4 link system will be too soft.

Using Gen4 aftermarket shock you must find out if it is valved for gen4 stock shock or already revalved for aftermarket link (MSS, Kyle, Attack), in this case you use gen5 link because it is very similar to MSS links.

I use Gen4 aftermarket shock (what is revalved for aftermarket link) and Gen5 link. Never tried stock shock in any configuration.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.

Last edited by Carlos76; 03-14-2017 at 08:37 AM.

post #104 of 112 Old 03-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Carlos, thanks for the extensive reply.

Gives me good info for future rear end upgrade path. ))
post #105 of 112 Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300ZX10R View Post
My shock was revalved for drag use so the rebound is "slower" that stock and for road use is not what I want.
The good thing is that the revalved shock is my spare shock so I have one stock gen4 shock sitting.
It's not an easy job to change shock after every race.
So can I fix that with linkage plates?
So are you running stock gen4 plates?
post #106 of 112 Old 03-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the advice Carlos76 , you definitely know what you are talking about.
If I make plates it will only be from 7075 alluminium.

ukzx10r yes I use the gen4 plates with adjustable dog bone.
post #107 of 112 Old 04-27-2017, 03:54 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOP Leader View Post
Gen5 Shock matches with gen5 links. Even though you have access to machines to make your own links and dog bone, why go through the design, programming and setups when you can buy everything for 150. And if you cut your own you still have to source inner parts for the dog bone.

Just seems like a lot of work unless you plan to make a batch.
Is it hard to transfer the inner parts from the stock over to the new link?
post #108 of 112 Old 04-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I just priced out a new Gen 5 dogbone along with the necessary bushings and seals. In Canada those parts total about $150 so probably around $110ish in the states?

So to reiterate Lanister's question...is there any possibility of gutting a Gen 4 dogbone without destroying the bushings and seals and transplanting them into a new Gen 5 dogbone? The Gen 5 dogbone was only $70 CAN so approx. $45-50 US$.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, set up by RMR Suspensions, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modified OEM sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #109 of 112 Old 04-29-2017, 12:13 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I got a gen5 complete link and shock on my gen4 now with a 110 spring. Yet to track it but on the road it feels geat for my weight.
Got the link new off ebay but they are hard to find as most people wont need to change them.
post #110 of 112 Old 05-02-2017, 02:15 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I ordered a used Gen 4 dogbone off eBay ($12 USD)and will see if I can remove the guts without damaging them. I'm sure it's more hassle than it's worth, but if it works I'll have a complete Gen 5 dogbone for about $70 USD as opposed to about $120.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, set up by RMR Suspensions, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modified OEM sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!

Last edited by Porschenut; 05-02-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.