Esd possible solution? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 Old 10-21-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Esd possible solution?

As everyone knows the esd on gen4 and 5 is as standard completely useless.
The usual fix is a race damper ecu at a high price that i personally cannot afford.
I thought id investigate ways to improve it.
Firstly i removed the damper and to my suprise it actually does damp a little when off the bike but.
Next i wired it up and powered the bike up and the damper motor does a complete cycle prior to startup.
If you pull the damper whilst it is doing this cycle the damper goes very stiff then back to normal.
Now this to me proves the damper is very capable but its just wound off too much as standard.
So my idea is to power up the damper to wind the motor up so its slightly stiffer then remove the power and leave it unplugged in the stiffer position.
Obviously this will throw up an error code but if it works well i could buy another sensor to plug in and leave tucked away under the tank.
Whats your thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 10-21-2016, 05:34 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm hoping that someday, somebody will be able to flash the OEM control unit with the race program that comes in the aftermarket Ohlins SCU.

I also saw a used Ohlins SCU for sale here once. Maybe another will come up when somebody's track bike gets parted out.
ukzx10r likes this.
post #3 of 98 Old 10-21-2016, 07:14 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukzx10r View Post
As everyone knows the esd on gen4 and 5 is as standard completely useless.
The usual fix is a race damper ecu at a high price that i personally cannot afford.
I thought id investigate ways to improve it.
Firstly i removed the damper and to my suprise it actually does damp a little when off the bike but.
Next i wired it up and powered the bike up and the damper motor does a complete cycle prior to startup.
If you pull the damper whilst it is doing this cycle the damper goes very stiff then back to normal.
Now this to me proves the damper is very capable but its just wound off too much as standard.
So my idea is to power up the damper to wind the motor up so its slightly stiffer then remove the power and leave it unplugged in the stiffer position.
Obviously this will throw up an error code but if it works well i could buy another sensor to plug in and leave tucked away under the tank.
Whats your thoughts on this?
As a owner of the aftermarket Ohlins SCU with my 2013 gen4 and i must say it makes it 100% better. I would say save your pennies and get it. I know it is a little pricey but it is worth it IMO!

PM Mike @RidersDiscount or visit there website https://www.ridersdiscount.com he matched me the lowest price online for my SCU and they are a site sponsor so why not support them!

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~-1 +2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~

post #4 of 98 Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I need to start riding harder,ive never had any issues with the stock one. I thought I saw a revalved one in forsale section.you will still get the light though.if not you can probably get a stock steering dampener from a 2011or 2012 real cheap and get it revalved.just an idea .
SkyDork likes this.
post #5 of 98 Old 10-21-2016, 08:04 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
This is dangerous. The software is calibrated to offer damping preemptively based on a lot of factors. Without knowing the actual damping rates, the ECU won't know what is happening since it's open-loop with no feedback. The ECU could very easily command a rate that would lock (or close to it) if you start screwing with this. I highly recommend you don't fuck with it.
RBZ10R and vroomshankar like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #6 of 98 Old 10-22-2016, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
This is dangerous. The software is calibrated to offer damping preemptively based on a lot of factors. Without knowing the actual damping rates, the ECU won't know what is happening since it's open-loop with no feedback. The ECU could very easily command a rate that would lock (or close to it) if you start screwing with this. I highly recommend you don't fuck with it.
I meant adjust the damper up and disconnect it from the ecu so it is set at that position all the time just like a manual damper works. I know its a dangerous area to play with hence i would set it up off the bike first.
Ive just brought a house and litterally cannot afford a penny to be spent on my bike for some time to come.
Plus the mrs will kill me lol.
But ive always been bugged by the esd. Its frustrating having a good damper on your bike thats effectively turned off.
post #7 of 98 Old 10-22-2016, 10:14 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukzx10r View Post
I meant adjust the damper up and disconnect it from the ecu so it is set at that position all the time just like a manual damper works. I know its a dangerous area to play with hence i would set it up off the bike first.
Ive just brought a house and litterally cannot afford a penny to be spent on my bike for some time to come.
Plus the mrs will kill me lol.
But ive always been bugged by the esd. Its frustrating having a good damper on your bike thats effectively turned off.
This is not to start an argument. I'm not sure what you mean by "effectively turned off". Have you ever had an issue where you thought the damper was not doing its job? I'm no expert on dampeners but I did recently have an experience where the front end came off the ground at high speed unexpectedly and must not have come down perfectly straight because it wiggled but it seemed to instantly straighten itself out. Isn't that the dampener doing its job? Or should it never wiggle at all? I did buy the online race scu. Only because I could afford it and it was recommended but I haven't installed it and I'm considering selling it because Im not certain that it's necessary for off track riding.
post #8 of 98 Old 10-22-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kllongbrake View Post
This is not to start an argument. I'm not sure what you mean by "effectively turned off". Have you ever had an issue where you thought the damper was not doing its job? I'm no expert on dampeners but I did recently have an experience where the front end came off the ground at high speed unexpectedly and must not have come down perfectly straight because it wiggled but it seemed to instantly straighten itself out. Isn't that the dampener doing its job? Or should it never wiggle at all? I did buy the online race scu. Only because I could afford it and it was recommended but I haven't installed it and I'm considering selling it because Im not certain that it's necessary for off track riding.
My bike shakes its head all of the time when flat out. Its so bad that i took it back to kawasaki to have it tested.
They said there was no fault codes so should be working.
Its nearly thrown me off the track a few times and ive had to lift off countless times to get the front down and steer the bike back in line.
Im going to attempt what i said above to try set damping rate higher because its a real issue on my bike.
post #9 of 98 Old 10-22-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

If anyone gets the time then check out the video below highlighting my issues.
4.00 mins in i got a nasty shake and 6.00 all the way down the back straight its just terribly unstable which feels like there is no damper at all on the bike.
https://youtu.be/BSnxmtmOtiE

Last edited by ukzx10r; 10-22-2016 at 12:56 PM.
post #10 of 98 Old 10-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Gen 5 Now!!

Posting Frequency

definitely not worth it
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post

GEN 5!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in