Easy shock removal? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-07-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Easy shock removal?

Does anyone know if you can swap the shock through the big hole in the swingarm?
I can get the top bolt ok.
I want to be able to swap to a softer setup for the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-07-2018, 09:27 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Do you have oem shock in the bike? If so, don't change it. Shock is set up for suspension not comfort although I ride a lot and never have comfort problem.

You're always busy, but in an interesting way, not the typical vendor hooked way.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-07-2018, 11:27 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukzx10r View Post
Does anyone know if you can swap the shock through the big hole in the swingarm?
You can use a jack between the rear tire and subframe or a basketball.. inflate and deflate..

The best is a pair of Jack stands from Pit Bull that support the bike with the pegs.

ddipaola likes this.

“Ride like you are invisible.”

Last edited by badexample; 05-07-2018 at 11:30 PM.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-07-2018, 11:29 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Do you have oem shock in the bike? If so, don't change it. Shock is set up for suspension not comfort although I ride a lot and never have comfort problem.

You're always busy, but in an interesting way, not the typical vendor hooked way.
Scout , I would never take any mechanical advice from you !ahahahah

Getting your suspension resprung to your weight with proper sag is essential to happy brappppp!
mpp12 likes this.

“Ride like you are invisible.”
post #5 of 13 Old 05-07-2018, 11:38 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Easy shock removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukzx10r View Post

Gen5? Depending on shock length if you take off the rear wheel the swingarm will drop enough to squeeze the shock out between subframe/swingarm.

And a modified top bracket helps also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
badexample and michael4012 like this.

Last edited by Newf; 05-07-2018 at 11:42 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-08-2018, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post

i have a mupo shock with a 115 spring and only 10mm seat foam.
I hit a bump yesterday and i swear im an inch shorter now lol.
Bike exits the corner superbly now but on the road im not too fussed about awsome corner exit speed. Id rather save my spine a bit.
Ive changed shock loads but never tried to wothout removing the tank.
Ive got titanium top mount with thread in it so its ok to take bolt in and out but i need to be able to get the shock out of the swing arm somehow.
Maybe i will give it a go at the weekend. Just wondered if anyone has tried it already to save me the agro trying?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-08-2018, 07:29 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I've seen homemade tools done before (like on my FZ09 for instance) for an easy shock removal. +1 to that if you want to swap shocks back and forth for an independent street/track set-up.

Also I have to agree with Scout though in a sense. If comfort is solely your goal, and you've got like 3" chicken strips, you can do whatever you want. If you plan to ride aggressively at ANY point then I would stick with OEM. The Frt and Rr suspension are designed to work together to output a certain ride frequency (in other words they work together to settle the bike when the suspension is acting). For a race bike, you want a ride frequency with VERY short wavelengths (aka a stiff suspension). Certain disruption to the ride frequency whether that be via poor compression damping, rebound, pre-load, etc. can result in a pogo effect. There's a reason suspension tuning is an actual service some dealers provide and it's not cheap because it's tedious. The last thing you want is to enter a corner hot and all the sudden the ass-end of the bike starts pogo-ing and dancing on you and then you wake up to find out you're the victim of a RNickeyMouse YouTube video lmao.

When in doubt... send it!

Last edited by ddipaola; 05-08-2018 at 07:32 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-08-2018, 07:29 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by badexample View Post
Scout , I would never take any mechanical advice from you !ahahahah

Getting your suspension resprung to your weight with proper sag is essential to happy brappppp!
nothing is more comical than you talking suspension!
post #9 of 13 Old 05-08-2018, 07:34 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddipaola View Post
I've seen homemade tools done before (like on my FZ09 for instance) for an easy shock removal. +1 to that if you want to swap shocks back and forth for an independent street/track set-up.

Also I have to agree with Scout though in a sense. If comfort is solely your goal, and you've got like 3" chicken strips, you can do whatever you want. If you plan to ride aggressively at ANY point then I would stick with OEM. The Frt and Rr suspension are designed to work together to output a certain ride frequency (in other words they work together to settle the bike when the suspension is acting). For a race bike, you want a ride frequency with VERY short wavelengths (aka a stiff suspension). Certain disruption to the ride frequency whether that be via poor compression damping, rebound, pre-load, etc. can result in a pogo effect. There's a reason suspension tuning is an actual service some dealers provide and it's not cheap because it's tedious. The last thing you want is to enter a corner hot and all the sudden the ass-end of the bike starts pogo-ing and dancing on you and then you wake up to find out you're the victim of a RNickeyMouse YouTube video lmao.
yes, but let me clarify. oem suspension is set up for flick and throttle. If soft shock, pegs will strike asphalt as MORE throttle is needed to lift the bike into engineering turning specs; so soft suspension is a no no with any super bike. The throttle, even just cracked, in the turn, keeps the oem suspension working; the REAR turns the bike, not the front; the front flick sets up the turn, not the rear; and some weight into the turn finishes the formula.
ddipaola likes this.

Last edited by scout; 05-08-2018 at 07:41 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-08-2018, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Every decent racer has a selection of springs to adjust the amount of movement for different tracks.
Im not a racer but the bumpy uk roads are nothing like the smooth uk tracks.
Its all about compramise with suspension.
I just need to try find easier way as im fed up with removing my tank and seat unit.
I will try soon and post results.
ddipaola likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in