Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Engine Tapping what could it be?

Gen 2: 2006-07 
4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  landrokkit 
#1 ·
Alright everyone knows about the Kawi Tick right. I have a Tapping sound coming from the engine. Sounds like it's coming directly from the exhaust ports. I have removed the head and checked for any play in the pistons (for possible slipped bearing) no play in all 4 pistons still tapping. I have replaced the cam chain tensioner still tapping. I did a valve clearance check all are well within spec (I checked the manual for the proper clearance) still tapping. I thought maybe it could be the valves so I replaced piston 2 and 3's exhaust valves and its still tapping haha. Any thoughts ?

What I have done to it:
1) Replaced cam chain
2) Replaced cam chain tensioner
3) Checked for rod knock
4) Checked valve clearance
5) Replaced piston 2 and 3 exhaust valves

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

#4 ·
So what we could have is you being over sensititive or was this something discussed at purchase. What mods on the bike is stock headers any O2 bungs or sensors. Is the factory heat shield fitted, did you inspect all the retainers and buckets for cracks or unusual wear, are thecams straight did you check there run out, are any of the cam caps damaged and did you inspect those journals. Any chance you could record the noise and post it up mate?

#5 ·
What do you mean I'm being over sensitive ?

Journals are good no scoring at all buckets are good when I took the cams off. I have 2 sets of cams both are stock tried both of them and the tapping remains. The exhaust is 2 two brothers exhaust. I know it has a power commander on it.

I do have a video of it running but it wont let me post mp3 format videos here. You know of another place I can post it so you can see it?

#10 ·
I just watched that mate, yupp that's definitely a loud ticking, & its not normal. I cant help but think you have missed something when you had the head off. If it was generator issue it wouldn't be running so rough when blipping throttle. Sound can resonate from the clutch pack etc, but no you have a internal problem there. Unless somebody else can suggest something then i would be stripping the entire engine again believing i had missed something. I asked about O2 bungs and things sometimes they can be slightly lose making escaping gas sound like a tick, but that's not it.

#11 ·
Yeah I agree, something is hitting something but can't imagine what else it could be. If it were a rod knock (or rod tap) then the rod bearings would have looked abnormal when I had that apart. I'm sure it has to be the valve tapping the head or the valve hitting the top of the piston (which would normally bend it or shatter it). I will keep you updated I am going to break it apart again this week to see if I can see anything that I may have missed.

#17 ·
In the video, the sound seems to go away when it is revved. Does it make the same sound when riding it?
Had a similar experience with a friends gen 3 zx10r, ended up removing the clutch and pressure plates which eliminated the sound. He replaced the clutch fixing the issue.
I do suggest checking if the sound goes away when driving it, this places a load on the clutch. Pressing the plates against the basket eliminating any sound produced by worn clutch discs.

Using a Car Engine Block Stethoscope works well to find the source of a particular noise, I can highly recommend one.

#19 ·
try tightening the cam chain...it could be slapping pretty bad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.