Gen 4 zx10r clutch pattern.? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-04-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 4 zx10r clutch pattern.?

Hey everyone..

Can someone breakdown the clutch pattern for me.. Which Disc goes in first to last..? I just bought the springs and friction plates from Barnett ( 10 frictions and 6 heavy duty springs)., oem steel plates ( 2 of
13089-0009., 7 of 13089-1093) and ( 1 of 92144-1854 and 1 of 92200-1260) washers..
So curious if anyone had the correct oder to put them in and which way they face.. Worried that the previous owner didn't put it in right..

*2012 zx10r

Thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-04-2018, 05:07 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Man, you need the service manual. The part numbers don't mean much without referencing the exploded view. I'm sorry to hear you bought the Barnett ones.

If you haven't bathed the friction plates in oil overnight, that's the first thing to do. Load up a ziploc bag with the plates, put some oil in the bag, and seal it up for the night.

Are you wanting the order of the friction plates? The smaller, higher block count friction plates go at the ends (first and last in) to ride against the hub and basket. The last plate to go in is offset one tang from the others. The other frictions are all the same.

The steel plates consist of 7 the same and 2 different. The 2 plates go in the slots deepest in the basket and are slightly thicker to help house the spring plates. It's hard to describe without looking at the images. Basically it goes like this....

high count friction, thicker steel, spring seat, spring (raised edge out), friction, thicker steel, friction, steel, friction, steel, friction, steel.........high count friction offset and the hub plate.

Hope that makes sense. Pictures are better though.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Last edited by SkyDork; 04-04-2018 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added smiley
post #3 of 19 Old 04-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

This sounds silly, but I've ridden for a lot of years. Back in the days where lunch money was saved to by parts, I would often buy decent , used oem clutch parts in an effort to avoid Barnett. Nowdays, with ebay, thats not as hard as it once was.

The reason being is the Barnett plates were inconsistent, and the would drag. I have no use for them , but I hope you do ok with yours.

I always felt like Barnett had a Mission statement of selling every motorcycle owner one clutch kit. They sure as hell would never get them , twice. Still, one clutch kit, times millions of owners, still meant good overall sales.

Also, this is just my opinion, but if you went through the Barnett warehouse, my brain says you would find the ebc brake pad company, buried in a corner.
SkyDork likes this.

post #4 of 19 Old 04-05-2018, 09:48 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
This sounds silly, but I've ridden for a lot of years. Back in the days where lunch money was saved to by parts, I would often buy decent , used oem clutch parts in an effort to avoid Barnett. Nowdays, with ebay, thats not as hard as it once was.

The reason being is the Barnett plates were inconsistent, and the would drag. I have no use for them , but I hope you do ok with yours.

I always felt like Barnett had a Mission statement of selling every motorcycle owner one clutch kit. They sure as hell would never get them , twice. Still, one clutch kit, times millions of owners, still meant good overall sales.

Also, this is just my opinion, but if you went through the Barnett warehouse, my brain says you would find the ebc brake pad company, buried in a corner.
That was my experience also. Used Barnett one time because it was immediately available versus ordering and waiting for OEM to arrive when I needed it. Bad move.

I always had issues with the engagement point on the clutch lever floating around and not being consistent. It didn't have the same feel or consistency as OEM. I gave it a shot for many rides to try and get used to it. It got stripped back out after a couple thousand miles. It served it's purpose for being an interim solution, but I have no confidence they've done anything different and won't waste my time with them in the future.
rcannon likes this.

#WordCrimes

post #5 of 19 Old 04-05-2018, 12:50 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
That was my experience also. Used Barnett one time because it was immediately available versus ordering and waiting for OEM to arrive when I needed it. Bad move.

I always had issues with the engagement point on the clutch lever floating around and not being consistent. It didn't have the same feel or consistency as OEM. I gave it a shot for many rides to try and get used to it. It got stripped back out after a couple thousand miles. It served it's purpose for being an interim solution, but I have no confidence they've done anything different and won't waste my time with them in the future.
Good timing. Sorry OP for this hijack of the thread. Now i'm steering right to ronayers.com for OEM equipment unless otherwise instructed to another site with better prices.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-05-2018, 02:08 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F SANE IL View Post
Good timing. Sorry OP for this hijack of the thread. Now i'm steering right to ronayers.com for OEM equipment unless otherwise instructed to another site with better prices.
Good deal! Ronayers is pretty competitive! I've had good luck in the past also with Honda East Toledo. It's more of a toss-up these days on who has better pricing.

#WordCrimes

post #7 of 19 Old 04-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Good deal! Ronayers is pretty competitive! I've had good luck in the past also with Honda East Toledo. It's more of a toss-up these days on who has better pricing.
Thanks! I'll check it out. Need to replace clutch asap before May 6 track day.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-05-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Didn't know Barnett had a bad rep.. I've ran my 05 636 and 06 zx10r with the same setup (Barnett fiction plates and springs with oem steel plates) and never had a problem after the install.. Hopefully I have that luck with it again..

I'd get the manual but wanted to save the money and get some info here..

Thanks..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171216_132635_1522956527505.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	624.8 KB
ID:	414426   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171216_132431_1522956575748.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	635.4 KB
ID:	414434   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171216_132614_1522956624724.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	414442  
post #9 of 19 Old 04-05-2018, 02:52 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixte View Post
Didn't know Barnett had a bad rep.. I've ran my 05 636 and 06 zx10r with the same setup (Barnett fiction plates and springs with oem steel plates) and never had a problem after the install.. Hopefully I have that luck with it again..

I'd get the manual but wanted to save the money and get some info here..

Thanks..
Love those phat 05 636's. Had the same one before I got my zx10. Too bad i sold it into the wrong hands. (guy totaled it)
post #10 of 19 Old 04-05-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Check out PARTZILLA for oem parts.. They were the cheapest for my oem steel plates and washers.. They were around $25 cheaper than Ronayers.. I shopped 6 different websites before ordering..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in