Brand New Bike - Crashed!!! - Page 7 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 66 Old 08-12-2017, 07:00 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

@cmbnyc;

Either bike will be terrible for commuting in my opinion. But I have been enlightened by the 1000cc upright naked craze (they also makes faired versions too). Super bikes (1000) and super sports (600) are at home only on a track. They hate sitting in traffic, evidence by how fast they heat up. They are uncomfortable. They do not make any discernible power until well into their rev range, which is magnified in a super sport. They are also geared really tall. Stock gearing on the gen 5 red lines over 100mph.

For the type of riding you do, I would suggest a left over Z1000/z900 if you like Kawi. If not particular to kawi check out Suzuki GSX-S1000 (which I have), Aprilia Tuono, Ducati Monster 1200, Honda CB1000r, Yamaha FZ10. The Suzuki and Yamaha both make 160 hp. All of those bikes will be faster than a 600, more comfortable, and be more fun to ride on the street.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS

Last edited by obijack; 08-12-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

cmbnyc, I feel like we're all pretty lucky in that we are even able to discuss with with you. The fact that you are out lookign at new bikes is unreal.

These threads that turn emotional are what makes all of this worthwhile. I guarantee when I put my tank bag on, yesterday, I made triple sure my zippers were in a good spot, and the ends covered.
obijack likes this.
post #63 of 66 Old 08-13-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
@cmbnyc;

Either bike will be terrible for commuting in my opinion. But I have been enlightened by the 1000cc upright naked craze (they also makes faired versions too). Super bikes (1000) and super sports (600) are at home only on a track. They hate sitting in traffic, evidence by how fast they heat up. They are uncomfortable. They do not make any discernible power until well into their rev range, which is magnified in a super sport. They are also geared really tall. Stock gearing on the gen 5 red lines over 100mph.

For the type of riding you do, I would suggest a left over Z1000/z900 if you like Kawi. If not particular to kawi check out Suzuki GSX-S1000 (which I have), Aprilia Tuono, Ducati Monster 1200, Honda CB1000r, Yamaha FZ10. The Suzuki and Yamaha both make 160 hp. All of those bikes will be faster than a 600, more comfortable, and be more fun to ride on the street.
obijack, good point about commuting and lack of comfort on a sportbike. I have my ZRX1200R still which I plan to keep and will use as my go to bike when I expect to do longer rides or just want a break from the committed sportbike ergonomics. The ZX6R or ZX10R I hope to get would be used for commuting but we're talking about short stints in heavy traffic and minimal lane splitting. For the most part I'd be cruising along at between 70 and 80 mph. I'm kind of right in the middle now between the two models. Half of me likes the idea of the ZX6R because it seems to be lighter and more flickable and can be wound out more without hitting the triple digits immediately while the ZX10R seems more planted, a little better at absorbing the road bumps and is more suited for cruising at highway speeds (80 mph and thereabouts). My only real-life reference points for the two bikes have been a 30 minute test ride on a used 2013 ZX6R and the 2 hour ride back from the dealership on my dearly departed 2014 ZX10R.

Just curious to learn what all of you on the forum think about skipping the ABS version of either bike. The two bikes I'm looking at now don't come with ABS and would cost me an additional $1000 to get it which I really don't want to spend if possible. I've never had ABS on a bike before (except for the one that got wrecked) so I really have no experience with its benefits.

post #64 of 66 Old 08-13-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
cmbnyc, I feel like we're all pretty lucky in that we are even able to discuss with with you. The fact that you are out lookign at new bikes is unreal.

These threads that turn emotional are what makes all of this worthwhile. I guarantee when I put my tank bag on, yesterday, I made triple sure my zippers were in a good spot, and the ends covered.
rcannon, glad you are going the extra mile and checking thrice to make sure the tank bag zippers are secure. Trust me, from now on I'm going to be like a pilot doing a pre-flight check each time I get on my bike, even for a short ride to get milk. My body and wallet (medical expenses) just can't take another avoidable crash.

Just curious why you mentioned you recommend I get the ZX6R over the ZX10R, especially being that this is the ZX10R forum... LOL
post #65 of 66 Old 08-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I have never owned a zx6, but I loved the 636 motor. For street, I think I liked it because I could have some fun and not be doing 135 mph to do so. The zx10 was/is so fast, I feel like Im in the felony speeding zone anytime I am having fun. Probably for the same reason I liked my sv650, maybe?

As far as abs, I only have it on my concours 14. My 14 is an 08, so its abs has to be way outdated as compared to whats available , now. Even still, its awesome.

Ive only activated the front abs, once. I was entering a freeway on ramp. I accelerated hard..way too hard. The 137 year old lady, in her station wagon, saw me do this. She had to glance in her rear view mirror. Anyway, this scared her. Instead of entering the freeway, and letting me go by, like a normal human, she stopped at the top of the ramp.

I grabbed the front brake. The tire was screaming, and I stopped 15 feet short of her rear bumper...but the abs system was amazing.

Totally my fault. I was stupid. I pulled into my driveway, and had a talk with myself.

I thought, Heres a situation where an electronic device saved a crash. This is the same as pointing a loaded gun at someone, and not killing them just because the safety was on. This mindset will kill me, sooner or later.

I hate the idea of abs, or traction control. However, abs did cover for me the day I was an idiot, so.....
post #66 of 66 Old 08-16-2017, 07:43 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Wow I remember when you were asking questions about what bike to buy and you were so happy to have found that bike.

Sorry to hear mate..At least you are still here.

Must be a bad week for ZX10Rs as some cunts stole mine on Monday last week They then proceeded to come back two days later for a colleagues 12 plate ZX6R but were chased off.

They still managed to smash the steering lock and put a big hole in the frame so bike might be a write off anyway.

Hope you're back on your feet soon and bike repaired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.