Bike wont start after a wash!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 08-13-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Bike wont start after a wash!!

I washed my 08 zx10r today, like i do every time with a light spray of the pressure washer... went to start it, the ignition hits but the bike just drowns out. I hit the start switch while opening the throttle slightly and it started but was working very awkward and would cut out if i let go of the throttle... I rode it keeping the bike above 3000k rpm to see if it would sort it self out but was riding very awkwardly and the engine noise was not smooth at all, very awkward sounding.... Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-13-2011, 05:21 PM
DP3
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

It's possible you may have got an exposed wire wet somewhere. I had a friend with a similar problem on his Daytona 675 and he ended up letting it sit in the sun for about 4hrs. It took some time, but it worked.

post #3 of 34 Old 08-13-2011, 06:58 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP3 View Post
It's possible you may have got an exposed wire wet somewhere.
Soapy water is very conductive.
It may dry out but if the leakage current remains for a period it may lead to a permanent conductive path. Best to try and find the connector where the water has entered and wipe/blow it dry, if not 2nd best, disconnect the battery and prevent the leakage current while it dries out.

post #4 of 34 Old 08-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Starbucks Connoisseur

Posting Frequency

Step 1) Take all your plastics off

Step 2) Go to a gas station with an air hose and use it it to blow down all the wet parts and excess water

Step 3) Then go to Starbucks and make sure the bike is directly in the sun (no shade) get a Venti Mocha Latte ask for it supper hot.

By the time you get your order and it cools down a bit and you're finally able to enjoy it, you bike should have dried off by. If not please repeat step 3 as many times as needed. Although you'll start running a high bill after 2 or 3 orders.

09' Ice Blended Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino
10' Venti Mocha Latte spilled some of it, was too hot
11' Peppermint Mocha W/Extra Shot of Espresso
12' Eggnog Venti Latte
13' Bagel
14' Standard Drip (since a Venti latte went up 20 cents)

post #5 of 34 Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Once you get past this problem, never use that method to clean your bike again. Water pockets in spots where you have switches, accelerates corrosion, hard water stains. Never a good idea. Use this and it prevents all those problems plus it protects you from sun fading.

I've used it for over a decade and swear by it.

post #6 of 34 Old 08-14-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the advice... I will for sure never wash with a jet wash again!! I will let it soak up the sun for a few hours, I tried the bike just now and it still wouldnt start... Its been 12 hours since I washed it 7pm to 7am, so hopefully the afternoon sun and heat will do the trick, I just hope its nothing serious...
post #7 of 34 Old 08-14-2011, 05:10 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Any luck? Yeah, I never wash my bike, I always just wipe the plastics down with an anti-scratch towel and some quick mist detailer...although I might try the Honda cleaner next time. After the plastics I wipe down everything else and she's brand new again...
post #8 of 34 Old 08-14-2011, 06:03 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If its still not starting afteer 12 hours, its probably not just an exposed wire, that most likely would have dried out...

Your bike seems to be exhibiting all the symptoms of water in the tank...
In a nutshell, Water molecules are bigger than gas molecules and the water clogs your injectors.
I know because I experienced this a couple months ago...
To remedy, take off tank, pull out fuel pump, empty and dry tank and pump, reassemble tank, plug harness and fuel line into tank, but don't plug line into injectors, hold a cup or bowl under the fuel line, turn bike on and off a few times to cycle fuel pump and push all remaining water out, start her up, hopefully this fixes...
It did with mine...

I was also told to add some water remover to the fuel, but I didn't need it...the bike fired up, ran like shit for about 10 seconds, then roared back to life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
i could give two shits if you were taking a bubble bath in applesauce being fed grapes by lemurs with electrodes attached to your nipples in the bed of a semi truck, as long as you're not holding up traffic, go for it
post #9 of 34 Old 08-14-2011, 06:06 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

+1 on the Honda spray...
Only thing on my bike that sees water is the wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
i could give two shits if you were taking a bubble bath in applesauce being fed grapes by lemurs with electrodes attached to your nipples in the bed of a semi truck, as long as you're not holding up traffic, go for it
post #10 of 34 Old 08-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

I never wash my bike. Just use meguiars quick detailer everywhere. Microfiber towels for tank and plastics and cheap rags for wheels, swingarm, and engine cases. Soapy water always causes problems on bikes, mostly in the electrical connections. Soap screws up the connections even as it dries, leaving residue that fouls the terminals.

07-ZX10R-SOLD
, 1/5th insert, -1/+5,comp werkes decatted,PC3+multi-hub,piperX,30 dry shot,2custom maps,Ballistic EVO2,Pazzo shorties,SATO rearsets,HealTech,ZG Corsa,EBC XC Gen3 rotors,Vesrah pads, SS lines, Gen3 calipers, etc and stretched 8" so it won't flip
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.