Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 03-16-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoSM View Post
Put the bike 100% standard again
Yes i did think that as i have all the parts but its on the system now so no good.
Its not the end of the world though as it still rides great
post #33 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 04:17 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Not saying this is the magic bullet but wondering if you have found any improvement when changing oil.

I've just stuck in fresh Castrol Power 1 10w40, and found that the dealer I recently bought the bike from looks like they water down their oil, as if that was freshly put in like they claim, then they're using oil that's like sunflower oil.

Anyway, just rode into work and shifting is night and day different..Can shift up and down the box with no extra effort.

Just wanted to hear other's experiences.

post #34 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
Not saying this is the magic bullet but wondering if you have found any improvement when changing oil.

I've just stuck in fresh Castrol Power 1 10w40, and found that the dealer I recently bought the bike from looks like they water down their oil, as if that was freshly put in like they claim, then they're using oil that's like sunflower oil.

Anyway, just rode into work and shifting is night and day different..Can shift up and down the box with no extra effort.

Just wanted to hear other's experiences.
Not with mine. Its had 4 oil changes in 4000 miles and ive used motul and colchester kawasaki fitted good oil in it but its never made any difference to mine
post #35 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 05:34 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukzx10r View Post
Not with mine. Its had 4 oil changes in 4000 miles and ive used motul and colchester kawasaki fitted good oil in it but its never made any difference to mine
I'm not sure how it all works but would getting the gearbox cogs superfinished help?

I've heard this guy is highly rated in tuning

Might be worth a call
https://www.racedevelopments.co.uk/s...ing/index.html
post #36 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
I'm not sure how it all works but would getting the gearbox cogs superfinished help?

I've heard this guy is highly rated in tuning

Might be worth a call
https://www.racedevelopments.co.uk/s...ing/index.html
Well from what i understand the shafts were poorly finished from the factory.
This i cannot confirm other than mss get shafts polished up smooth.
This can cause dragging gears.
Couple that with a slight bit of tollerance on the shimming and you have a gearbox that isnt going to last long.
Im trying to do some research into the gearboxs and how to rebuild them so i can do it all myself when i get time.
I might try machine undercuts on the dogs at work.
This wont happen over night as im a very busy person but i will take pictures and write a guide after as theres not enough info on the web for liking
post #37 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Super finish is the technical name for polishing Iv had race developments do for me in the past they are expensive for the same results as everybody else that does it but the individual dog teeth near machining flat & back cut prior to polishing it's very rare that a transmission needs shims as back cutting snaps it all in shimming will only increase inertia timers go to incredible lengths to lighten transmission shimming adds weight & should only be needed in higher mileage road bikes.
post #38 of 39 Old 03-21-2017, 06:44 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4012 View Post
Super finish is the technical name for polishing Iv had race developments do for me in the past they are expensive for the same results as everybody else that does it but the individual dog teeth near machining flat & back cut prior to polishing it's very rare that a transmission needs shims as back cutting snaps it all in shimming will only increase inertia timers go to incredible lengths to lighten transmission shimming adds weight & should only be needed in higher mileage road bikes.
This is what I would think from a logical perspective.

If the finishing is not smooth then the interface between cog teeth will not be accurate and every missed interface will make the problem worse as more burrs or rough edges are created.

I would have thought that the solution would be to machine all cogs so that they interface cleanly, not move the alignments of them.
post #39 of 39 Old 03-22-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

As with anything all the components will have tollerances.
But the gearboxes are not individually set and shimmed to suit from the factory so some will be better than others.
What mss would do is exactly set up each gearbox with the correct shims so each gear is exactly as it needs to be to and get the dogs as close to the next gear as possible to make it change gear quicker.
I fully believe what mss do works as they have a great reputation for this.
Just one nasty missed gear can cause dammage so it needs to be set right from new for spirited riding.
My arguement was a zx10 is designed for spirited riding (allegedly) so this should be covered by warrenty.
Plus any form of dragging of the gears is gonna cause issues from day 1.
Its not the end of the world and it is resolvable but annoyed kawasaki are claiming the problem doesnt exist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.