Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

DIY ECU Flashing - Woolich Racing FAQ

370K views 2K replies 120 participants last post by  Southwest_Ninja 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE! New Features coming: ECU Qucikshifter,Launch Control,Pit Speed Limiter
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3564601&postcount=1029

Check out my install and review here http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3063986&postcount=615
Check out my install overview video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JXPyLAjO5

DIY ECU Flashing - Woolich Racing FAQ
http://woolichracing.com/

Original thread:
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142537

First time setup guide written by ZX10RArcher:
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2516434&postcount=154

Link to software:
http://www.woolichracing.com/tuned/

What can this flash kit currently do?

IAP Fuel Maps
TPS Fuel Maps
Ignition Maps
Secondary Throttle Plate (STP) Opening Maps
Fuel Trim Maps
Adjust RPM Limiters
Disable Top Speed Limiter
Disable Stock O2 Sensor
Retain last Traction Control Setting
Change Traction Control Settings while riding
Disable Exhaust Valve Servo
Map Share
Disable Fuel Cut
Log Box and Auto tune

What can't the WR kit currently do?

Quick shift
it is something we will have to do soon.
Log Box Bluetooth connectivity support for tablets and smart phones. Though no details are available I suspect that this will be for displaying live engine data (AFR) similar to a wideband display/gauge.

What models is it currently available for?

Kawasaki
ZX6R 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
ZX10R 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
ZX14R 2012, 2013, 2014,
ZX14 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011,
ZX6RR 2005, 2006,
Z1000SX 2011, 2012, 2013,
Z1000 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
ER6n 2006, 2007, 2008,
1400 GTR - ZG 1400 (Concours) 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Can I reflash a friends ECU after I flash mine?
This product comes with 3 Bin File Definition Keys allowing you to tune 3 ECU's as many times as you like. Additional Bin File Definition Keys can be purchased within the Woolich Racing Tuned software.

How does this differ from a PCV?
With this you are able to tweak and adjust any and all values contained in the stock ECU. Whereas Dynojet lets you only tweak and adjust Fuel and Timing control plus whatever features from the different add-on modules, this eliminates that and does so much more. You can also run different fuel maps in the three mode switches (low, med, high)

Will I still need a PCV?
No this completely replaces your PCV with the exception of the quickshifter function. My suggestion is to sell the PCV to recoup some of the costs .

Should I still do Ivan's free GEN4 Derestriction mod?
No you should uninstall/remove/throw away/set on fire (not really) any of these mods. With this you can flash you bike to EU spec to restrict the CORRECT way. Mad props to Ivan for finding and releasing the information when he did. You should not run the wire mod with a flashed ECU. The wire mod tricks the ECU Into thinking its in the nuetral gear all the time and negates the gear-based fuel and ignition maps from the reflash. The reflash does everything the wire mod does and then some. If you've done the wire mod in the interim, then put it back to stock once the ECU is reflashed. At that point, it's a detriment to the money spent on the reflash.
Reference: http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2569426&postcount=46

Do I still need a servo eliminator if I install a link pipe and remove the exhaust servo?
No. The flash gives the option to disable the servo which will make the FI light go away. Remove that servo to save some weight and throw that in the trash too.

Is this the same/better/worse than getting a professional mail in flash such as Guhl, dynotronics or ecu unleashed?
That is difficult to answer. I will say that i've purchased the WR kit and NEVER sent out my bikes ECU, so take that for what it's worth. The results are nearly the same between a mail in flash and the WR kit but the WR kit is cheaper and gives you full control over the flash. You also need to take into account the downtime for mailing your ECU out. What you do get with a professional mail in flash is a 1 time flash of a off the shelf tune for your custom setup. What you don't get with a mail in flash is an easy way to reflash in the future. Though in most cases a ECU flash is set it and forget it. The best option (which even a GUHL mail in flash does not offer) is to get professional dyno tune and ECU flash. Once you have a WR kit it is really simple to tune, most dynojet shops should be able to accomplish for you. The best answer I can give you is this is a MUCH better option than a PCV because there are SO MANY other options that this allows. Comparing the WR kit to a professional close sourced flash is totally up to personal preference. I don't expect dynojet to go out of business but I bet WR is sure on their radar. Shops such as Guhl, dynotronics or ecu unleashed will always continue to see the business because even with the addition of a new easy to use platform to tune/flash an ECU you WILL ALWAYS need a tuner to do the work for you (unless you have a dyno and the skills to do it yourself).

