Gen 4: 2011-2015 Coolant Leaking Bottom Water Pump - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 55 Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Dealer just told me mines not leaking that bad, just weeping a little. I'm waiting on Kawasaki to either approve it or deny it. I'm guessing I'll be fixing my own too. The dealer mechanic said it's OK for it to leak a little. I was going to buy tires from them too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 04-16-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcrusader View Post
Dealer just told me mines not leaking that bad, just weeping a little. I'm waiting on Kawasaki to either approve it or deny it. I'm guessing I'll be fixing my own too. The dealer mechanic said it's OK for it to leak a little. I was going to buy tires from them too.
mine was leaking pretty good and would build up on the water pump. since the repair it has been bone dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike 015.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	368377  
White Fang likes this.
post #33 of 55 Old 04-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Mine was identical .

post #34 of 55 Old 07-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
So back in April Kawasaki denied the repair of the water pump .dealer told me to ride it some more and it might go away .the coolant leak didn't get any worse but the oil leak is pretty bad now.is it possible I'm getting coolant in my oil. It doesn't look milky , just wanted some opinions.im bringing it to a different dealer on Tuesday. I haven't taken radiator cap off yet but the fluid in overflow looks green through the bottle.should I refrain from rideing it?
post #35 of 55 Old 07-10-2016, 08:47 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
So back in April Kawasaki denied the repair of the water pump .dealer told me to ride it some more and it might go away .the coolant leak didn't get any worse but the oil leak is pretty bad now.is it possible I'm getting coolant in my oil. It doesn't look milky , just wanted some opinions.im bringing it to a different dealer on Tuesday. I haven't taken radiator cap off yet but the fluid in overflow looks green through the bottle.should I refrain from rideing it?
Don't worry about this at all. It is common. The seals in these types of water pumps are mechanical but not perfect. They can and will leak slightly, the weep hole is there to allow the weepage to drain and to monitor the condition of the oil and coolant seals.

BMW is having an issue with a bunch of it GS's with this very same issue, and it's mainly because the water pump and the weep hole are in plain view on the right side of the bike, so the weeping from the pump are obvious and unsightly. I have had three water pumps on my F800GS, BMW replaced it twice under warranty.

What they ended up doing for later model years was to put a drain hose from the pump to underneath the bike so the weeping is not obvious.

Some DO leak excessively; my first repair did not leak coolant, but the oil seal was bad and it was constantly leaving streams of oil along the cylinder and top of the clutch cover. That was excessive, so they repaired it once again, and it seems to be just fine after several thousand miles.

My FZ8 also shows some slight greenish weeping from the weep hole, but very minor.

Kawasaki is taking the same position as BMW for most of these claims, monitor it but ride the bike. In time, the mechanical seal will usually wear in and stop leaking, or at least will reduce leaking to an acceptable level.

Now I will go check mine to see how it's doing, coming up on 8000 miles.

Forgot to mention you cannot get coolant in your oil or vice versa, the two fluids are separated by an air gap and the weep hole is common to this gap.

If the oil leak is excessive then you have good claim there, but wipe it off and ride it, monitor it, and if it continues then pressure KHI to fix it. It's a quick, easy fix. Coolant and oil leaking from a motorcycle are not a good thing.

Sturm und Drang

Last edited by White Fang; 07-10-2016 at 08:49 AM.
post #36 of 55 Old 07-10-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
I did stop riding mine till i fixed it. I not a fan of shit leaking out of my bike.. if they don't wanna fix it just do it yourself. after my fix it has still been bone dry.

I like doing my own work on all my vehicles just to make sure it was done right and if it ever happens again you know now how to fix it. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but if you need any help I am more than happy to answer any questions if you do want to attempt it.
CanyonCarver and White Fang like this.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~+1 -2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~

Last edited by belkins; 07-10-2016 at 10:54 AM.
post #37 of 55 Old 07-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks for the responses guys.Rode all day.i just kept cleaning off fairing,mines pissing pretty good.if they don't fix it this time I will .Used to be a mechanic.
White Fang likes this.
post #38 of 55 Old 07-14-2016, 05:21 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys.Rode all day.i just kept cleaning off fairing,mines pissing pretty good.if they don't fix it this time I will .Used to be a mechanic.
this is a common anoying issue now for Gen 4, I hope you found a solution sir

post #39 of 55 Old 07-14-2016, 07:33 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by katdewy View Post
Quote:
this is a common anoying issue now for Gen 4, I hope you found a solution sir

Yep this dealer ordered new seals before I left when I dropped off bike.They couldn't believe the other dealer wouldn't repair it as bad as it was leaking.
post #40 of 55 Old 07-14-2016, 10:58 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Checked mine, a tiny amount of residue after about 7,500 miles. Nothing to worry about, my FZ8 did the same when newer and the seal broke in, no more leakage. BMW is on the third water pump seal rebuild under warranty, now after a couple thousand miles, it is leak-free. The mechanical seal can take some time to break in perfectly so unless the thing is dribbling no worries. A drop or two every ride is normal for a few thousand miles, should get better after that. That is the nature of the type of seal used. Oil leaks are something else, should not leak oil at all. That requires a repair.

Sturm und Drang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.