Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Bike shutting down at low revs

Gen 5: 2016-20 
4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Alex Ciocoiu 
#1 ·
Recently changed to an Akra slipon and a Sprint filter. Since then have been facing an issue on the bike.

Basically, if i rev/blip the throttle (either stationary or on the move) to say beyond 4000 rpm and then either clutch in or slip into neutral, the bike falls below idle rpm and shuts down. This happens 3 times out of 5.

Its getting to a point of irritation specially in city traffic where it cuts out and then Im forced to start while rolling since I am surrounded by traffic.

The Kawa service center chaps blamed it on me using 97 octane fuel saying that 97 octane if kept in the tank unused for a week or beyond tends to clog up injectors. I am not too convinced on it.

My gut-feel says the filter is making the bike run lean and this is making it cut out.

Need insights into what could be wrong.

#4 ·
The manual spec sheet says a minimum of 95 RON.

Maybe even just run the bike on stands in gear and get everything turning, maybe the engine just needs to hiccup. Might sound so simple it's impossible... but hey the Number One solution to electrical issues is sometimes as simple as unplugging, and plugging it back in!
Thanks. I did run a check across all major systems visually but couldnt find anything amiss. Still scratching my head over whats wrong with it. Have seen this happening on few other bikes post a change of exhaust and filter so was wondering if its running leaner thats causing it. Ideally shouldnt happen considering the electronics should manage it from stalling.

:rolleyes:

#3 ·
Those "chaps" are crap. I've left race fuel in my tank for weeks at a time with ZERO issues at all on startup, idle, and on the road. An easy troubleshoot would be to prop up the tank, check your filter, check your spark plugs, check the fuel rail connections, just quickly finger through everything make sure no fuel lines are kinked.

Maybe even just run the bike on stands in gear and get everything turning, maybe the engine just needs to hiccup. Might sound so simple it's impossible... but hey the Number One solution to electrical issues is sometimes as simple as unplugging, and plugging it back in!

#5 ·
Check your pre-filter for your fuel pump! I had this same exact issue and checked EVERYTHING except the fuel filter. Spark plugs, injectors, compression test, resistance test on TPS, EVERYTHING. I figured the last thing to do was the fuel filter and voila! I ordered an OEM filter (pre-filter...whatever) from Kawi and it runs good as new.

It's on the bottom of the fuel pump assembly in your tank. A real PITA to drain that fuel and not get it on your tank but the pump assembly wasn't too bad.

Attachments

#6 ·
Nothing to do with the can or filter if rated for our bike. Next: what else did you do? If you lifted the tank possible fuel line kink when you closed.

97 octane? idk anything as never used it here (USA). Ask tech if 94 has a long life span and use it if a go. Listen to them first then listen to everyone else next. We all assume that you're accurately reporting all information.

#7 ·
UPDATE:

Checked every bit on the bike including the fuel filter and what not. Nothing was out of place or needed replacement.

Installed the Woolich and adjusted idling to 1100 rpm and everything is normal again. No shutting down issues whatsoever. The Kawa techs were scratching their heads in amazement since this problem has cropped up on a lot of Indian Gen 5 bikes post a shift to Slip-ons/full systems.

They all swear by the Woolich now :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.