Can you damage the engine? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Can you damage the engine?

Can you damage the engine using a pipe with cat removed, a k+n filter and stock fuel mapping? It burbles, pops on decel which means lean. I bought it with 26,000 kms on it, seems tip top but I was thinking maybe I should get a juice box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 07:52 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Isn't popping on deceleration normally caused by unburnt fuel igniting in the heated exhaust? That's where my blue flames come from and my flashed ECU runs rich.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #3 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

It can be from both apparently? if you are running too rich, the pop will come from the exhaust usually with some flames, too lean and it will pop in the intake. I don't have flames, just lots of popping

post #4 of 12 Old 01-18-2018, 08:48 PM
gaz
Squid

Posting Frequency

on that gen 3 u can eliminate that by blocking off or connecting pair valves eliminating oxygen being introduced into exhaust system on deacceleration. just leave pair valve wired up not to throw fi light and connect the two pair valve outlets on top of valve cover with short piece heater hose and couple of hose clamps so airtight-cost couple of bucks takes couple of hours to do yourself.
SkyDork and MichaelZxer like this.

Last edited by gaz; 01-18-2018 at 08:55 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-19-2018, 12:27 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Get the Ivans block off kit. It removes the pair valves and comes with a connector to plug in so it wont throw the FI code. This will cut down the decal pops. To answer the original question, no it will not cause harm. You aren't getting the best power/fuel economy but it wont cause any harm. Ran my ZX6R like that for 4 years before I sold it with 0 issues.

2015 ZX10R
2016 ZX14R SE
post #6 of 12 Old 01-19-2018, 01:47 AM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Let my bro Alex ride it. He can damage any engine regardless of mods...
post #7 of 12 Old 01-19-2018, 08:49 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Heed the advice from the posts above!

I will add that the "popping" being too rich will not back up into the intake. That's false. If that happens, that is considered a "backfire". That can destroy an engine quickly and is indicative of other serious mechanical issues going on. That's not something that will happen from a cat-back exhaust mod. The exhaust popping is after-firing and is fairly normal due to the emissions controls and the fresh air injection into the exhaust to burn up the unspent fuel. It is corrected partially by blockoff plates and proper tuning. Over time, this behavior can damage the exhaust if it continues. It will degrade the silencer packing. Aside from those things, it's not going to hurt much else in the motor if it isn't back flowing into the engine itself. And that would require you to open the motor and inspect the pieces (valves, pistons, rings, etc).
MichaelZxer likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #8 of 12 Old 01-19-2018, 10:53 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Heed the advice from the posts above!

I will add that the "popping" being too rich will not back up into the intake. That's false. If that happens, that is considered a "backfire". That can destroy an engine quickly and is indicative of other serious mechanical issues going on. That's not something that will happen from a cat-back exhaust mod. The exhaust popping is after-firing and is fairly normal due to the emissions controls and the fresh air injection into the exhaust to burn up the unspent fuel. It is corrected partially by blockoff plates and proper tuning. Over time, this behavior can damage the exhaust if it continues. It will degrade the silencer packing. Aside from those things, it's not going to hurt much else in the motor if it isn't back flowing into the engine itself. And that would require you to open the motor and inspect the pieces (valves, pistons, rings, etc).
Some people told me on this forum that block-off plates on a gen5 were not mandatory as everything could be regulated/deactivated through a flash... is that right ?
post #9 of 12 Old 01-19-2018, 11:57 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lun471k View Post
Some people told me on this forum that block-off plates on a gen5 were not mandatory as everything could be regulated/deactivated through a flash... is that right ?
I don't believe that. The air injection system is still present on the Gen 5. The oxygen sensor will only run the motor in closed-loop mode at part/steady throttle. Once the throttle is opened and power demanded from the motor, the system goes into open-loop and the fueling is based on the target value for throttle position, gear selection, etc and ignores the O2 sensor values. That's when the fuel injection system will primarily be needed and run.

To my knowledge, the reflash can only turn off the caution light associated with the injection valve. It can't control the operation of it. So, you block the ports to keep the fresh air out of the exhaust, and then you can remove the switching valve and reflash the caution light off all the time when it senses the valve isn't there.
lun471k and MichaelZxer like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #10 of 12 Old 01-19-2018, 12:43 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
I don't believe that. The air injection system is still present on the Gen 5. The oxygen sensor will only run the motor in closed-loop mode at part/steady throttle. Once the throttle is opened and power demanded from the motor, the system goes into open-loop and the fueling is based on the target value for throttle position, gear selection, etc and ignores the O2 sensor values. That's when the fuel injection system will primarily be needed and run.

To my knowledge, the reflash can only turn off the caution light associated with the injection valve. It can't control the operation of it. So, you block the ports to keep the fresh air out of the exhaust, and then you can remove the switching valve and reflash the caution light off all the time when it senses the valve isn't there.
At the very least you have to block or cap the inlet house from the air box. SkyDork is correct.
SkyDork, lun471k and MichaelZxer like this.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.