Duct Installation - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
Ballsack. Need more ballsack. And seriously, if this is tough, you might not wanna take the bike apart any further lol.

Edit - just so im slightly supportive - i use a trick for stuff like this, usually made out of rubber, like my grips for example. I keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol around for cleaning and things like this. Drip some inside the grips and they slide right on and ive never had trouble with em not sticking. It evaporates in seconds when its all over. Same with getting grips off as long as no glue is used. Cram some inside the grip and start twisting - off in seconds.
LOL!!!

Taking the bike apart isn't the issue, it's putting it back together... She's been collecting dust for quite some time now, I almost sold it but decided to get her up and running again. Move to Texas killed my riding motivation. I'll use your slightly supportive suggestion and see how that goes at this point I don't think my ballsack can grow anymore...

If that doesn't work I'll bust out the Petroleum Jelly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottoms-Up View Post
Silicon grease wiped around the edges.

Or.... Dielectric grease, petroleum jelly, etc.

I also use Dry Silicon spray on fairing tabs etc.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 06:27 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLife View Post
I thought about this route in the past but didn't know how well the rubber would hold up to the grease, I doubt the grease has any ill effects on the rubber but I didn't wanna take that chance.

I'm assuming you've tried the silicon/dielectric/petroleum? No issues with it like eating up the rubber or anything?
The thing I don't like about that is grease sticks around and catches dust and that turns into emery plus it can be a dirty shit show next time you have to get at it and can make it easier to pop out as well which can be good or bad depending I guess.

I never needed to do the ducts this way but for other stubborn rubber parts I have had luck with boiling a pot of water and then letting it sit for a minute too cool off just a tad around 90 c degrees I guess and then dunk the rubber part in it for around half a minute or so until it softens up enough to be able to work with it, don't burn yourself, and same idea as hair dryer I guess. Even leave it out in the sun for a bit and they will be more cooperative I find.

Last edited by ZX10; 11-29-2017 at 06:30 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-29-2017, 06:55 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroman View Post
LOL!!!

Taking the bike apart isn't the issue, it's putting it back together... She's been collecting dust for quite some time now, I almost sold it but decided to get her up and running again. Move to Texas killed my riding motivation. I'll use your slightly supportive suggestion and see how that goes at this point I don't think my ballsack can grow anymore...

If that doesn't work I'll bust out the Petroleum Jelly...

Thanks!
THATS WHAT I WANNA HEAR!!! MOAR SACK SOLVES EVERYTHING!! Just fyi ive had a couple drinks at this point! But yea, we can also help with riding motivation around here!
They are always a pain and i usually have to say a couple Fuck-you's and have a couple Evan Williams shots and get pissed at it and they go right in. Gotta get intimidating with em and if that fails, sprinkle some rubbing alcohol on em and work fast befor e it evaporates. Rubbing alcohol works wonders on rubber parts that dont wanna go. Makes everthing like wet poontang! Petro jelly always slows my entry ...KY FTW??
evilaugust likes this.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

post #14 of 15 Old 11-30-2017, 12:43 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

When I did my frame swap I was worried about these and the airbox itself as I had read they were a real pain. I did not find that to be the case though. I found that it was easy to squash them/fold them in on themselves and then manipulate them to their appropriate position. Orient them correctly and push them into the frame right up to/just past the frame seal/lip and then fold them into themselves out of the way. Then get the box in the frame and them unfold them and work your way around the frame / airbox seals getting all in place and lined up. I personally think adding lubricants would actually make the job harder (and messier). Use the friction of the material to hold it where you want it. I have been successful this way multiple times.

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #15 of 15 Old 11-30-2017, 02:40 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I keep them clean and spray the outside with dry silicone spray. Slips right in. If it's cold outside i warm them up to room temp before installation.

I`m just in for the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.