I originally purchased this kit to flash my stock bike to EU spec (to properly de-restrict it and remove the exhaust servo). This is something that even the MOST NOVICE user could accomplish with some basic mechanical skills. I have since purchased an akra exhaust with link pipe and now have a proper tune for it. The flash took about 5 minutes and was as simple as loading a file and pressing flash. I will tell you my stock gen4 zx10 was fast, but my bike is SCARY fast now. WR has since released a Map share feature that allows users to post and download custom tuned maps. This is comparable to how shared PCV maps work but the site and interface is much nicer. Now that the Auto tune and log box features are available, even the notice tuner can get that professional tune. You can drive your bike on the street or track to record real world engine data. PLug the log box into your computer and let auto tune build the perfect map for your bike.

What are the different install options?

Kawasaki Harness Type 3a Bike Harness for 2011-2013 Kawasaki ZX10R. Allows connection between Woolich Racing Mitsubishi USB Interface and bike harness. Once this harness is installed it allows you to flash the ECU without pulling out the ECU.
Install guide - http://www.woolichracing.com/Documents/Bike_Harness_Installation_Kawasaki_Type_3a.pdf

Kawasaki Bench Harness Type 3 This bench flashing harness allows you to flash 2011-2013 ZX10R and 2012-2013 ZX14R ECUs when they are both installed or not installed in the bike. The bench flashing harness comes with a 12v plug and needs to be used in conjunction with the Woolich Racing Mitsubishi USB Interface.
Install Guide - http://www.woolichracing.com/Documents/Bench_Harness_Installation.pdf

The on bike harness is obviously the better option for most users. It is just not practical to remove the ECU every time you want to flash something. Unless you plan to do some mail in flashing service I no longer see a need for the bench harness. Probably the only reason anyone would even have a bench harness is if they ordered before the on bike harness was released (8/2012). The Gen3 has the required connection via the diagnostic plug in the tail. See the below guide section for more information.

How do the Bin files work?

When you purchase a kit they provide access to your account for the specific model BIN file that matches your bike. It is an additional fee for get access to other models.
NOTE: Currently when you purchase a BIN file you have unlimited use to flash an unlimited number of ECUs (of that EXACT MODEL). There has been talk that Woolich did not intend this and will possibly restrict a single serial number per BIN file. So do not be surprised if your side business of flashing stock US bikes to EU spec gets shut down in the future. There is a dealer pack which you would probably be required to purchase to continue such activities.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
How much does this cost?

---------------------------------

$379.00 Kawasaki USB Interface and Harness Package

This package includes everything you need to start tuning your 2011-2014 Kawasaki ZX10R with our Mitsubishi USB Interface.
Mitsubishi USB Interface
Kawasaki Type 3a On Bike Harnesses
USB Cable
Bin File Definition in the Woolich Racing Tuned software

$395.00 - Log Box Pro (Mitsubishi)

Includes:
Log Box Pro (Mitsubishi)
USB Cable
On board 2GB micro SD card

$589.00 - Log Box Pro (Mitsubishi) + Zeitronix Zt-3 Wideband O2 Kit

Includes:
Log Box Pro (Mitsubishi)
USB Cable
Zeitronix Zt-3 Wideband O2 Controller
Zeitronix Wideband O2 Sensor
RJ11 cable to connect Zeitronix to Log Box Pro
Zeitronix Installation Kit (12v relay, mini fuse, wires and connectors etc)

$695.00 Complete Package

Log Box Pro (Mitsubishi)
+ Zeitronix Zt-3 Wideband O2 Kit
+ Bin File Definition in WRT
+ On Bike Harness

Includes:
Log Box Pro (Mitsubishi)
USB Cable
Zeitronix Zt-3 Wideband O2 Controller
Zeitronix Wideband O2 Sensor
RJ11 cable to connect Zeitronix to Log Box Pro
Zeitronix Installation Kit (12v relay, mini fuse, wires and connectors etc)
Bin File Definition in WRT software
Kawasaki Harness

Do I need both the Mitsubishi USB Interface and the Log Box Pro?

No, the log box replaces the need for the Mitsubishi USB Interface. Think of the Log Box Pro as a Mitsubishi USB Interface with a SD card slot to record data.

Which Kit should I buy?

If you currently have nothing you should purchase the "$695.00 Complete Package."
If you currently have the "$379.00 Kawasaki USB Interface and Harness Package" then you should purchase the "$589.00 - Log Box Pro + Zeitronix Zt-3 Wideband O2 Kit"
What if I already have a Zeitronix Zt-3 Wideband controller and O2 sensor? Then you can purchase just the "$395.00 - Log Box Pro."

What is the Log Box Pro and why do I need it?

First off you don't NEED it. The only thing you need is the basic package "$379.00 Kawasaki USB Interface and Harness Package".

Well what is the Log Box and why should I get it?

