Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Fairing paint stained from overflow hoses

Gen 4: 2011-15 
5K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Chriscm922 
#1 ·
Hey fellas,

I was wondering if you guys encountered anything like this.

Yes, I've searched and it appears that a thread was not created regarding this matter.

I ride a 2012 and only have 1698 miles on it. It gets washed and waxed more than it gets ridden since its hard to not keep your dream bike in pristine condition.

I've tried a mild rubbing compound and polish but it looks like its deep into the paint.

This isn't my first bike. Its actually bike # 20 something and I'm almost sure that my other bikes in the past had this problem.

Well, I'm not here to whine, just looking for a solution.

I know that its supposed to be ridden and dings and dents add character, but I enjoy keeping my bike at near showroom condition. I know I'm a lucky guy to own her so I let it show.

Anyone have the same issue?

Can anyone suggest possible remedies?

(Picture below!)

See less See more
#2 ·

#3 ·
And I'm assuming those dump tubes are from the overflow of gasoline from the tank....?

#7 ·
#8 ·
Had the same problem on my 2013. Kawasaki swapped the panal under warrnaty for me but claimed the stain came form too much chain lube. When I showed the dealer their show room bike with crap coming form the hose they took photos and went to kwaka HQ AU and 3 weeks later new panel seems they put a little longer hose on there as well cause the stain has not returned

#16 ·
UPDATE!

I called Kawasaki USA and spoke to a really nice fellow (I wish I got his name) and it went smoothly.

I led off with telling them I know that paint on a fairing is a hard item to get "warranty" work for but he immediately told me I was wrong. He said that if it were found to be an issue of negligence or defect, then they'll cover it.

They told me to take it to Cycle Works (my local Kawi dealer) and show them the paint.

I went there this afternoon at 1:00PM and the service dept manager (whom was also very courteous btw) came out and snapped a few photos.

He said he'd send them off to Kawasaki North America and they'd get back to me soon.

I just got a call stating they will replace the panel for me.

Kudos to Kawasaki for stepping up. Obviously a fairing stain isn't a big issue to most people but it was to me. I've ridden nothing but Kawasaki street bikes all my life. I've had around 6 ZX-6R's in my lifetime and not to mention the ZX-10R and I have no plans on going elsewhere for my 2 wheeled choices.

Customer for life.....now more than ever.

#19 ·
I made the call this morning. Since mine is a 2011 they stated it probably will not be covered at this time unless Kawasaki realizes this is a common issue and then a recall or TSB may be issued. He still wants me to take it into the dealer so they can forward pics to Kawi N. America.

He also stated that if this is in fact a common issue to advise the other members and Gen 4 10R owners to contact them and advise of the issue.

If we can get a recall or TSB on this issue then even out of warranty owners may get the cost of repairs covered by Kawi.

Number is 1-866-802-9381 ext 5.

#20 ·
The Service Manager said that the dump tubes were just positioned in the wrong place. They promised to reroute them correctly when I get the new fairing on.

That leads me to believe that not everyone's gonna have this problem.

#21 ·
Sorry to revive the old thread....but has anyone found an actual fix for this? And possibly a way to get the stain off? Mine is pretty much completely stained on that entire side. I've tried scrubbing and soaking, and doesn't really get the job done. I'd like to get it clean again and find a way to prevent it from happening again. Thanks.

#22 ·
I was wondering about this.. i bought a 2013 zx10r and i noticed it is stained down there also tried cleaning it with no go.. i bought mine used from craigslist with 550miles on her.. i was thinking the owner just spilled something there but know i see this thread and not sure if warranty would still cover this or not? ill try to take pic and post.

#23 ·
Lfairing stain

here is the pics from the stain on mine.. where are you guys rerouting the tubes to? anyone have pic of rerouted tubes?

Attachments

#24 ·
that pic is after i cleaned off the oil build up that was there.

#25 ·
noone? are only select few that this is happening to?

#27 ·
I haven't noticed it on my bike and I clean it about 3 or 4 times a week, then again, I haven't really been looking for it. I'll check next time I go out and mess with with the bike.

#30 ·
should the hoses be tucked behind the fairing not showing? or like my picture where they hang down past the fairing?

#29 ·
I didn't see anything on my fairings when I went out and looked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.