Gen4 gearbox warrenty issues - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 Old 03-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Good luck UK. Hope you get it all sorted out. I had the same first days false neutrals on my 2015 as TDH and some of the same problems, or so it sounds, as you do. Only complaint about the bike. After a few missed shifts in the upper rev range I've really lost my confidence in this tranny. Before my quickshifter it happened a couple times, I think 3rd-4th, maybe it was 4th-5th. Scared the crap out of me every time. Thought it was me so went to a quickshifter. Woolich and race tools, I think. Works flawless 99% of the time but still in the upper gear range at WOT it will miss a shift. Very rarely but it has still been a problem. Hope you keep us up to date on how you get it sorted.
ukzx10r likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 03-12-2017, 11:20 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I forgot you worked in a machine shop, the shift forks & individual gears you will need to inspect individually, the tolerances are in the workshop manual. I left you a reply over on the other internet.
ukzx10r likes this.

192MPH stock engined 2008
post #23 of 39 Old 03-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm noticing its a little difficult shifting down gears. Is this how it starts?

Shifting up is no problem, but shifting down with a healthy blip of the throttle is a little sticky.

Are quickshifters not recommended on gen 4s?

post #24 of 39 Old 03-13-2017, 11:06 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
I'm noticing its a little difficult shifting down gears. Is this how it starts?

Shifting up is no problem, but shifting down with a healthy blip of the throttle is a little sticky.

Are quickshifters not recommended on gen 4s?
I wasn't going to reply to this thread because I don't have a quick shifter, but that is exactly the way mine started. Shifting up is easy but down requires a little clutch lever release. Now, on top of that, the shift lever occasionally does not return.

Thou Shalt Respect Thy 10, And Revel In It's Power, For It Is Good, And Plentiful.
post #25 of 39 Old 03-14-2017, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Mine has no issues shifting down at all.
Only up.
But i guess this is a simular problem of bad tollerances making parts stiff to move and engage
post #26 of 39 Old 03-14-2017, 07:46 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The Gen 4 has no box issues, for standard usage, in racing they shim the box because it can kick out between third and fourth gear hence why MSS Kawasaki shim them. They deal with a lot of race bikes so of course they shim lots of boxesfor street and track should be fine, but at the top level the boxes get shimmed along with lightened cranks and all other kinds of mods.

Kawasaki wont warranty a box as its a consumable eg if it wears its consumable. If it was happening from day one I would have taken the bike back in the first month and got it sorted.
post #27 of 39 Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

No body has ever had to Polish, Cut back or Shim a kit part transmission because it's so finely machined already does anbody think a ZX10 could win a WSB or BSB with a MSS shimed stock transmission
post #28 of 39 Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBZ10R View Post
The Gen 4 has no box issues, for standard usage, in racing they shim the box because it can kick out between third and fourth gear hence why MSS Kawasaki shim them. They deal with a lot of race bikes so of course they shim lots of boxesfor street and track should be fine, but at the top level the boxes get shimmed along with lightened cranks and all other kinds of mods.

Kawasaki wont warranty a box as its a consumable eg if it wears its consumable. If it was happening from day on5e I would have taken the bike back in the first month and got it sorted.
I would have taken it back had i of realised there was an issue with high rev gear changes. The trouble is as ive said before in winter you dont tend to ride too hard so didnt realise until summer came round at just 1500 miles on the clock that i found a faulse nutural.
Yamahas recalled their boxs coz of gearbox issues so kawasaki should have done the same.
My bike is a road bike and yes ive done two track days on it and got faulse nutruals on the first one where i had no shifter fitted.
Also its a sports bike isnt it?
Its supposed to ridden hard like previous zx10s so why does this model suffer from issues?
Reason is they were poorly finished and setup from the factory so some develop faults.
post #29 of 39 Old 03-16-2017, 02:23 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

It doesn't look to painful to remove the cassette gearbox from the motor.

Looks like cheap insurance to do that, hand it to an engineering company to polish and clean the cogs.

You think we got it bad, was randomly on the Ducati Panigale forum yesterday and found a huge thread where 1199 and 1299s just randomly turn off mid corner, mid junction.

This shit shouldn't happen but at least we have a fix. Ducati haven't solved this after years.

I know this is crap and the other litre sports bikes I've owned that had issues werr dealt with under warranty so Kawasaki should do the same if this is wide spread.

My 04 R1 had issues on the TPS which caused the bike to shut off...Yamaha fixed under warranty. My 05 GSXR1000 had recall on frame and brake master cylinder issues..again Suzuki sorted under warranty.

Maybe Kawasaki is a bad company in these matters. They didn't warranty the gen 1 frame braking issue so I guess they have previous.

Someone told that in British Superbikes in 04, they were changing ZX10R frames like it was a consumable :)
post #30 of 39 Old 03-16-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
It doesn't look to painful to remove the cassette gearbox from the motor.

Looks like cheap insurance to do that, hand it to an engineering company to polish and clean the cogs.

You think we got it bad, was randomly on the Ducati Panigale forum yesterday and found a huge thread where 1199 and 1299s just randomly turn off mid corner, mid junction.

This shit shouldn't happen but at least we have a fix. Ducati haven't solved this after years.

I know this is crap and the other litre sports bikes I've owned that had issues werr dealt with under warranty so Kawasaki should do the same if this is wide spread.

My 04 R1 had issues on the TPS which caused the bike to shut off...Yamaha fixed under warranty. My 05 GSXR1000 had recall on frame and brake master cylinder issues..again Suzuki sorted under warranty.

Maybe Kawasaki is a bad company in these matters. They didn't warranty the gen 1 frame braking issue so I guess they have previous.

Someone told that in British Superbikes in 04, they were changing ZX10R frames like it was a consumable :)
Funny that as my gen1 had cracked frame too. I had it veed out and welded up stronger than new. It was out of warrenty though so didnt bother trying. As for my current bike, that is in warrenty aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhh!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.