The Log Box Pro allows you to Flash the ECU, view real time Engine Data in the Woolich Racing Tuned (WRT) software, as well as log Engine Data to the on board micro SD card. This allows you to tune your bike using data collected in real riding conditions with factors like Ram Air and other bike dynamics automatically accounted for resulting in an optimal tuning experience. It also allows you to fine tune your bikes performance for different conditions and setups e.g. fuel, altitude, temperature and atmospheric pressure.

Basically this allows a novice tuner to have a professional tune without the need to pay a tuner or ever pay for Dyno time. NOTE: When trying to set world records, a professional tuner will likely do a better job than you. But taking into considerations the diminishing return on money spent tuning your bike, most riders will be more than satisfied with the results of the auto tune.

Do I need anything specific for my bike to support the log box?

You need to have a O2 bung on your link/mid pipe. This is where the Zeitronix Wideband O2 Sensor will be installed.
For example this is the pipe I have on my bike: http://www.akrapovic.com/#!/motorcycle/product/road/52?brandId=31&modelId=160&yearId=765

Alternatively you will need to drill a hole and have a bung weld in place. Personally I would prefer to just purchase the link pipe but that is totally up to you.

Where can I go for support?

The best place to start is on the WR support site.
http://woolichracing.com/SupportCenter.aspx

You can also look on their forums
http://www.woolichracing.com/forums/

Or you can contact them directly
http://woolichracing.com/ContactUs.aspx

Feel free to also post any questions here as many of the users will be glad to help. Please be sure to check the FAQ before asking a question that has already been answered!

Guides:
Gen3 Map switch - SelenaP
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2612106&postcount=287

First time setup guide - ZX10RArcher:
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2516434&postcount=154

Props to the many users on the forum who have been very active on the original thread and contributing information to this product
SelenaP
ZX10RArcher
realpsi

Especially props to Justin from Woolich racing because without him none of this would have been possible.
jkwool

#3 ·
So no dice for any Gen 1 owners?

#4 ·
:heyyou:

What models is it currently available for?

Kawasaki
ZX6R 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
ZX10R 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
ZX14R 2012, 2013,
ZX6RR 2005, 2006,
ZX14 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

#5 · (Edited)
Not the Gen 1 (even though your title says ALL GENS), was curious if there was anything in the works for the Gen 1. :idea:

#6 · (Edited)
Rep sent! Excellent post specv :ayyy:

I keep going back and forth on that thread, lot of info hidden in there like you said. I will make suggestions to add something if I can think of anything...

About 15 min ago I flashed mine to US spec with all the custom options :thumbsup:

I undid the wire mod yesterday so I'm currently trying to figure out what I need to do copy the EU maps so I can at least get the de-restriction and play with any other tuning when I figure out how to do some more of the advanced stuff.

#8 ·
Ask and you shall receive. I attached a spreadsheet with the maps that you would want to modify pulled straight from the stock EU bin. This would be for a stock EU de-restriction flash.
IAP, TPS, Ignition 1-6, STP 1-6.

These are all configured under the Full power map mode. I also included a screenshot of the unify settings I use. Since you are using identical settings for most of the configuration it is just easy to unify the settings so that you only need to enter it once.

Under advanced settings you would also want to:
uncheck "O2 sensor"
check "disable Exhaust Valve Servo Motor"
check "Traction Control: Retain and Switch"

Attachments

#10 ·
awesome post! thanks for putting this all together. I put together a map with realpsi's stp, timing and used his fueling for the upper end of the rpms and used the EU fueling for everything under that. hopefully ill get my kit sometime next week and I can see how it feels.

What im wondering is if I can dump a bunch of fuel into the maps at 0 throttle to eliminate the fuel cut. Or do you guys think there is something in the programing that competely cuts fuel when the throttle is closed?

#12 · (Edited)
Here you go everyone... now maybe you all will still leave me alone regarding them.

These were the values I pulled from my own personal Guhl ECU I paid to flash. This is his slipon mapping. The one in the wrecked 4th Gen track project I bought had no fueling changes and was just a derestriction flash and would serve you no benefit. I personally believe this was a bad dump and some of the numbers are corrupt, but you all wanted them, here they are.

By downloading this file, you release me from any and all future or potential complaints/lawsuits/etc from using these values as you are accepting the full risk of using these values on your or any other bike you are modifying the values contained on the ECU.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11761730/GuhlECU SlipOn Values.pdf

#13 ·
What does disabling the stock 02 sensor do?
I wish I never got the PCV, but it was the only thing out when I first bought the bike.
Also how much timing is taken out with the EU spec ecu. Just wondering if ill get any noticeable difference if the EU spec ecu takes timing out in the first 4 gears.

