Gen 5 ABS disable possible? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-03-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 5 ABS disable possible?

I have a '16 Gen 5 ABS that I love but really don't love the ABS.. For those that know, is it a matter of simply pulling two fuses under the seat to disable it with no side effects, like I read you can do on the Gen 4's? Or does the Gen 5 with the IMU and new electronics make this impossible?

2016 ZX-10R KRT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
As far as I know, you need the dongle to plug in. There's a plug port for it under the tail cowling on the right.

2016 - ZX-10R KRT Winter Edition
https://www.instagram.com/superbike.turtle/
post #3 of 11 Old 07-03-2017, 11:36 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You can leave the ABS unit installed and plugged in,remove the lines that come off of it, and plug the holes with either small hardware or silicone. Buy steel braided lines for a non abs bike and install them from the master cylinders directly to the calipers like they would on a non abs model. Only thing you can't remove is the ABS unit itself. If you leave that plugged in, your dash won't throw any codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honey Badger likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitech View Post
You can leave the ABS unit installed and plugged in,remove the lines that come off of it, and plug the holes with either small hardware or silicone. Buy steel braided lines for a non abs bike and install them from the master cylinders directly to the calipers like they would on a non abs model. Only thing you can't remove is the ABS unit itself. If you leave that plugged in, your dash won't throw any codes.

Glad to find this - may be picking up a second Gen 5 as my street bike just got totaled today by someone making an illegal U-turn into my lane. Their insurance isn't even bothering to put up a fight yet (no reason to, besides it being pretty clear cut I have it all on video), and my dealer has a couple ABS models that are marked way down, but I'd disable that as quick as I could, was wondering if it was a relatively easy thing to do.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
post #5 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 06:35 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Glad to find this - may be picking up a second Gen 5 as my street bike just got totaled today by someone making an illegal U-turn into my lane. Their insurance isn't even bothering to put up a fight yet (no reason to, besides it being pretty clear cut I have it all on video), and my dealer has a couple ABS models that are marked way down, but I'd disable that as quick as I could, was wondering if it was a relatively easy thing to do.

Glad youíre posting about it and that youíre ok! Youíve been lucky so far havenít ya?!

In theory itís all easy. Remove the lines, plug the module. But some of the fittings in the rear are extremely soft, and if you strip them or god forbid crush them, youíll be having a ďfunĒ time removing it the rest of he way.

Grab some beer and take your time. Itíll be a nice little one day project!

Been thinking about picking up a gen 5...................... but I like not having payments for things I drive and ride at the moment! And my gen 4 only has about 2,600 miles on it since I was deployed a lot shortly after buying it.

Oh well.... Letís see how much longer I can be a good boy.

post #6 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitech View Post
Glad youíre posting about it and that youíre ok! Youíve been lucky so far havenít ya?!

In theory itís all easy. Remove the lines, plug the module. But some of the fittings in the rear are extremely soft, and if you strip them or god forbid crush them, youíll be having a ďfunĒ time removing it the rest of he way.

Grab some beer and take your time. Itíll be a nice little one day project!

Been thinking about picking up a gen 5...................... but I like not having payments for things I drive and ride at the moment! And my gen 4 only has about 2,600 miles on it since I was deployed a lot shortly after buying it.

Oh well.... Letís see how much longer I can be a good boy.

Hahaha, thank for the warning, i will keep that in mind! And yes, I'm fine, couple bruises but I don't think they're anything more than that. He has AAA insurance, so they seem to be pretty efficient and easy to work with. Claiming 100% their responsibility.

The Gen 5 are amazing. Love that beast. Despite my frustrations trying to get fast on it, but that's not the bikes fault anymore
Helitech likes this.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
post #7 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 06:58 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Hahaha, thank for the warning, i will keep that in mind! And yes, I'm fine, couple bruises but I don't think they're anything more than that. He has AAA insurance, so they seem to be pretty efficient and easy to work with. Claiming 100% their responsibility.

The Gen 5 are amazing. Love that beast. Despite my frustrations trying to get fast on it, but that's not the bikes fault anymore

Good luck with the insurance claim and heal fast! Iíll hold out a bit longer... Iíll just keep telling myself my 4 year old daughter eats way too much to keep me away from the dealerships hahaha

post #8 of 11 Old 08-14-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwa View Post
As far as I know, you need the dongle to plug in. There's a plug port for it under the tail cowling on the right.
I would love to do this, but I cant find the dongle anywhere online.. Anyone have a link?

2016 ZX-10R KRT
post #9 of 11 Old 08-14-2017, 05:10 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have the dongle for mine. Even with the dongle you can only permanently disable the rear ABS. If you want to turn the front off you have to do it every time you start the bike, similar to having to shut the traction control off every time you start (if you prefer to have it off all the time). Personally, I have found just disabling the rear enough for me. I can still do stoppies with the front ABS on. The only time I have ever had it kick in is when the front tire actually loses traction and slides, and to be honest, I don't mind the ABS kicking in in that situation. Now I do prefer to ride with TC off because with TC on you cannot get the front up anywhere close to the balance point. Of course I don't do full stoppies but I regularly get the rear at least a foot off the ground with front ABS on. It lets me lift the rear when braking at the end of straights on the track as well. I have never had the front ABS kick in on the track, even when racing.

post #10 of 11 Old 08-14-2017, 05:15 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

if you know supers, simply DO NOT buy abs; if you don't know supers, why buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.