3Likes
  • 1 Post By Carlos76
  • 2 Post By SpazOnaZX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-21-2017, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Changed oil and it looked silverish gold color

Just bought this bike. It's an 06 zx14 with 25k on it. The bike runs flawless and looks like new but I noticed in the clear site glass the oil looked kind of a dark gray colored. The dealer said it had just been serviced but not sure if I believe them. so I changed the oil and filter and the oil looked dark gray and when I moved my finger around in the pan of used oil it looked like it had a gold cast to it. to me that doesn't look normal. My old vmax the oil never turns gray, just dark like oil usually does with miles. But anyway after I changed the oil I went for a 50 mile ride and the oil still looks nice and clear tan. At first thought I thought maybe coolant but it has not lost a drop. The gray with a gold swirls in the drain pan just freaks me out. Could that be rod bearing material? The engine is quiet so far. It was so dark gray that you couldn't see the metal triangle through the site glass. Should I trade it off back to the dealer I got it from for another bike? I'm too old to be working on a bike all the time. I want to ride it and enjoy. Please let me know what you all think. thanks in advance guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-22-2017, 12:27 AM
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvvette97 View Post
Just bought this bike. It's an 06 zx14 with 25k on it. The bike runs flawless and looks like new but I noticed in the clear site glass the oil looked kind of a dark gray colored. The dealer said it had just been serviced but not sure if I believe them. so I changed the oil and filter and the oil looked dark gray and when I moved my finger around in the pan of used oil it looked like it had a gold cast to it. to me that doesn't look normal. My old vmax the oil never turns gray, just dark like oil usually does with miles. But anyway after I changed the oil I went for a 50 mile ride and the oil still looks nice and clear tan. At first thought I thought maybe coolant but it has not lost a drop. The gray with a gold swirls in the drain pan just freaks me out. Could that be rod bearing material? The engine is quiet so far. It was so dark gray that you couldn't see the metal triangle through the site glass. Should I trade it off back to the dealer I got it from for another bike? I'm too old to be working on a bike all the time. I want to ride it and enjoy. Please let me know what you all think. thanks in advance guys
Anytime I noticed gold in my oil it was not the good kind. That gold is more than likely tiny little flakes of a bearing ready to go and you are right, it is not normal. Also, there is no way that bike was serviced if the oil was gray in color. I would have called that right there at the dealership before even riding away on it. Actually, I would not have even bought it because seeing oil like that in a sight glass means someone did not maintain that bike at all. See what some other guys say on here too though. I'm not an expert and only speaking from personal experience. Good luck to you.

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
post #3 of 8 Old 03-22-2017, 03:01 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I expect the dealer isn't lying, it probably was just serviced but the dealer is refusing to accept that you have coolant getting into your oil which is causing poor lubrication that's causing the build up of material in the oil, in short that engine is fucked & I would be taking legal advice that dealer has shafted you.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-22-2017, 06:57 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Drain new oil and look for metal again.
I would take off oil pan to look for deposits and disassemble and clean clutch.

Developed paranoia to dealer mechanics, every second time something absolutely silly goes wrong.
To name few: Official Mercedes dealer destroyed valves at cam chain change.
Official Yamaha dealer changed my new Busa oil (warranty requirement at first change). Luckily "guru" said: "Now you got awesome 20-W60 oil"...wtf... called Suzuki dealer (other town) who specially instructed me to go there (warranty issue) and asked clever question: "I'm thinking to fill 20-W60, do I still have warranty in that case?" Man says: "No it voids warranty. Did you already do it?". I answered: "You did it".
MrMoto73 likes this.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-22-2017, 07:46 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

i've serviced a lot of street and race engines in which the drained oil showed a color slightley goldish/light gray, especially viewed in direct sunlight. produces swirls moved around as u say. not one has had a bearing failure. however, as carlos indicated, i look for gold colored bearing material in the bottom of that oil drain pan. copper is much heavier than oil and will quickley settle to the bottom of the drain pan. drained slowley, any bearing flakes/particles will remain in drain pan and are readily evident in light. if present in any amount, pull the oil pan and oil pump pickup for closer inspection as already stated. what ur describing causes me no concern as copper will not stay suspended in oil, the presence of copper bearing material settled is a concern indicating the outside tin bearing plating has worn away. by far, the biggest cause of bearing failure/spun bearings on a zx14 is oil pump cover failure. stock it is too thin, too weak allowing it to bow out at stock oil pressures losing seal and oil pressure. billet oil pump cover about $50 tyd easily installed with 3 bolts once clutch hub removed. this is a must on zx14"s. also with clutch hub removed/oil drained u can get a good look into the bottom of the entire oil pan with a led light as there is a huge open cavity to the pan under the hub without pulling all fairings/rad/ex. no bearing material present, replace that pump cover and ur zx14 will take a beating. first timer,3 hr job.

Last edited by gazx10; 03-22-2017 at 08:11 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-22-2017, 08:06 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I apologise I hadn't read the thread starter correctly, I'm having a bad day today. I don't know of a oil that is dark gray ask the dealer what it is & check for yourself it is dark grey.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

just put a clutch in a r1 monday, had to drain /replace old synthetic oil as new clutch kelvar. oil just as described. more of dark gray than black. dont really know why, clutch worn badley on this bike, maybe impreginated clutch materials, oil addatives? as far as coolant in oil, never heard of a blown or leaking head gasket on a zx14, that head torques to 52 ft/lbs stock with strong studs. these are heavy built strong engines. they have had thier share of spun bearings because of the reason previousley stated. pump cover replacement makes them damn near bulletproof. got a couple of gen 1's at 200 rwhp and a gen 1 turbo at 293 on stk bottom ends. turbo guy wisely uses his power with restraint, 2 others dragraced rode hard. absolutely no problems,all 3 with billett covers installed. personally, i like these motors, will handle a lot of power reliabley.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-22-2017, 09:43 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

...agreeing with Gaz here..... very fine particulate in the oil is usually clutch & friction plate material. Large chunks (anything larger than dust) or 'slivers' of material are signs of destruction.

You have to keep in mind that there is a lot of surface area on those clutches, and even a very small amount of wear on all those steels/friction rings will put a lot of fine debris in the oil... it's one of the top reasons to change your oil more frequently than you would in a dry clutch motor. It gets worse if you're hard on clutch or putting a lot of power down...... you'd be shocked at how many stock bikes actually drive through the clutch a little bit at high rpm/load.
gazx10 and MrMoto73 like this.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.