Gen 5: 2016 -> Gen 5 Recall Post Work Results - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 03-14-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 5 Recall Post Work Results

Lets keep a thread for your recall experience, and how the bike behaves after the work has been performed.

I'll start first.

Took my bike to the dealer, and picked it up today. The bike no longer shifts properly, or at all. Gears 1, and 2 appear to be fine. With the bike stopped, and in first gear, I was able to shift through neutral and into 2nd gear. This happened a couple times, and a couple times it successfully prevented it.

The bike now usually fails to shift into 3rd, 4th, and at least 5th gear (6th was not tested). The gear indicator goes up, however it does not catch, and behaves as if the bike is in neutral.

I took the bike immediately back to the dealer, and they test rode it, and confirmed the behavior.

So now the next step is to tear it apart again. This is fkn great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 03-14-2018, 07:36 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Sorry to hear of your experience. But that's a failure on the part of the mechanic doing the work. The PNF (Positive Neutral Finder) is a set of ball-bearings in the output shaft that will restrain the gear pairs. Put grease on them during assembly and the unit will fail. Very common if the half-ass it. It also sounds like the shift shaft wasn't put in correctly either and that's what is causing the irregular shifting. Let them look into it for you, stay positive about it, but keep a close eye on them. It shouldn't be a symptom of the recall or replacement parts. FYI.
CanyonCarver and ddipaola like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 45 Old 03-14-2018, 07:38 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsNStuff View Post
Lets keep a thread for your recall experience, and how the bike behaves after the work has been performed.

I'll start first.

Took my bike to the dealer, and picked it up today. The bike no longer shifts properly, or at all. Gears 1, and 2 appear to be fine. With the bike stopped, and in first gear, I was able to shift through neutral and into 2nd gear. This happened a couple times, and a couple times it successfully prevented it.

The bike now usually fails to shift into 3rd, 4th, and at least 5th gear (6th was not tested). The gear indicator goes up, however it does not catch, and behaves as if the bike is in neutral.

I took the bike immediately back to the dealer, and they test rode it, and confirmed the behavior.

So now the next step is to tear it apart again. This is fkn great!

Iím waiting for my dealer to get the parts in...you are not helping my anxiety!

Iíll post the results after they complete my recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ddipaola and songwriter like this.

post #4 of 45 Old 03-14-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Sorry to hear of your experience. But that's a failure on the part of the mechanic doing the work. The PNF (Positive Neutral Finder) is a set of ball-bearings in the output shaft that will restrain the gear pairs. Put grease on them during assembly and the unit will fail. Very common if the half-ass it. It also sounds like the shift shaft wasn't put in correctly either and that's what is causing the irregular shifting. Let them look into it for you, stay positive about it, but keep a close eye on them. It shouldn't be a symptom of the recall or replacement parts. FYI.
I completely agree with you. This cassette transmission was designed to have the gears swapped in and out for different race tracks. It's definitely the mechanics fault, I have no doubt.

I went through the service manual before taking it to them, and was aware of the PNF and the ball-bearings. It was the very first thing I tested before leaving the dealers lot. When it failed to prevent me from shifting into 2nd, I just knew it... I foookn knew it, they failed to properly install something - or everything.

I have my test ride on video. Maybe I'll post it up on youtube.
ddipaola likes this.
post #5 of 45 Old 03-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

My bike shifts 100% better after having the recall done. No excuses why someone would botch this recall work, I would not take my bike back to that place if I was in your shoes.
post #6 of 45 Old 03-15-2018, 01:03 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Unhappy

I am waiting on my bike from the dealer...thumb up my a$$...gonna be in the 60 -70 degree range here this week...$%&#$^@!
post #7 of 45 Old 03-15-2018, 01:36 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

In this day and age there are skill shortages, its sad but true, i also feel that something relatively simple like cassette transmission will be assigned to apprentices yes scarry really but i'm also sure most dealers don't want to waste time and money re working warranty work so it'll be a lesson learned. it could be worse pre 2011 the engine cases needing splitting to get the transmission out.

192MPH stock engined 2008
post #8 of 45 Old 03-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Just got mine back. Wont be back to Kawasaki out here. (takes deep breath) I took mine in at the very beginning of the recall.. They had it for 2 weeks. Called to tell me its done, but they picked up a nail and now must order a tire. so 1 extra week. Its kinda crazy how its a motorcycle service center but the area where you ride into is littered with gravel and nails? To rub it in, I can tell my bike was outside in the rain because of how dirty it is. Anytime I take my car in for maintenance they shine the tires, clean the windshield. Sometimes pressure wash it. Not this place. And not to mention I prob would have bought the bike from them if I didn't wander around their showroom twice for 30plus minutes with no acknowledgement.. Maybe I'm being critical.. If I am feel free to tell me to stfu.
post #9 of 45 Old 03-16-2018, 02:15 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualreadyknow209 View Post
Just got mine back. Wont be back to Kawasaki out here. (takes deep breath) I took mine in at the very beginning of the recall.. They had it for 2 weeks. Called to tell me its done, but they picked up a nail and now must order a tire. so 1 extra week. Its kinda crazy how its a motorcycle service center but the area where you ride into is littered with gravel and nails? To rub it in, I can tell my bike was outside in the rain because of how dirty it is. Anytime I take my car in for maintenance they shine the tires, clean the windshield. Sometimes pressure wash it. Not this place. And not to mention I prob would have bought the bike from them if I didn't wander around their showroom twice for 30plus minutes with no acknowledgement.. Maybe I'm being critical.. If I am feel free to tell me to stfu.
i feel you bro and I have had my own bad experiences at stealerships both motorcycle and my cager vehicles. Hard to find good places to work on your shit. This is why i do my own work on everything i own... but with recall work you have no choice and it sucks there is not more places that have good mechanics and actually care about your shit when they work on it.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~-1 +2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
post #10 of 45 Old 03-16-2018, 03:57 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualreadyknow209 View Post
I dealt with that + getting ripped off at every turn during my first two years riding and learned quickly that i need to learn how to throw a wrench and then was surprised how easy most stuff is.

Im damn lucky to have a former Schwantz instructor / WERA racer about 20 minutes from me with a full shop (bigger than his own house lol). I do most of my own stuff but like when im gonna get tires put on next week - Reuben at 35Motorsports will hafta do that for me til i get a tire setup. So thankful to have him, dude could probably weld two nickles together if i really needed it, full Serdi valve jobs, susp setups, head work, you name it as well as advice that i lean on when i need to. Reuben, you rock dude.

Damn, did i just thread jack? My bad.

Rock over London, Rock on Chicago!

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

..known Internet Suspension Warrior....And Plinko Master!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.