Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Brass in oil

Gen 4: 2011-15 
2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  scout 
#1 ·
This is a track bike, the engine is standard. Only kit ecu and exhaust.
I have a lot of metal fragments in my oil, looks like "gold". The fragments are found when I drain the oil. We also found som fragments in the oilpump, but not in the oil filter. We have already split the engine and all bearings are fine.
My only idea is that it could come from the friction plates in the clutch.
Does anyone have other ideas? I am a bit worried about this, but I have every opportunities to fix, the engine is already in atoms.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
first reaction: clutch. My source: my '11 g4 with 50k miles; bike ran super strong then failed 170 mph in 4th. I ride same loop everyday. When I finally figured out that the bike simply could not get me home, I stopped. Right side where I guess the clutch is located was red and smoking hot. That foam was burning.

Dealer in Fremont diagnosed the problem as a failed bearing.

I still have that bike.

#7 ·
well, if all the bearings check out, and all the transmission parts are good, it's probably clutch material. I usually see similar particulate in my oil changes, and I have yet to toss a bearing. :)

If you want something better than a guess, though, send a sample off to be analyzed. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.