Gen 1: 2004-2005 Engine noise only while deceleration - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-06-2018, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Engine noise only while deceleration

Hey Everyone 🙂 I have an 04 zx10r and makes this really loud rattle/tapping noise only while decelerating? I’ve searched everywhere and can’t seem to find a problem like mine so that’s why I’m posting this up here. I cant hear anything on start up or while accelerating, it’s just when you hit around 3500rpm’s on deceleration it sounds real bad coming from the engine. For example; I’m cruising down the road at that rpm and I pull the clutch in while still holding the throttle open at those rev’s and it don’t go away still so I’m thinking it’s not the clutch (maybe) lol. Bikes had a recent service and new chain and sprockets too. It’s starting to get me down and I only just bought this bike 2 weeks ago but I love it so much. Would really appreciate some help on my situation from the ppl that know the zx10r the best. Thank you in advance 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-06-2018, 08:09 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Welcome to the party!

It would help if you could isolate the area where the sound is originating from on the motor. Right side? Left side? Front? Back? What was done to it in the recent service? What else is done to the bike?

Without that sort of information, it's an involved process to pinpoint the issue. Could be the timing chain, the valves, the cams, the stator, the pistons/connecting rods, clutch basket, engine mounts, etc. Most deceleration noises are from the relaxed top run of the drive chain flopping onto the swingarm, but since those are new parts I would hope not. It's at least worth checking what slack is on the chain quick.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 26 Old 04-06-2018, 08:36 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Cam chain tensioner failing?

post #4 of 26 Old 04-06-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hey cheers buddy and for getting back to me 🙂 yeah the sound is defo comming from the lower right side (as your sitting on the bike) around the engine. It had just a normal service (oil, filter,plugs) the guy I bought it off said the mechanic he took it too didn’t seem to concerned about the noise even thou it’s loud as all hell. The bike hasn’t got any big mods to the engine as such too, all it’s really got is better acceleration sprockets (can’t remember what they are now) a speedo healer, Yoshi exhaust and a steering dampener. I have tightened the drive chain up as I thought that could be the culprit cuz it was a bit loose but to no luck. I thought it could be a loose cam chain also so I have ordered a Manuel cam chain tensioner but I feel you’d hear that tick on start up and while accelerating and deceleration. I took it to one of my mechanics and he said it was coming from around the clutch area so now I’m real stumped. I heard the clutch baskets fail on these bikes, would you only hear that on deceleration and just cruising at a certain rev but not under load (power)? Thanks again for getting back to me!
post #5 of 26 Old 04-06-2018, 04:05 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Possible timing chain tensioner issue. Right side on engine above the clutch cover.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-06-2018, 04:47 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10newboy View Post
Hey cheers buddy and for getting back to me 🙂 yeah the sound is defo comming from the lower right side (as your sitting on the bike) around the engine. It had just a normal service (oil, filter,plugs) the guy I bought it off said the mechanic he took it too didnít seem to concerned about the noise even thou itís loud as all hell. The bike hasnít got any big mods to the engine as such too, all itís really got is better acceleration sprockets (canít remember what they are now) a speedo healer, Yoshi exhaust and a steering dampener. I have tightened the drive chain up as I thought that could be the culprit cuz it was a bit loose but to no luck. I thought it could be a loose cam chain also so I have ordered a Manuel cam chain tensioner but I feel youíd hear that tick on start up and while accelerating and deceleration. I took it to one of my mechanics and he said it was coming from around the clutch area so now Iím real stumped. I heard the clutch baskets fail on these bikes, would you only hear that on deceleration and just cruising at a certain rev but not under load (power)? Thanks again for getting back to me!
Yeah, the issue sounds like the cam chain tensioner a bit. If you've got the manual tensioner on order, then give that a shot. The cam chain can slap around a bit at certain RPMs and drowned out the other inherent noises. So that could be related to what's happening. The other thing to check is the clutch release arm. You should pop the clutch cover off and inspect the basket, release arm, and the inside of the case itself. In some instances, the basket can actually hit the inside of the case and release arm causing the noise like that. Open it up and check for markings on the items that would indicate something like that.

PS - It's a DAMPER, not a dampener. A damper dampens the movement. A dampener is a wet washcloth.
michael4012 likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 26 Old 04-08-2018, 02:36 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Is it a buzzing noise like gear chatter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 26 Old 04-08-2018, 03:26 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Is it a buzzing sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 26 Old 04-08-2018, 03:44 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Is it a buzzing sound like gear chatter?
post #10 of 26 Old 04-09-2018, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yeah it is a bit like a buzzing sound, real hard to explain! Only hear it when cruising (barely on the throttle) and gets bad when decelerating. Really thinking it’s the clutch basket now after everything I’ve read and a few mechanics I’ve been too say it’s comming from around the clutch area too. I am waiting for the Manuel cam chain tensioner to chuck that in and see how it goes but I’m highly doubtful that will fix the problem. Is it safe to still ride with a dodgy clutch basket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.