7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 Old 05-15-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsNStuff View Post
Oh and like everyone else ... what stacks?
I will share who makes the mod once it's a proven concept. I will prop open the airbox and take a look once it's all said and done as well. Dude could be swiss cheesing the stacks for all I know and I don't want to steer people in the wrong direction till I know for myself . All he said was "I can mod your stacks for an extra $XXX.00".

So I honestly don't know much info about it at all. I don't know if it will even make power. Motomaxx put a bit of R&D in their ZX stacks, and only managed to get, what, 1HP in the end. So we'll see... To be clear though, it is a mod, tuner specific, not an assembly for purchase online.
neonmarine likes this.

When in doubt... send it!

Last edited by ddipaola; 05-15-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 05-15-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
You can't disable AIS in software, it's a mechanical process. You either have to install block off plates, and/or disconnect the hose from the left underside of the airbox, and install a little rubber cap. Did you watch Brock's video in one of my previous posts above?
I didn't get a chance to watch since I'm at work haha.. but I guess have to consider re-installing my plates then if I go with an auto tune unit or something in the future. For now the tuner said it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if that means he will cap off the airbox or disconnect the unit, etc. Idk a thing about the tuning process so I can't say for sure what the plan is. The less I bug him and let him do his thing the better.

I had plates installed in the past but from my experience the plates reduced engine braking and increased engine noise or something. I also ended up missing a little bit of backfire so they went on, and then off... and man what a pain in the ass they were to install haha they never give you any room to remove the bolts. I'm going to get a special ratchet with a twist handle next time.

Last edited by ddipaola; 05-15-2018 at 02:03 PM.
post #33 of 40 Old 05-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddipaola View Post
I didn't get a chance to watch since I'm at work haha.. but I guess have to consider re-installing my plates then if I go with an auto tune unit or something in the future. For now the tuner said it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if that means he will cap off the airbox or disconnect the unit, etc. Idk a thing about the tuning process so I can't say for sure what the plan is. The less I bug him and let him do his thing the better.

I had plates installed in the past but from my experience the plates reduced engine braking and increased engine noise or something. I also ended up missing a little bit of backfire so they went on, and then off... and man what a pain in the ass they were to install haha they never give you any room to remove the bolts. I'm going to get a special ratchet with a twist handle next time.
Don't take what I say as gospel, trust me, because I certainly don't trust myself! But yeah, watch that video all the way through. I think you'll come to the same conclusion I did. I hope so anyway, at least it will confirm I think I did the right thing.

Also, I wouldn't have him mess with your stacks. There hasn't been any stacks for GEN 5 that do anything at all, in fact you might lose a fraction of power - again, see bold above :)

Last edited by GearsNStuff; 05-15-2018 at 02:56 PM.

post #34 of 40 Old 05-22-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Alright, finally got the bike back this past weekend. Will post pics of the curves once I get the email from the tuner. This thing is fast! Just about shit my pants at how quickly and smoothly it got up to 150mph+ (on the MR-12).

185 on pump, and 193 on MR-12. Mind you this was on an outdoor dyno on a 99% humid day (yes, I checked the weather history report lol). One a dry & cooler day I would expect to make at least 9% more power (4-5HP). That seems to be a typical %-difference on humid days from what I'm reading. I am extremely satisfied over-all!
GearsNStuff and neonmarine like this.

Last edited by ddipaola; 05-23-2018 at 07:28 AM.
post #35 of 40 Old 05-23-2018, 02:15 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Alright, finally got the bike back this past weekend. Will post pics of the curves once I get the email from the tuner. This thing is fast! Just about shit my pants at how quickly and smoothly it got up to 150mph+ (on the MR-12).

185 on pump, and 193 on MR-12. Mind you this was on an outdoor dyno on a 99% humid day (yes, I checked the weather history report lol). One a dry & cooler day I would expect to make at least 10% more power (5HP). That seems to be a typical %-difference on humid days from what I'm reading. I am extremely satisfied over-all!
So you saying at 185hp pump, it's faster than the public graves tune w/ your shorty exhaust? Wish I could ride your bike, mine seems pretty crazy and I have to hold on for dear life.

