California and its rules.. Exhaust.. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-06-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
ualreadyknow209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Posting Frequency
 
California and its rules.. Exhaust..

So Ive gotten my 2016 wish lists and am ready to start adding on a bit. Ive been looking at changing the exhaust. I really really wanna drop the CAT an go with either a Two Brothers S1R Black Series or a Yoshimura Alpha T Works. The catalytic converter looks atrocious on this beautiful machine. But I am in California.. The law around here specializes in the most minor of traffic violations and mostly unsolved mysteries... Are most sport bike owners taking this off out here in CALIFORNIA?? Feed back please!!
ualreadyknow209 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 02-06-2018, 08:33 PM
The Pace
 
scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: watsonville, ca
Posts: 6,636
Posting Frequency
 
Upgrade can but KEEP oem exhaust just in case you get a local fix it ticket in lieu of a speeding ticket.

I would check graves for their loudest street legal device that fits our excellent 10 headers. If rated street legal, trash the oem can; if not rated street legal, for sure keep oem can.
ualreadyknow209 likes this.

Last edited by scout; 02-06-2018 at 08:41 PM.
scout is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-06-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
ualreadyknow209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Upgrade can but KEEP oem exhaust just in case you get a local fix it ticket in lieu of a speeding ticket.

I would check graves for their loudest street legal device that fits our excellent 10 headers. If rated street legal, trash the oem can; if not rated street legal, for sure keep oem can

Are u saying just do the muffler and leave the CAT on? I do plan on keeping the OEM. Do the cops even really look for that? Ive never heard a sport bike louder than these Harleys and cruisers out here.. Is it the sound theyre after or just the lack of a CAT for emissions?
ualreadyknow209 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 02-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Post Whore
 
Older Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 5,873
Posting Frequency
           
I have been a ZX-10R owner in California for 14 years....I have had noise tickets and just reinstalled the converter and get it signed off...

Now, my Gen 4.....I removed the cat and put in an Akra straight pipe and the bike ran like shit. I had a custom map and everything...it was too loud, and no low end and mid range power....I reinstalled the cat and put on the shorty Akra can....custom map and I'm at 185 RWHP....tons of low end and mid range...on the track or on the street, it is quiet enough and nobody can really beat me...you don't need to remove the cat and put on a pipe...it will be too loud, bring the cops for tickets and run like shit. Trust me I know.

I have owned Gen 1, Gen 3 and Gen 4.

Older Guy is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 PM
The Pace
 
scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: watsonville, ca
Posts: 6,636
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualreadyknow209 View Post
Are u saying just do the muffler and leave the CAT on? I do plan on keeping the OEM. Do the cops even really look for that? Ive never heard a sport bike louder than these Harleys and cruisers out here.. Is it the sound theyre after or just the lack of a CAT for emissions?
take cat off, keep oem, for above reasons; BUT check current street legal CAT research weights and compare to non street legal weights.

My current super is 2013 10r bought new 09/14. At the time I just installed the graves non street on the bike from a blown '11 10r.

Kept oem exhaust BUT haven't done any research about how the alternative engineers configured weight with street legal.

The engineers are amazing coming up with good stuff; hope this helps.
scout is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 02-06-2018, 09:13 PM
Post Whore
 
Older Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 5,873
Posting Frequency
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
take cat off, keep oem, for above reasons; BUT check current street legal CAT research weights and compare to non street legal weights.

My current super is 2013 10r bought new 09/14. At the time I just installed the graves non street on the bike from a blown '11 10r.

Kept oem exhaust BUT haven't done any research about how the alternative engineers configured weight with street legal.

The engineers are amazing coming up with good stuff; hope this helps.

What are you smoking...weights have nothing to do with anything...if you get pulled over and don't have the converter on, you will probably get a ticket...it's that simple.
Sasquatch and Schooley like this.

Older Guy is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 02-06-2018, 10:46 PM
Street Rider
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 62
Posting Frequency
 
I live in Thousand oaks, CA and I took my cat off and installed a Akra slip on. Never been hassled but I don't act like a fing fool around the police. They can cite you but if you keep the stock exhaust, it can be reinstalled and signed off because it is just a fix it ticket anyway . I hate loud ass pipes. I have the DB killer in my pipe and the low to mid power is excellent. Don't be sacred to take the cat off. The cops really don't give a shit unless they are looking to ticket you for something else. I speed everywhere too. Not stupid speed but faster than the flow of traffic. That's how you stay alive. You don't let cagers sneAK up on you from behind.
CanyonCarver likes this.
The Prophet is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 02-06-2018, 10:49 PM
Post Whore
 
Older Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 5,873
Posting Frequency
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prophet View Post
I live in Thousand oaks, CA and I took my cat off and installed a Akra slip on. Never been hassled but I don't act like a fing fool around the police. They can cite you but if you keep the stock exhaust, it can be reinstalled and signed off because it is just a fix it ticket anyway . I hate loud ass pipes. I have the DB killer in my pipe and the low to mid power is excellent. Don't be sacred to take the cat off. The cops really don't give a shit unless they are looking to ticket you for something else. I speed everywhere too. Not stupid speed but faster than the flow of traffic. That's how you stay alive. You don't let cagers sneAK up on you from behind.
Remove the DB killer and you'll be surprised in the improvement in performance. I got mine before they welded them in and mapped it without it.

Older Guy is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 02-07-2018, 04:04 PM
Street Rider
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 62
Posting Frequency
 
I have ridden it with it in and out. Out gives more top end and in gives it more low end. Low end is better for canyon shredding. Loud pipes say " Hey, check me out!".
The Prophet is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 02-14-2018, 06:09 PM
The Pace
 
scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: watsonville, ca
Posts: 6,636
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prophet View Post
I have ridden it with it in and out. Out gives more top end and in gives it more low end. Low end is better for canyon shredding. Loud pipes say " Hey, check me out!".
Keep oem headers, drop the oem can, keep it. The oem can is way way way heavy, about 17 pounds plus for the g4; graves is probably 5 pounds. No one will stop you for a loud can unless you're acting like a stupid tool reving at a stop.

But have to keep oem can just in case popo stops you FOR SPEEDING and hates writing speeding tickets for bikes so opts for the can fix it ticket; he's doing the rider a favor but still a pia.

Don't stress on this stuff. But you have to upgrade the can; NOT about look at me or whatever but about losing low weight and safety.

Trust me on that; CA cagers are great around bikes these days since gopro and, of all things, when CHP came out publicly with lane splitting policy BUT then the panties in Sac try to limit the lane sharing speed to 55 mph!

Everyone knew the moment CHP came out with that policy the Sac nerds would pull some disaster.

you're 'check me out' comment and other add on stuff forces me to point you to this book and READ IT ONE THOUSAND TIMES until it sinks in, so might me 5000 reads for you; idk

here:




or ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Twist-Of-...kAAOSwbkJZcOh7

and know the road before applying Code's riding techniques.

my guess about your location judging by how you select phrases is that you're SoCal

Last edited by scout; 02-14-2018 at 06:17 PM.
scout is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome