Gen 5: 2016 -> Forks too stiff? What about rear. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-15-2017, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Forks too stiff? What about rear.

Hopefully looking to pick up a G5 at some point.

I heard from a suspension guy that the forks have overly stiff springs and the suspension is difficult to dial in without a spring change.

Is this still true if you're only racing the bike and (like me) weigh around 211 lbs?

Also is the rear shock any good for racing (unlike the G4 shock)?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I weigh 195-200 suited and other then taking a couple turns of compression out of the rear i didn't think it was bad at all.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-15-2017, 11:47 AM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Nobody that is serious races on stock suspension. NOBODY
CanyonCarver likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-16-2017, 05:35 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 5 rear shock is better than Gen 4 but like the man said, not for racing.

New fork internals and replace rear shock. Then there is all the other stuff you will need to do, enjoy )
post #5 of 15 Old 09-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I suppose if your last name is Marquez, Rea, Sykes.. Then ya.. You might not care for the crap stockers.. But for the rest of us mere mortals, you'd be surprised how good the 2016+ suspension really is. Kawi really set a new standard regarding stock suspension.. Watch E*ay and see how much they're getting for the new forks and how long they stay on the market. Not too much more and you can buy a set of Ohlins.. I know several local racers that have been converting their bikes over to the new Gen forks as well as building new bikes around the new Kawi forks.. Try it first, then make up your own mind.. Your weight class and your experience will grow. These springs most likely be perfect for you and track day's possibly even a race or two.

Just sayin..

RC
White Fang likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-18-2017, 12:07 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

front springs need to be stiffer than for your weight, rear spring will need an upgrade to your proper weight, front forks will need valves. are you racing to win, going for a #1 plate or $, or just having a good time? got a few grand to drop into it? if you're racing for fun, don't waste your money, just enjoy the stock setup. to push it, you need to upgrade it. doesn't matter what bike you're on.
White Fang likes this.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
post #7 of 15 Old 09-18-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the comments.

I will use an aftermarket rear shock for now and see how I go before spending on the front.

The bike I'm looking at has Ktech springs sprung for my weight, so there is that.

Does anyone that races on a budget with the stock front suspension have any real world experience in use?

I have seen some competitive lap times from some that use stock, but I guess the real question is how hard they would have had to push to achieve them compared to say if they had used a quality cartridge kit.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Argh... When you honestly feel that this suspension is holding you back, thats when you might consider dropping the big dollars..

I talked to several respected (known racers) and suspension pro's.. Before deciding on my ZX. They're the ones who pointed out just how good the new stockers are. Which pushed me over to the ZX paddock.. Including the rear shock, although not as good as the front... Also from your post's.. It sounds as if You haven't even rode one yet let alone set up for you?? Might I suggest you try it first..

RC
post #9 of 15 Old 09-18-2017, 10:44 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Don't waste time and money racing stock shock, a properly dialed aftermarket shock gives you grip, confidence, safety, tyre life, serviceability.
I think fork cartridges are needed if pace gets below 8s from lap record. Unlike with gen4 forks, the gen5 benefits from a piston kit (I know two slow racers who say that forks are perfect for them with Andreani kit).

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-19-2017, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51-05 View Post
Argh... When you honestly feel that this suspension is holding you back, thats when you might consider dropping the big dollars..

I talked to several respected (known racers) and suspension pro's.. Before deciding on my ZX. They're the ones who pointed out just how good the new stockers are. Which pushed me over to the ZX paddock.. Including the rear shock, although not as good as the front... Also from your post's.. It sounds as if You haven't even rode one yet let alone set up for you?? Might I suggest you try it first..

RC
You're right I haven't...I haven't bought the gen 5 yet...I only sat on one the other day :) I'm just mentally adding up the signs for all the bits I might need, but there is a lot to do before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos76 View Post
I think fork cartridges are needed if pace gets below 8s from lap record. Unlike with gen4 forks, the gen5 benefits from a piston kit (I know two slow racers who say that forks are perfect for them with Andreani kit).
Can you ask them what they felt was wrong with the stock front units.

By the way, you quote the x seconds from lap record thing quite a bit, but I don't think that is that useful considering the wide variety of track configurations and riding styles that exist.

Case in point...James Ellison set the fastest ever two wheeled lap around Brands Hatch Indy circuit this year in British Superbikes, doing a 45.097s - crash.net.

Yet even rookies on stock 1000s are doing high 50s around there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.