Brand New Bike - Crashed!!! - Page 8 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 34Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 83 Old 08-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Champion Rider
 
Porschenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Posts: 482
Posting Frequency
Images: 2
 
If I was in your shoes, I'd take the insurance money and buy a 2011 ZX10r since it's nearly the exact same bike as the one that was wrecked. You'll save soooo much money and probably find a bike that already has an exhaust, is flashed etc. etc.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
Porschenut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 83 Old 08-22-2017, 03:59 PM
WSB Rider
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: uk
Posts: 672
Posting Frequency
 
Sorry to hear this. I had simular problem on way to a trackday where my rucksack came undone.
My shoe fell out at 90mph.
I had no idea it was working loose. Couldnt feel anything at all.
Think you were just very unlucky
cmbnyc likes this.
ukzx10r is offline  
post #73 of 83 Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 PM
Track Day Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 198
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbnyc View Post
Hey 10Arghh. So sorry to hear about your bike getting stolen. That sucks as much as totaling it, minus the injuries, of course. I hope you had full coverage on it with theft. Are you planning on replacing it or has it been located? Is bike theft pretty common in your part of the UK? Here in the NYC area it is quite common.

It's been a 25 days since my crash and I'm finally getting partial use of my left arm back. Have a ways to go with physical therapy and will have some permanent deformity in my collarbone. Insurance said the bike was a total loss. Looks like I'll get back pretty much exactly what I spent on it, which is good news. The bad news is that I can't find any other 2014/15 leftover ZX10Rs. May end up getting a leftover 2016 non-ABS ZX6R from my local dealer who has one for sale within my budget.
Thanks cmbnyc...Yeah bike theft is very common in UK especially in or near London where many high end models are stolen a day...The Police have their hands tied with no pursuit bullshit and the thieves (mostly teens to early twenties) are even riding around on the stolen bikes and posing with them on Facebook and Instagram.

Anyway, yeah the bike is gone but I had fire and theft cover so I'm waiting on what the insurance company offer (you never get back the value you paid).

As for you, I'd say, a sports bike is not the most logical vehicle for commuting and as you have a tourer, it's not really necessary...

But...we don't do this for logical reasons...Otherwise you'd get (in the UK) a nice comfy hatchback for a similar price to a litre sports.

If you don't get another 10R after owning one for such a short time and not really building memories with it, it will feel like the one that got away, and even if you have a 6R which is probably the best 600, you may still feel like 'what-if'.

Go for what you want...not what you should get...because you could have been killed in what just happened to you.

Basically, as long as you can afford it and it's not going to put a strain on finances...get the bike you want and enjoy life for now.
10Arghh is offline  
 
post #74 of 83 Old 08-22-2017, 08:57 PM
Track Day Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 198
Posting Frequency
 
Oh if you can get them in the US...I recommend Kriega rucksacks...Not cheap but have 10 year warranty and are very secure at keeping your stuff inside the bag rather than out.
https://kriega.com/riderpacks/
10Arghh is offline  
post #75 of 83 Old 08-24-2017, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 75
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
If I was in your shoes, I'd take the insurance money and buy a 2011 ZX10r since it's nearly the exact same bike as the one that was wrecked. You'll save soooo much money and probably find a bike that already has an exhaust, is flashed etc. etc.
I wish I could take the money and buy a used bike out on the open market, but the insurance company will only make the check out to an official dealer along with my name. The rep told me this is to make sure that I use the money to buy another bike. But the rep said if I go ahead and buy a bike from a private seller, forking out my own money first, and then present them with the registration receipt from the department of motor vehicles, then they can make the check out to me personally. This complicates things because I need to take a loan out on a good portion of the total cost either way and for the best interest rate on a loan the bank prefers the bike is purchased directly from a dealership. If I can find a dealership within a reasonable distance with a decent, used gen 4 ZX10R, then I may end up buying it that way. Will have to do a little looking around. My local/preferred dealership has no such bike.
cmbnyc is offline  
post #76 of 83 Old 08-24-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 75
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
Oh if you can get them in the US...I recommend Kriega rucksacks...Not cheap but have 10 year warranty and are very secure at keeping your stuff inside the bag rather than out.
https://kriega.com/riderpacks/
They look really nice. Will see if there is a distributor in the US. Thanks!
cmbnyc is offline  
post #77 of 83 Old 08-24-2017, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 75
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
Thanks cmbnyc...Yeah bike theft is very common in UK especially in or near London where many high end models are stolen a day...The Police have their hands tied with no pursuit bullshit and the thieves (mostly teens to early twenties) are even riding around on the stolen bikes and posing with them on Facebook and Instagram.

