Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

California and its rules.. Exhaust..

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  ualreadyknow209 
#1 ·
So Ive gotten my 2016 wish lists and am ready to start adding on a bit. Ive been looking at changing the exhaust. I really really wanna drop the CAT an go with either a Two Brothers S1R Black Series or a Yoshimura Alpha T Works. The catalytic converter looks atrocious on this beautiful machine. But I am in California..:headshake: The law around here specializes in the most minor of traffic violations and mostly unsolved mysteries... Are most sport bike owners taking this off out here in CALIFORNIA?? Feed back please!! :dontknow::notworthy::notworthy:

#3 ·
Upgrade can but KEEP oem exhaust just in case you get a local fix it ticket in lieu of a speeding ticket.

I would check graves for their loudest street legal device that fits our excellent 10 headers. If rated street legal, trash the oem can; if not rated street legal, for sure keep oem can

Are u saying just do the muffler and leave the CAT on? I do plan on keeping the OEM. Do the cops even really look for that? Ive never heard a sport bike louder than these Harleys and cruisers out here.. Is it the sound theyre after or just the lack of a CAT for emissions?

#4 ·
I have been a ZX-10R owner in California for 14 years....I have had noise tickets and just reinstalled the converter and get it signed off...

Now, my Gen 4.....I removed the cat and put in an Akra straight pipe and the bike ran like shit. I had a custom map and everything...it was too loud, and no low end and mid range power....I reinstalled the cat and put on the shorty Akra can....custom map and I'm at 185 RWHP....tons of low end and mid range...on the track or on the street, it is quiet enough and nobody can really beat me...you don't need to remove the cat and put on a pipe...it will be too loud, bring the cops for tickets and run like shit. Trust me I know.

I have owned Gen 1, Gen 3 and Gen 4.

#7 ·
I live in Thousand oaks, CA and I took my cat off and installed a Akra slip on. Never been hassled but I don't act like a fing fool around the police. They can cite you but if you keep the stock exhaust, it can be reinstalled and signed off because it is just a fix it ticket anyway . I hate loud ass pipes. I have the DB killer in my pipe and the low to mid power is excellent. Don't be sacred to take the cat off. The cops really don't give a shit unless they are looking to ticket you for something else. I speed everywhere too. Not stupid speed but faster than the flow of traffic. That's how you stay alive. You don't let cagers sneAK up on you from behind.

#10 · (Edited)
Keep oem headers, drop the oem can, keep it. The oem can is way way way heavy, about 17 pounds plus for the g4; graves is probably 5 pounds. No one will stop you for a loud can unless you're acting like a stupid tool reving at a stop.

But have to keep oem can just in case popo stops you FOR SPEEDING and hates writing speeding tickets for bikes so opts for the can fix it ticket; he's doing the rider a favor but still a pia.

Don't stress on this stuff. But you have to upgrade the can; NOT about look at me or whatever but about losing low weight and safety.

Trust me on that; CA cagers are great around bikes these days since gopro and, of all things, when CHP came out publicly with lane splitting policy BUT then the panties in Sac try to limit the lane sharing speed to 55 mph!

Everyone knew the moment CHP came out with that policy the Sac nerds would pull some disaster.

you're 'check me out' comment and other add on stuff forces me to point you to this book and READ IT ONE THOUSAND TIMES until it sinks in, so might me 5000 reads for you; idk

here:

A Twist of the Wrist Vol. 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding: Keith Code, Doug Chandler: 9780965045025: Amazon.com: Books

or ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Twist-Of...563689&hash=item33e228cf77:g:t3kAAOSwbkJZcOh7

and know the road before applying Code's riding techniques.

my guess about your location judging by how you select phrases is that you're SoCal

#11 ·
I don't have any problems with my pipe or pipes in any of my bikes. I have slipped ons on some of my street bikes and a full exhaust on my track bike. I just don't like super loud slip ons for road use. They serve no real purpose except to attract attention. When you reduce back pressure, you increase top end power. On the street low to mid power is KING. I have been ridden by for many years street and dirt. Not sure why twist of the wrist was offered. All good stuff though. I am sure everyone can learn something.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the feed back! I think I'm pulling the cat off and going full pipe with the yoshimura. I will be hanging on to all OEM. My 04 GSXR doesn't have a cat or a muffler and I've never had an issue, bought it like that. Long as I don't ride like an ass I might be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.