Gen 5: 2016 -> Gen 5 tuning questions, mainly idle - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 04-11-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 5 tuning questions, mainly idle

Good afternoon! I'm working on tuning my gen 5 and have some questions. I've searched, but now real thread on tuning this bike.

Archer has been a godsend thus far, but I feel bad emailing with questions constantly.

Bike is almost brand new (215 miles) with Woolich logbox, slip on, ais blocked off and stock O2 disconnected.

I can't get it to idle for the life of me. I used the easy EU from map share and started auto tuning. The bike has unreal power, but idles like shit.

I've added fuel, raised idle to 1400 and tried to just auto tune with idling.

Please help! And feel free to post any tuning secrets you may have on this bike. It could help a lot of us new to the Zx10 (my CBRs were easy but slow in comparison)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-11-2017, 06:10 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

if it doesn't stall at a stop than stop over thinking this bike.
post #3 of 34 Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I put one of my bikes map on map share , and use 1600RPM at Idle ,you may need more timing for different exhausts. 2016 ZX10R map ,Autotuned

working on Austin Racing exhaust right now ,fuel map is a bit different but using the same timing map.
dalemac likes this.

post #4 of 34 Old 04-12-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 5 tuning questions, mainly idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
if it doesn't stall at a stop than stop over thinking this bike.

While I understand your point, I have to disagree. Having a brand new bike that you're ashamed of while idling at a stoplight or in the pits is not ok.

And I'm an engineer, I was trained to overthink everything....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dalemac; 04-12-2017 at 09:00 AM.
post #5 of 34 Old 04-12-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffeee View Post
I put one of my bikes map on map share , and use 1600RPM at Idle ,you may need more timing for different exhausts. 2016 ZX10R map ,Autotuned

working on Austin Racing exhaust right now ,fuel map is a bit different but using the same timing map.

1600? Wow, I wouldn't have thought to go that high. I was kinda uncomfortable with 1400. I'll pull your map and take a peek at it.

Right now I have auto tune trying for 13.2, thinking of adding a little more fuel.

post #6 of 34 Old 04-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Get an Ftecu flash from Nels

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 34 Old 04-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemac View Post
1600? Wow, I wouldn't have thought to go that high. I was kinda uncomfortable with 1400. I'll pull your map and take a peek at it.

Right now I have auto tune trying for 13.2, thinking of adding a little more fuel.

you don't have to do what i did,you ask a question and give you what I think is right for me, keep the RPM at 1000 add timing .

when you took the back pressure off the engine you have to correct it ,and fuel doesn't correct everything.
post #8 of 34 Old 04-12-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
you don't have to do what i did,you ask a question and give you what I think is right for me, keep the RPM at 1000 add timing .

when you took the back pressure off the engine you have to correct it ,and fuel doesn't correct everything.

I don't think you took my comment the way I intended. I was not attacking you or what you did to overcome the issue, just looking for info and experience.

Thanks for the help

post #9 of 34 Old 04-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Here is the way i am doing it on another bike, the rider like you wants a low idle RPM so i set it to 1200RPM at idle.

on ignition map, I set his idle Ignition 1 degree higher, on .6 over 1000,1200 and 1400 RPM

IAP map, I change 24 through 18 over 1000 through 1400 RPM for richer fuel its between 400-500 ,you need to do this manually. then bring the Engine data up and look at A/F should be around 11-12 , you may need to add or deduct fuel for the exhaust you are running.
dalemac likes this.
post #10 of 34 Old 04-12-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Here is the way i am doing it on another bike, the rider like you wants a low idle RPM so i set it to 1200RPM at idle.

on ignition map, I set his idle Ignition 1 degree higher, on .6 over 1000,1200 and 1400 RPM

IAP map, I change 24 through 18 over 1000 through 1400 RPM for richer fuel its between 400-500 ,you need to do this manually. then bring the Engine data up and look at A/F should be around 11-12 , you may need to add or deduct fuel for the exhaust you are running.

That's precisely the info I was looking for! Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.