Posting Frequency

Bike Not Starting

Please listen and let me know what you think might be the problem

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2017, 05:51 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

No fuel sounds like to me. Check the pump.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-03-2017, 06:15 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Just to know any error code

Fi light is on so check the error code if any. Check if the wire of the fuel pump are connect. If that a firs gen bike on the left side of the seat when you remove the side panel there's the connection, the fuse could be the first thing to check.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-03-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_12r2000 View Post
Fi light is on so check the error code if any. Check if the wire of the fuel pump are connect. If that a firs gen bike on the left side of the seat when you remove the side panel there's the connection, the fuse could be the first thing to check.
I'm not getting any codes. Can you check it with just the ignition switch on? I haven't checked the fuse; I'll check it tomorrow.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-03-2017, 09:17 PM
gaz
Squid

Posting Frequency

simple test will eliminate or verify fuel or ignition problem. put some gas in spray bottle, about 7-8 good shots in each ram air duct in nose fairing, hit the starter with throttle cracked, will fire off if lack of fuel problem, no start indicates lack of spark. first thing i always do on no start bikes to narrow search.
scout likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-05-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
simple test will eliminate or verify fuel or ignition problem. put some gas in spray bottle, about 7-8 good shots in each ram air duct in nose fairing, hit the starter with throttle cracked, will fire off if lack of fuel problem, no start indicates lack of spark. first thing i always do on no start bikes to narrow search.
Thanks. I'll try that this weekend. I had forgotten to mention that I just changed the plugs. I have a feeling it's the pump, I had the same issue before I changed them and I was hoping that would do the trick...

One more thing I failed to say, I was jump starting the bike with my car battery. I just read that jump starting a bike with a car could cause a spike and some bikes have a microprocessor that are sensitive to Voltage spikes. I need a new battery...
post #7 of 10 Old 12-06-2017, 04:06 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

you may have corosion in the connector . The connector is locator inside the electrical tape close to the fuel tank wire.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-06-2017, 04:26 PM
gaz
Squid

Posting Frequency

if no start after spraying intake with fuel that's the first place i would go also. the negative main ground wire connected to the battery leads directley to a common ground plastic case taped up in harness where described by oxy. have to pry it open to inspect. had couple of no starts from corossion/burnt wire located inside.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
if no start after spraying intake with fuel that's the first place i would go also. the negative main ground wire connected to the battery leads directley to a common ground plastic case taped up in harness where described by oxy. have to pry it open to inspect. had couple of no starts from corossion/burnt wire located inside.
So I sprayed the fuel and it almost started which tells me fuel is not going through. How do I test the fuel pump? Anything else I should check?
post #10 of 10 Old 12-10-2017, 11:22 AM
gaz
Squid

Posting Frequency

with the clutch lever back to the grip secured by tie wrap, whatever, u can spray int duct while holding starter button/throttle and actually fire and run the bike as long as spraying fuel. if already convinced fuel problem, spraying int eliminates need for fuel pump and injectors. i assume fuel pump priming when ign switched on? if not, probe harness connector to pump with test light for power and ground when switched on. both good u have a bad pump. tank off test injector signals necessary for them to spray. 2 wires to each inj, all 4 have a common colored wire, white/red stripe, supply positive power constantley to inj with switch on. probe each, test light grounded for positive volts. each inj has a different colored wire that supplies timed ecu ground signal to inj to fire them. probe each inj wire with test light on battery positive while cranking bike. u will see test light pulse as ground signal applied at inj. either of these not working as described u have a electrical problem preventing inj fueling. go to the common ground box/all fuses first. not inj themselves, they dont just clog or stop working suddenly with correct power. i dont test older fuel pumps, i replace them. the replacement $40-50 pumps on ebay work great on stk applications and restore power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.