Gen 4: 2011-2015 C3L1CA's Street/Strip Wanna Be Build Thread - Page 16 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 162 Old 07-20-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
If all goes well, yea, I'll take the turbo bike out. A really awesome guy & local racer by the name of Jay Allen wants some help with simple data acquisition on his turbo Harley... he offered to take my bike out with his stuff If I can swing it... probably in September. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little spooked about the surface.... but at least I won't have wheelie problems, hehe. There may even be a few easy records to cherry pick with my bike too, if I'm reading the rule book/record book right.

I just pulled the trigger on one of those fenders too... I'll take some measurements on the gen 2 forks and you can see how close they are to yours... may work out for you. :)
Badass! I'd love to go to Bonneville too but the surface sounds sketchy to me but would like to race there someday just to say I did it. Good luck, be sweet to set some records out there too, you'll have to make a thread or post up in your project thread!

We can have matching ugly fenders now lol
SpazOnaZX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 162 Old 07-27-2017, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Well some kind of bad/good news.

Bad news... threw a street tire on the bike yesterday and took it to a dyno and thing only made 166hp to the tire. Last year it made 155 on the same dyno but had a drag hookup with only like 15psi. Back in 2014 it made 175 tho on the same dyno but that was in April so temps/humidity was a lot better. Not going to get too hung up on power but was kind of a let down.Log from the dyno was pretty damn rich, like .2-.4 richer than what it seemed on the street. Think it was as rich as 12.2 during some of the pull.

Good news...after the dyno I raced my buddy another gen 4 with all the same mods I have less the head work and I got him by about 3 bikes from a 2nd gear roll through 5th gear. So even though my numbers were low I was glad I could pull him. He's been whooping up a bunch of high hp cars around here so I know his bike is quick and he can ride good too. Going to try getting the tune a bit more dialed in and still want to try and make it back to the track on the 12th. Figure trap speed and track times are what matters, not dyno numbers.

I did get a Zero Gravity Corsa screen from Mike at riders discount for a good deal and was thinking it'd help a bit in the standing mile.

Here is a side by side of the 2. You guys think the corsa will help at all with some more top speed stuff?

Like the way the dark smoke double bubble looks but seems like the air will flow over me a bit better with the corsa.
post #153 of 162 Old 07-27-2017, 10:36 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Funny thing about dyno's.... they usually have a hard time simulating the extra load you get from speed in the higher gears. I've noticed in my datalogs that my AFR will change slightly depending on the load... generally leaning out as the speed goes up. Something else to think about is that your NA bike does ram air compensation based on wheel speed... so if you had it dialed in on the road (using logs/wideband), your 'dyno tune' would be off at higher wheel speeds. Dyno's a great for numbers, the proof is in the performance/trap speed... don't let the dyno fool you!

The clear screen looks nice. I know I have a hard time seeing through those dark smoke screens... especially with a tinted visor on. They look cooler, for sure, but you should get better function out of the clear double bubble. The good news is it will be really easy to test them back-to-back at a speed event if you want to be sure. :)

Got that fender in last night too... It's a tricky fit on my forks, but I think I have a bracket that will work. The center-to-center distance on the gen 2 forks mounting holes is 3.95"-ish... what does it look like on the gen 4 forks?

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 07-27-2017 at 10:48 AM.

post #154 of 162 Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Funny thing about dyno's.... they usually have a hard time simulating the extra load you get from speed in the higher gears. I've noticed in my datalogs that my AFR will change slightly depending on the load... generally leaning out as the speed goes up. Something else to think about is that your NA bike does ram air compensation based on wheel speed... so if you had it dialed in on the road (using logs/wideband), your 'dyno tune' would be off at higher wheel speeds. Dyno's a great for numbers, the proof is in the performance/trap speed... don't let the dyno fool you!

The clear screen looks nice. I know I have a hard time seeing through those dark smoke screens... especially with a tinted visor on.
They look cooler, for sure, but you should get better function out of the clear double bubble. The good news is it will be really easy to test them back-to-back at a speed event if you want to be sure. :)

Got that fender in last night too... It's a tricky fit on my forks, but I think I have a bracket that will work. The center-to-center distance on the gen 2 forks mounting holes is 3.95"-ish... what does it look like on the gen 4 forks?
Agree with this, just got a MRA screen with a light smoke seemed to make all the difference while wearing a tinted visor. I fi had to bet I would say it will help, looking forward to feed back after you have the chances to run it!

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #155 of 162 Old 07-28-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:

The clear screen looks nice. I know I have a hard time seeing through those dark smoke screens... especially with a tinted visor on. They look cooler, for sure, but you should get better function out of the clear double bubble. The good news is it will be really easy to test them back-to-back at a speed event if you want to be sure. :)

Yea I was a little bummed that day for a bit with the low numbers but no point to get worked up about it. Great tool like you said but out on the road/track is where it actually matters.

Yep super easy to test on the windscreen, curious to see how it feels next week when I ride it to see if I notice any difference.