#20 ·
I posted up spreadsheets of the differences in timing and STP values from the US to EU spec. You should be able to search for them and find them.

As far as timing goes, it's approximately 6 degrees at WOT from 12K RPMs to redline. If you tell me the part number on your ECU I can tell you exactly if you'll benefit. I would figure South Africa would have the same ECU values as elsewhere in the world markets as the US values were neutered for sound/emissions.

#22 ·
What i dont get is, how are you guys tuning for AFR? I mean, i totally understand how you are changing the numbers all around but how do you know what to do and what to change without some kind of 02 sensor or something?

#24 ·
Just wondering if there needs to be some clarification so no kids think they can buy the Woolrich stuff and just start putting numbers in places and changing things they dont know about and then voila its magically faster lol. Im trying to figure out how to cheaply rig up a way to read AFR's. Probably some sort of data logger? Good summary though.

#31 ·
It should be pretty evident what was changed in the PDF I posted as the comparison BIN file was the stock US BIN. red = negative changes while blue = positive changes.

So if fueling or timing was pulled, you'd see a red hue and the more that is pulled, the deeper and darker the red. Contrasting with blue, if fueling or timing was added you'd see a blue hue; the deeper and darker the blue the more that was added. This also goes for the STP opening values.

Also throwing some rep my way would be nice for anyone who has viewed the values and or used them.

#32 ·
when looking at it compared to the US .bin it looks like he just threw a bunch of random ass changes in there but when you compare it to the EU.bin, you can see that the changes werent so random...

No body coerced you into posting the numbers and maybe they would be more inclined to be appreciative if you didnt act like a little kid about it...If you didnt want to be bothered about the numbers than maybe you shouldnt have posted in a public forum that you had them available... :dontknow:

#38 ·
Don't know if I missed this somewhere in the other thread, but does anyone know what values need to be changed to disable the off throttle fuel cut? I plan on flashing the EU map tonight before I ride tmrw morning...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#48 ·
I think I may re-install the wire mod. The bike is just so much smoother with it.

Do we even know if the Woolich software is capable of disabling the fuel cut right now? I personally don't have the first clue on how to make it work so I plan to run the wire mod until it can get sorted.

I am pleased with the Woolich Kit otherwise and look forward to any updates that you guys and Justin will develop :thumbsup:

#50 ·
What will I achieve by doing that? I'm new to all of this tuning stuff but am trying to learn what I can...

#53 ·
hey i have a favor to ask everyone who has an on bike harness on their gen4. Im trying to do some troubleshooting with my bike that doesnt want to connect to the ecu and I was hoping someone could check the voltages that they are getting at each pin inside the 8 pin plug with the key turned on but the bike not running. Im showing voltages at each of the pins so Im guessing that green and yellow pins are making good contact at the ecu but Im trying to rule that out as the cause of my issues. Thanks in advance for taking the time to check for me

#54 ·
Hey guys, firstly awesome thread, its great to see you guys pick up and run with this stuff. i have not had a chance to scratch myself over the last couple of weeks, so i am only catching up now.

Re: the Gen 1 ZX10R question, yes we have products in development for this model.

Re: fuel cut. We are working to enable this in the WRT software, just in the process of testing some settings on my bike, so it is in progress.

#55 ·
Re: fuel cut. We are working to enable this in the WRT software, just in the process of testing some settings on my bike, so it is in progress.
Good to hear Justin. One of the things that sold me on this kit was that you own and ride a Gen4 as well. Looking forward to the new developments. Hope you can get the fuel cut sorted soon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#57 ·
i highly doubt this a high priority feature they will be working on,there is ton of other useful functions that would take priority over this....besides all you need is a good clutch hand :lol:

i recieved the first on bike harness for the GEN 3 and it makes things so much easier then having to tear my damn bike apart everytime to flash it.Justin continues to make the software more user friendly everyday. Ive never had a company reply to every email i send so quickly and kindly help with any question you may have.My bike continues to get faster and faster everytime i take it to the track and ive never been happier with tuning my bike. as long as Justin is putting these great products out ill never buy a Dynojet product again

Reactions: jkwool
#58 ·
Great post SelenaP, thanks for sharing all the information in one post! We also have on bike harnesses available for the Gen 3 ZX10R and packages available with everything you need including the on bike harness, Mitsubishi USB Interface and bin file definitions. This is available on the products page.

#59 ·
Selena, you seem to be the expert around here on the g3, do you have any experience with disabling the KIMS traction control on these things? I've been told that Ivan's TRE is the only thing that disables that. Gonna be switching to Woolrich here soon and was wondering if anyone has dug into that at all. I'm assuming that I don't want my ECU thinking I'm in neutral all the time now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.