Gen4 gearbox warrenty issues - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 03-09-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen4 gearbox warrenty issues

My bike has 4000 miles on the clock but from when i picked it up its never had a nice gearbox.
After some research and speaking to a few people i find out that some have gearbox issues.
As my bikes under warrenty ive been trying to get it booked in to get it sorted but ive been fobbed off for a bit with various excuses like try adjusting the angle of the gear change clamp that attatches to the gearchange shaft spline and try changing the oil etc etc..
So finally get it booked in and kawasaki refused to do it under warrenty as my bike is too modified.
Ive been arguing the toss with various people but kawasaki uk will not fund it nor will they even offer a reduced rate for parts as apparently the gen4 doesnt have any issues with the gearbox as it comes from the factory!!.
I find this very frustrating as mss and other kawasaki dealers and people i know all say that some gen4s have issues due to them not having good tollerences from the factory and they ideally need new components and reshimming to stop this occouring. If i want this done it can be done at a cost. After a good discount its still 900 pounds to do.
Im very angry with kawasaki as i feel i am being lied to and they know full well there are issues with the gearboxs.
Mine has recently had a quickshifter fitted that didnt help my case but my problem was there way before that so people need to be aware that if you have even the slightest issue that you need to act fast.
The bike must be completely standard. Anything relating it to track usage they will void it.
This is totally unfair as these are sports bikes supposedly designed for performance riding.
Very dissapointed with kawasaki uk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Call Kawasaki corp directly about your warranty question.
post #3 of 39 Old 03-10-2017, 12:48 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

In the US consumers have protections against such claims, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

Essentially the liability is on the manufacturer to prove that your modifications effect the reliability of the oem supplied machine.

Not sure what consumer protections are legislation in the UK?

post #4 of 39 Old 03-10-2017, 01:47 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

you have to hold some responsibility to the use of the bike, knowing you have stated on here (and elsewhere I am assuming) that the bike has been to the track, and you ride it "spirted" on your home area roads.

the early gen 4's had trans issues, (11 and or 12 I believe) but, the most recent years the trans have been flawless, unless a quickshifter with short kill times, or missed shifts, over downshifting has occurred.

I know it is not what you wanted to hear but, it needed to be said. we have to take some responsibility for what we do to the bikes, and how we ride, mod, and maintain them. you cant expect anyone to pay for our mistakes, or misuse.

with that said, I hope you get it sorted for a reasonable cost. Ski

May we all, get to have a chance to ride the fast one, walk away wiser when we crash one, keep hopin that the best one is the last one.
post #5 of 39 Old 03-10-2017, 02:27 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Now wait a minute he clearly stated its been an issue since he bought the bike & has had prolonged difficulties getting the same dealer to even look at the bike , the mods & whatever he does with the bike should not effect the warranty claim.
ukzx10r likes this.

192MPH stock engined 2008
post #6 of 39 Old 03-11-2017, 02:36 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooboy View Post
you have to hold some responsibility to the use of the bike, knowing you have stated on here (and elsewhere I am assuming) that the bike has been to the track, and you ride it "spirted" on your home area roads.
Excuse me...

THIS IS WHAT THE BIKE WAS DESIGNED FOR!

It shouldn't suffer gearbox fault within the bounds of fair use.

ukzx10r doesn't race the bike, but does track days and rides on the road. It is perfectly normal to expect a 6 year old bike not to suffer gearbox problems.

I have a 2005 GSXR 1000 that I have track dayed, rode hard on the road, a race meeting, and crashed quite hard.

Suzuki would still honour the chassis recall after all this. They would even do it if I just gave them a frame.

Kawasaki, if there is an issue, should do the right thing and sort any inherent problems.

The bottom line though is that gearbox issues aren't an official recall, so Kawasaki won't do anything.
post #7 of 39 Old 03-11-2017, 07:32 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I missed the "it's never had a nice gearbox" since picking it up... my fault. change dealers, don't settle for what one dealer tells you. call Kawasaki parent company not kaw uk.

