Duct Installation - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Duct Installation

So I conducted a search but was not able to find anything on this topic. Does anyone have an easy way to reinstall the ducts? Items 14073 b & C
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducts.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	407897  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 03:18 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't know of an easier way other than fighting with them and swearing at those damn things.

In all seriousness, maybe a little heat will soften them and make them easier to work with, other than that I twist and push those fuckers in there and somehow make it work every time lol.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 03:32 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroman View Post
So I conducted a search but was not able to find anything on this topic. Does anyone have an easy way to reinstall the ducts? Items 14073 b & C
Wiggle wiggle??? hair dryer to soften up???

Install in frame first line up the bottom creases first and the sides and top fall into place when you wiggle it. Use your hand into the duct to push and grab the edge with thumb to pull. Push pull wiggle and it will fall into place again line up bottom first and work your way in a line up the sides and top. Once they are lined up put the airbox in no bolts yet and same thing line up the bottom first in the air box and work your way up the sides and top same way and can be persuaded into place with wiggling push pull and yea I haven't been successful without cursing and swearing ever.

Last edited by ZX10; 11-29-2017 at 03:35 PM.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10 View Post
Wiggle wiggle??? hair dryer to soften up???

Install in frame first line up the bottom creases first and the sides and top fall into place when you wiggle it. Use your hand into the duct to push and grab the edge with thumb to pull. Push pull wiggle and it will fall into place again line up bottom first and work your way in a line up the sides and top. Once they are lined up put the airbox in no bolts yet and same thing line up the bottom first in the air box and work your way up the sides and top same way and can be persuaded into place with wiggling push pull and yea I haven't been successful without cursing and swearing ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLife View Post
I don't know of an easier way other than fighting with them and swearing at those damn things.

In all seriousness, maybe a little heat will soften them and make them easier to work with, other than that I twist and push those fuckers in there and somehow make it work every time lol.

Thanks guys, will try your suggestions but so far the swearing and cursing hasn't worked out; if it had, they'd be in perfectly... :)
post #5 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 03:48 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Silicon grease wiped around the edges.

Or.... Dielectric grease, petroleum jelly, etc.

I also use Dry Silicon spray on fairing tabs etc.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
practice... lots of it.

Also i cut off the bits that go into the frame, don't really know if that improved air volume, but it made things a bit louder.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 04:16 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Ballsack. Need more ballsack. And seriously, if this is tough, you might not wanna take the bike apart any further lol.

Edit - just so im slightly supportive - i use a trick for stuff like this, usually made out of rubber, like my grips for example. I keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol around for cleaning and things like this. Drip some inside the grips and they slide right on and ive never had trouble with em not sticking. It evaporates in seconds when its all over. Same with getting grips off as long as no glue is used. Cram some inside the grip and start twisting - off in seconds.
evilaugust likes this.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Last edited by Capncalyx; 11-29-2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: try to be more supportive and less douchy
post #8 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 04:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottoms-Up View Post
Silicon grease wiped around the edges.

Or.... Dielectric grease, petroleum jelly, etc.

I also use Dry Silicon spray on fairing tabs etc.
I thought about this route in the past but didn't know how well the rubber would hold up to the grease, I doubt the grease has any ill effects on the rubber but I didn't wanna take that chance.

I'm assuming you've tried the silicon/dielectric/petroleum? No issues with it like eating up the rubber or anything?
post #9 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 05:02 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I thought about this route in the past but didn't know how well the rubber would hold up to the grease, I doubt the grease has any ill effects on the rubber but I didn't wanna take that chance.

I'm assuming you've tried the silicon/dielectric/petroleum? No issues with it like eating up the rubber or anything?
Its okay, as long as you use Elbow Grease!

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert
post #10 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 05:37 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Yes, no issues.

Been using all the above for many years on rubber parts, o-rings, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.