Gen 4: 2011-2015 Coolant Leaking Bottom Water Pump - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 Old 04-11-2016, 12:27 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapulask View Post
Dumb question...
Why does oil leak out at all? Can the bike be leaned over the other way to avoid this?
Because the oil pump is behind the water pump. The same shaft is used to drive both. I suppose if you could find a way to lean the bike over the other way to do the job, oil shouldn't leak out. But then I'd be worried about some residual coolant getting into the oil. And that someone holding the bike the other way better be able to hold it for awhile. Unless you're talking about leaning it up against a wall or something.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 Old 04-11-2016, 01:05 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The only thing I would add (too late now) is to replace the impeller shaft when you replace the seal. If the shaft is grooved or worn out of spec it will still leak with a new seal. Loose bearings will also cause them to leak.

A 1st Gen Ten will eat the hearts of grown men.
post #23 of 55 Old 04-11-2016, 01:51 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Nice work, cool puller thingy to....might have to get me one of those

post #24 of 55 Old 04-11-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapulask View Post
Dumb question...
Why does oil leak out at all? Can the bike be leaned over the other way to avoid this?
as skydork said the oil pump/water pump is run off the same shaft its like one unit just sealed off for each.

I don't think there would be a way to prevent it from leaking oil when you take it off besides draining the oil.. even if you drain it though it still may have a little left in there when you take it off just not as much that says SURPRISE Black Gold!! But as i said it was not very much oil that came out so it ss not really that big deal just scared the crap out of me..

I was thinking it was gonna drain all the oil out out of the bike on my garage floor... i ran to get the closest drain pan and it ended up not being much oil at all. just have a drain pan ready or some oil rags to catch the oil when ya pop it off.
post #25 of 55 Old 04-11-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAnkles View Post
Nice work, cool puller thingy to....might have to get me one of those
yea it worked like a champ and the u bracket fit perfect on the outter edge of the pump so it did not damage anything. I looked for a slider hammer type but they only had huge ones that would not fit in the bearing to pull it out.
post #26 of 55 Old 04-11-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns04ZX10R View Post
The only thing I would add (too late now) is to replace the impeller shaft when you replace the seal. If the shaft is grooved or worn out of spec it will still leak with a new seal. Loose bearings will also cause them to leak.
i did check the shafts/impeller/casing as per service manual but everything else looked good luckily. I only have 3500k miles on the bike.
post #27 of 55 Old 04-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
My 2014 with 2600 miles is leaking too.Same exact thing.going to get mine warrantied though. I don't have alot of mods so why not.mine looks like like it has a oil leak too. It's leaking more fluids then a triumph.lol
post #28 of 55 Old 04-13-2016, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcrusader View Post
My 2014 with 2600 miles is leaking too.Same exact thing.going to get mine warrantied though. I don't have alot of mods so why not.mine looks like like it has a oil leak too. It's leaking more fluids then a triumph.lol
crazy that these are leaking with such low miles... mine was all stock besides a slip on exhaust when it started leaking no other mods.

This is my first kawasaki.. i've only owned suzuki's before this and put tons of miles on those things without any issues besides regular maintenance. Unless kawasaki considers this to be a regular maintenance issue. I did notice the part # changed with the seal that you have to get but i could not really tell a difference between the old and new seal.
post #29 of 55 Old 04-13-2016, 11:21 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by belkins View Post
crazy that these are leaking with such low miles... mine was all stock besides a slip on exhaust when it started leaking no other mods.

This is my first kawasaki.. i've only owned suzuki's before this and put tons of miles on those things without any issues besides regular maintenance. Unless kawasaki considers this to be a regular maintenance issue. I did notice the part # changed with the seal that you have to get but i could not really tell a difference between the old and new seal.
Shit happens. Some fail early, others don't. I would not say it's a common theme. I've got 12k+ miles on my gen 4 and had the water pump disassembled and reinstalled with the same parts. No leaks to mine. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. I don't think you'll have any more problems with it.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #30 of 55 Old 04-13-2016, 11:35 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by belkins View Post

Shit happens. Some fail early, others don't. I would not say it's a common theme. I've got 12k+ miles on my gen 4 and had the water pump disassembled and reinstalled with the same parts. No leaks to mine. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. I don't think you'll have any more problems with it.
I'm not complaining.Shit happens.gives me an excuse to go look at bikes when I drop it off.My dealers a cool place.I'm happy I seen it was leaking now.I would be bummed more if it was summer. Dealer mechanic said it's normal for them to leak a bit if the bikes been sitting for a while.Mine seems to be leaking both oil and coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.