I do stand by my statement, we have to be responsible for our use. people bang gears, over run the rev limit, up shifting. over downshift (no protection from rev limiter on downshifting too far). shift forks, and arms get bent quite easily (especially with quickshifers), and once it starts, it will not fix itself and only get worse.

and as I stated, I wish him luck getting this sorted. I don't want to see him not get it fixed through kaw, I truly hope something can be done.

maybe work a deal with Kawasaki that you will pay to authorize teardown (at a dealer of your choice), to inspect and verify what is wrong with it, and if it is abuse, wear related you will pay for the diagnosis and repairs... BUT, if it is found to be a mfg issue, kaw pays for all of it. then find one of the dealers you spoke with that says there is a problem, and have them help you with the process, and kaw.

good luck! keep us posted on what you, they find.

Ski
Kllongbrake likes this.

May we all, get to have a chance to ride the fast one, walk away wiser when we crash one, keep hopin that the best one is the last one.
post #8 of 39 Old 03-11-2017, 10:41 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You have an aftermarket quickshifter installed. The bike was not designed with a quickshifter like the Gen 5, therefore you you modified it to do something it was not intended to do. An improperly set up quickshifter can destroy a transmission in a matter of minutes. Don't be mad at Kawasaki, be mad at yourself for taking a bike in to get a transmission replacement with an aftermarket part that directly affects the transmission.

Taking it to another dealer won't help you, if Kawasaki denied the claim they have it on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
I have a 2005 GSXR 1000 that I have track dayed, rode hard on the road, a race meeting, and crashed quite hard.

Suzuki would still honour the chassis recall after all this. They would even do it if I just gave them a frame.

Kawasaki, if there is an issue, should do the right thing and sort any inherent problems.

The bottom line though is that gearbox issues aren't an official recall, so Kawasaki won't do anything.
If it's a safety recall, it's a matter of a couple clicks on a computer and it get's paid, no questions asked. A high dollar warranty repair (Like a transmission) the manufacturer will want pictures and may even send a rep to look at it.
post #9 of 39 Old 03-11-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

When i brought the bike i didnt know gen4s can have a bad box and if i did i wasnt to worried about it as it had warrenty.
These bikes are sports bikes and are designed to be riden fast so why cant they go on track? The reason is on track your flat out alot more and the sluggish gear change can start to show when trying to shift quickly.
When i got my bike it was winter here and i did a few hundred miles in cold conditions where i wasnt flat out and the gearchange wasnt so much of an issue then but as the weather warmed up i started to ride faster and then i found the odd faulse nutural and notchy gearchange.
At first i thought it was my fault so didnt think anything about it but when it happened a few more times i thought it cant be just me so started to research it and speak to people which is when i realised there could be an issue.
Thats when i started to question my local dealer about it and didnt get much help on it.
As it happened my dad had a quickshifter going so i thought id try it to see if it helps which it does in some gears but 3rd to 4th is just too slow at engaging so even on the longest time setting its still hit or miss.
The bike had 3500miles on it before i fitted the shifter so not shifters fault.
I can ride it and i did today but i roll off the throttle a tiny bit especialy 3rd to 4th.
Still love the bike to bits but would dearly love it to change gear better.
post #10 of 39 Old 03-11-2017, 04:36 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukzx10r View Post
The bike had 3500miles on it before i fitted the shifter so not shifters fault.
I can ride it and i did today but i roll off the throttle a tiny bit especialy 3rd to 4th.
Still love the bike to bits but would dearly love it to change gear better.
It doesn't matter if the quickshifter caused the problem or not. It is an aftermarket item than can cause the transmission to fail if not set up properly. You brought the bike in with a quickshifter on and Kawasaki probably has pictures of it now. Lesson learned, if you want the manufacturer to warranty something, make sure they don't have proof of you modifying it beyond their specs.

FWIW I have a Gen 4 with a quickshifter and haven't had any issues. If I do, the Gen 4 has a cassette transmission and is easy to remove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.