Yea I haven't even tried fitting the fender but looking it seems like it might be a little tricky after looking at it a bit last night. I didn't take the fender off and my digital caliper battery is dead but rough guess was about 4" between the center of the 2 fender bolts. Which is pretty damn close to your 3.95" looking back at your post today.

Kind of curious if my dme fender lowering brackets would work or if it would get it too close to the tire. I'll try messing with it after the 12th out at the strip.

Looking to maybe get some shorty levers too, looking at the bike the stock ones stick out a good bit and starting to figure every little bit helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhastme View Post
Agree with this, just got a MRA screen with a light smoke seemed to make all the difference while wearing a tinted visor. I fi had to bet I would say it will help, looking forward to feed back after you have the chances to run it!
I'll make sure to post up how it does!
post #156 of 162 Old 07-28-2017, 02:53 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

That fender is tricky... the top hole mounts are at least 3/4" further out than the bottom holes, and the center-to-center is closer to 4.25-4.5 on the fender (I forgot exactly... I'll have to measure it again tonight). I'm a little disappointed with the quality of the fiberglass; it's really thin in spots, the mounting tabs are not flat, and it's really brittle. Maybe I'm just spoiled with my sharkskinz, but this stuff is about 70% what those are. Hell, it already cracked twice around the mounting holes just snugging bolts down (again, because they are not flat).

But I'll have to raise the front up, for sure... it is a tall fender. Might be why you don't see a lot of drag racers using it.... but for roll-on or top speed events I don't think you'll need the bike so low in the front... I'd bet 20$ that the benefits from the fender far outweigh an inch of ride height in the front. I could modify the upper fairing instead of raising the bike.... but F'that... I just had the thing painted. On the bright side, though, is I can already see how it will be absolutely outstanding for airflow, especially on the gen 2 front end.

Capncalyx likes this.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 07-28-2017 at 03:03 PM.
post #157 of 162 Old 07-28-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
That fender is tricky... the top hole mounts are at least 3/4" further out than the bottom holes, and the center-to-center is closer to 4.25-4.5 on the fender (I forgot exactly... I'll have to measure it again tonight). I'm a little disappointed with the quality of the fiberglass; it's really thin in spots, the mounting tabs are not flat, and it's really brittle. Maybe I'm just spoiled with my sharkskinz, but this stuff is about 70% what those are. Hell, it already cracked twice around the mounting holes just snugging bolts down (again, because they are not flat).

But I'll have to raise the front up, for sure... it is a tall fender. Might be why you don't see a lot of drag racers using it.... but for roll-on or top speed events I don't think you'll need the bike so low in the front... I'd bet 20$ that the benefits from the fender far outweigh an inch of ride height in the front. I could modify the upper fairing instead of raising the bike.... but F'that... I just had the thing painted. On the bright side, though, is I can already see how it will be absolutely outstanding for airflow, especially on the gen 2 front end.

I'm surprised that actually doesn't look that bad on there! Yea I know thats why I'm not throwing mine on until I start getting ready for the top speed stuff as I know I'll have to raise the front end a ton with a real sized tire and that big fender, and I wheelie as it is due to a shitty left hand

Sucks about the quality tho, I took mine out of the box and it has sat since I'd guess early spring. Maybe test ride it before you paint the fender, I know my buddy who put one on his busa had issues with it hitting his fairings or something. He was bummed as it spent a good chunk of time getting the paint perfect then scuffed it up the first test ride lol. You'll have to post or pm me some pictures of the brackets you made so I can try and copy them
post #158 of 162 Old 07-28-2017, 03:58 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Yup, that was exactly my plan... if it will ever stop raining down here!

I'm going to tweak the brackets a little bit more to try and squeeze the fender a bit.... if you bring the top holes closer together (squeeze) it bows the top out a little bit and it helps clear the tire on the back part... it's rather flat back there... or I may trim the back a bit if I have to. I mad my brackets waaaay too over-complicated, but they would be easy to replicate in a low budget way. I'll snap some photos tonight and post them up for you... it sounds like you have the same bolt hole distance, and the brackets are height adjustable.

post #159 of 162 Old 07-29-2017, 03:08 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Bracket-ness. You could make a flat piece and use spacers on the top instead of making in once piece like that.... but the slots do give it a little adjust ability. The "L" portion is up on the top mount, and the step on the back side is about .045"... my lower fender mounts on the fork are slightly more inboard than the top. the raised ridges aren't necessary, it was just easy to do and added a bit of strength. Overall the bracket is about .250" thick & .625" wide, not counting the L part (which is roughly .750 tall)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket 1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	602.3 KB
ID:	403090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket 2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	842.4 KB
ID:	403098  
C3L1CA likes this.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 07-29-2017 at 03:12 AM.
post #160 of 162 Old 07-31-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

^Thank you for the info and pictures!!

Hopeful I can get out in the garage tonight and swap back on the hookup and maybe make a few pulls to check the log. Then think I have something going on most of the week this week and going out of town again next weekend. Going to have to find some time either this week or next week to try and get a few more pulls to dial in the tune and then time to swap over the body work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.