Gen 4: 2011-2015 Coolant Leaking Bottom Water Pump - Page 5 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 55 Old 07-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Update, fixed and dry.Hope it doesn't come back.the dealer said Kawasaki is going to follow up with me.they want to know why the first dealer didn't fix it.He said it was the worst he's seen and it was ridiculous the didn't repair it. So I'll go there for now on.We should have a good dealer bad dealer list lol.
belkins likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 Old 07-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Now I'm losing coolant again.i don't see any leaks.the overflow was empty. Just filled it .Im hoping the dealer just left a little air in the system.i doubt it though, when I got it back it was slightly above the low mark. That would be quite a bubble.bike doesn't overheat. Do you guys think it could of just been air in the system? Ive put about 600 miles on it since the seals were replaced in the water pump.The oil looks good, at least from the sight glass it does.
post #43 of 55 Old 07-30-2016, 02:26 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcrusader View Post
Now I'm losing coolant again.i don't see any leaks.the overflow was empty. Just filled it .Im hoping the dealer just left a little air in the system.i doubt it though, when I got it back it was slightly above the low mark. That would be quite a bubble.bike doesn't overheat. Do you guys think it could of just been air in the system? Ive put about 600 miles on it since the seals were replaced in the water pump.The oil looks good, at least from the sight glass it does.
Just air. Keep an eye on it. Add a little if needed.

Sturm und Drang

post #44 of 55 Old 07-12-2017, 05:34 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to FastAsHellZX10
In the beginning of the season I noticed the water pump had some coolant residue on the bottom. just like the pictures posten in here. I dried it off with a paper towel and continued riding. After a ride or two I didn't notice anything. But I put maybe 1500 miles on the bike so far this season and I took off the faring today to change the oil and it had drop of coolant hanging from the bottom of the pump. It appears that it came out of the drain hole in the bottom of the pump. Is it normal to have any seepage from that under normal use or is that supposed to be totally bone dry all the time until it needs to be replaced? its by no means leaking leaking. just a drop or so every few hundred miles is my guess. If I need to fix it what are all the parts and such I need to replace. And I don't have a service manual so I would also need that to follow the manufacturers guidelines. the hosted service manual on here doesn't work. I am going to go about flushing the coolant today because the overflow tank is full of white casting powder from when they made the block.

2015 30th anniversary ZX10R
Mods:Dark Tinted Windscreen, CarbonFiber TankPad, Akrapovic Full System, K&N Filter, Woolish Custom tune, 188.13 RWHP 81.46 TQ
post #45 of 55 Old 07-12-2017, 01:25 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Needs new water pump. Those drops are coming out of the weep hole.

That's whats it for, to let you know the mechanical seal is starting to fail.

Should not leak at all.

Like everyone is saying, you need new water pump.

Unfortunately the $5 part that could be replaced to fix it
is not available and you have to buy the whole water pump
should be just under $200

Last edited by Bottoms-Up; 07-12-2017 at 01:27 PM.
post #46 of 55 Old 07-12-2017, 02:37 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Is it required that I replaced the oil seal? Because I ordered all the seals except the oil seal because it is not leaking any oil at all
post #47 of 55 Old 07-12-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAsHellZX10 View Post
Is it required that I replaced the oil seal? Because I ordered all the seals except the oil seal because it is not leaking any oil at all
I would replace it. It is only $20 or less. I did have to buy a bearing puller to get it out though and steal my wifes hair dryer.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~+1 -2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
post #48 of 55 Old 07-12-2017, 09:20 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by belkins View Post
I would replace it. It is only $20 or less. I did have to buy a bearing puller to get it out though and steal my wifes hair dryer.
I called Kawasaki back up and ordered the oil seal.. I hope I don't need a puller. maybe I should go pick one up in the meantime while I wait for the parts. I have no clue what size to buy? also about what size socket is required to be used as the seal driver

Mods:Dark Tinted Windscreen, CarbonFiber TankPad, Akrapovic Full System, K&N Filter, Woolish Custom tune, 188.13 RWHP 81.46 TQ
post #49 of 55 Old 07-13-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAsHellZX10 View Post
I called Kawasaki back up and ordered the oil seal.. I hope I don't need a puller. maybe I should go pick one up in the meantime while I wait for the parts. I have no clue what size to buy? also about what size socket is required to be used as the seal driver
I tried without a bearing puller and could not get it out and did not want to damage the area around the seal with a flat head screwdriver. There is blue loctite around the seal so you need to heat it up before attempting to force it out... I found a bearing puller for like 20 bucks at my local steves wholesale tools. Make sure to get the smallest bearing puller you can find cause the seal bearing is not very big.. I took the new bearing with me to make sure i got the right size bearing puller.

As far as socket size.. I don't remember what size it was but like 14mm or 15MM i believe.. should be close to that size. Your standard socket set should have it.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~+1 -2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
post #50 of 55 Old 07-14-2017, 04:10 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by belkins View Post
I tried without a bearing puller and could not get it out and did not want to damage the area around the seal with a flat head screwdriver. There is blue loctite around the seal so you need to heat it up before attempting to force it out... I found a bearing puller for like 20 bucks at my local steves wholesale tools. Make sure to get the smallest bearing puller you can find cause the seal bearing is not very big.. I took the new bearing with me to make sure i got the right size bearing puller.

As far as socket size.. I don't remember what size it was but like 14mm or 15MM i believe.. should be close to that size. Your standard socket set should have it.
when installing the new seal do I put fresh oil around it to drive it in or do I do it dry?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.