Guess my question is, how is this tune so much better that makes you say "This thing is fast!", was it not fast before?
post #36 of 40 Old 05-23-2018, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
So you saying at 185hp pump, it's faster than the public graves tune w/ your shorty exhaust? Wish I could ride your bike, mine seems pretty crazy and I have to hold on for dear life.

Guess my question is, how is this tune so much better that makes you say "This thing is fast!", was it not fast before?
Yes, the public graves map runs in the 170's. That was proven both by both tuners. I will say that the low-end mapping from Graves is pretty optimized (0-5K RPM), so I may splice both the new & old map together a bit. Once the power kicks in @ 6K though that's when you feel that difference. The power is more aggressive and continues to pull all the way to redline. Once I get the maps I'll try to overlay all the curves to show the differences more in detail. A picture is worth 1000 words

post #37 of 40 Old 05-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Yes, the public graves map runs in the 170's. That was proven both by both tuners. I will say that the low-end mapping from Graves is pretty optimized (0-5K RPM), so I may splice both the new & old map together a bit. Once the power kicks in @ 6K though that's when you feel that difference. The power is more aggressive and continues to pull all the way to redline. Once I get the maps I'll try to overlay all the curves to show the differences more in detail. A picture is worth 1000 words
That's weird, because my bike pulls hard all the way to redline. How do you know what the graves map looks like, it's locked, you won't be able to splice the maps together.

If you do have access to the Graves tune, what does the ETV map look like?
post #38 of 40 Old 05-23-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
That's weird, because my bike pulls hard all the way to redline. How do you know what the graves map looks like, it's locked, you won't be able to splice the maps together.

If you do have access to the Graves tune, what does the ETV map look like?
The unrestricted (slip-on) fuel map by Graves is available on the PCV site. It's a good base that I can adjust in 5-10% increments to make it on par with the full-system map in the FT software (that yes, I can't see unfortunately).

These bikes prefer to run a little rich at the tippy-top though and the FT Graves map is probably at most tuned for a BCM. I'm running an MWR HE filter so the bike (without a tune) was running lean and stopped pulling on its last leg. The MWR filter allows for about 30% more airflow over a BMC.

Last edited by ddipaola; 05-23-2018 at 09:55 AM.
post #39 of 40 Old 05-23-2018, 10:58 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
The unrestricted (slip-on) fuel map by Graves is available on the PCV site. It's a good base that I can adjust in 5-10% increments to make it on par with the full-system map in the FT software (that yes, I can't see unfortunately).

These bikes prefer to run a little rich at the tippy-top though and the FT Graves map is probably at most tuned for a BCM. I'm running an MWR HE filter so the bike (without a tune) was running lean and stopped pulling on its last leg. The MWR filter allows for about 30% more airflow over a BMC.
Oh sh*t, lol. So you were running a PCV graves map, and not the FTECU Graves map. They must not be the same.

The map I run in FTECU is 2016 zx10 - 21175-1128(US) Graves Cat Eliminator rev072316. This is a map tuned directly by Graves using stock air filter and FTECU, and published to FTECU by Graves. It was created on a dyno, not just unrestricted. Their website used to say that this map w/dyno chart as well was something like 185 peak BHP.
post #40 of 40 Old 05-23-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Oh sh*t, lol. So you were running a PCV graves map, and not the FTECU Graves map. They must not be the same.

The map I run in FTECU is 2016 zx10 - 21175-1128(US) Graves Cat Eliminator rev072316. This is a map tuned directly by Graves using stock air filter and FTECU, and published to FTECU by Graves. It was created on a dyno, not just unrestricted. Their website used to say that this map w/dyno chart as well was something like 185 peak BHP.
Unfortunately like you said, it's not something we have access to to use as a base or anything. The fact we made 185 on such a crappy day makes a point though that there is potential to be better. You have to consider that Graves, like other big name tuners, have indoor climate controlled booths to give the most power & consistency. It only makes sense to since we're running a filter with more airflow and more air = more power (if you've got enough fuel to support it).

Maybe when the weather is ideal we can shoot for more better numbers. Alternatively I could take a 4hr hike down to Schnitz or Brocks but that would be overkill Like Brocks says though, the devil is in the detail and small things like even the oil you use can significantly affect HP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in