Anyway, yeah the bike is gone but I had fire and theft cover so I'm waiting on what the insurance company offer (you never get back the value you paid).

As for you, I'd say, a sports bike is not the most logical vehicle for commuting and as you have a tourer, it's not really necessary...

But...we don't do this for logical reasons...Otherwise you'd get (in the UK) a nice comfy hatchback for a similar price to a litre sports.

If you don't get another 10R after owning one for such a short time and not really building memories with it, it will feel like the one that got away, and even if you have a 6R which is probably the best 600, you may still feel like 'what-if'.

Go for what you want...not what you should get...because you could have been killed in what just happened to you.

Basically, as long as you can afford it and it's not going to put a strain on finances...get the bike you want and enjoy life for now.
Hope you can get another ZX10R that fits the bill with the money you get from insurance.

I'm sure I'd be happy with the ZX6R and in fact it may compliment the ZRX1200R perfectly since they are not only completely different bikes in terms of weight and handling, but also engine size and characteristics. The ZX6R powerband is also more usable/practical in day-to-day riding, even though it can be deadly fast like any modern supersport. I just keep finding myself drawn to the ZX10R like a moth to the flame for visceral reasons as well as the fact I love the styling and found it a little more planted and comfortable over the ZX6R for street riding. Since I still have a ways to go until my arm will be healed enough to ride again, I have plenty of time to continue the internal debate. LOL
cmbnyc is offline  
post #78 of 83 Old 08-24-2017, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 75
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukzx10r View Post
Sorry to hear this. I had simular problem on way to a trackday where my rucksack came undone.
My shoe fell out at 90mph.
I had no idea it was working loose. Couldnt feel anything at all.
Think you were just very unlucky
Very unlucky indeed, I was. But, as several good friends who ride have pointed out, it could have been much worse. If I had crashed just 30 minutes earlier when I was on a busy highway with tractor trailers all around me, I surely would have been run over. Cup half full/empty kind of way to look at it I guess.
cmbnyc is offline  
post #79 of 83 Old 08-24-2017, 08:33 AM
WSB Rider
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: North East FL
Posts: 545
Posting Frequency
 
In the US, doesn't matter if the bike/car is stolen, wrecked, etc. you as the policy holder, get the insurance pay out, the end. There are no strings about well you have to get a bike from a license dealer because we want to make sure you get another bike. That makes ZERO sense. What if you didn't want another bike. What if you needed the money for doctors bills after a wreck, etc. You should read your contracts to make sure that is indeed the case. I think if that is a country wide deal in the U.K. i'd be going to Lloyds for insurance as they will insure anything for any amount.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
obijack is offline  
post #80 of 83 Old 08-24-2017, 08:58 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL (The Dub-C)
Posts: 13,113
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
In the US, doesn't matter if the bike/car is stolen, wrecked, etc. you as the policy holder, get the insurance pay out, the end. There are no strings about well you have to get a bike from a license dealer because we want to make sure you get another bike. That makes ZERO sense. What if you didn't want another bike. What if you needed the money for doctors bills after a wreck, etc. You should read your contracts to make sure that is indeed the case. I think if that is a country wide deal in the U.K. i'd be going to Lloyds for insurance as they will insure anything for any amount.
Hmmm. Yes, and no. This seems a bit oversimplified. In the US it would depend on whether or not there's a loan (lien holder) on the bike. If the bike is stolen, after a 30 day waiting period to make sure it's not recovered, then they value the bike and cut a check to the lien holder to pay off the loan. If there is any money left over, it goes to the borrower. If the value of the bike is less than the loan value, then the borrower still owes money to satisfy the loan unless there's Gap insurance in addition to the primary insurance.

But yeah. The insurance wouldn't require a new bike to be purchased from a dealership or anything because only the loss is covered. This of course presumes that there's no "new bike replacement" clause in the policy like some cars. If so, they may be satisfying the terms of that by requiring the payout to replace the bike go to a dealer. But I don't know the terms of the policy.

Good luck with getting this all worked out and back on the road!

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome