Gen 5: 2016 -> Autotune Info - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 Old 06-03-2018, 11:57 AM
WSB Rider
 
Victors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 704
Posting Frequency
  
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
No reason to auto whatever on this bike. Flash is total waste, too. ivan's wire thing is interesting.
If you want to tune it.. yes

Flashing allows for multiple adjustments to various parameters which are not a waste.
There is no wire modification for the gen5. In fact the wire mod ivan sort of pioneered for the gen4 was abandoned by ivan in favor of doing full flashes since it's vastly better.

Stop spreading bad info to people like you know wtf you're talking about.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R

Last edited by Victors; 06-03-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Victors is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 Old 06-03-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider
 
ddipaola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Macomb, MI
Posts: 159
Posting Frequency
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victors View Post
Hes serious. Which makes him the worst troll of all.
I started reading his comment like "okay, everyone has an opinion on A/T", then I continued and immediately scrolled on
Seems like the A/T is kind of a hit or miss item though. Good to have but not necessary. I've also heard that if it's an "active" unit that adjusts as you ride it can sometimes blanket over fueling issues by blindly adjusting to your desired A/F. That's what I've heard, but either way I think for $2-300 I would rather start investing in either the Race SCU, or a race spec'd gen4 damper.

When in doubt... send it!
ddipaola is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 06-03-2018, 11:49 PM
Track Day Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 114
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddipaola View Post
I started reading his comment like "okay, everyone has an opinion on A/T", then I continued and immediately scrolled on
Seems like the A/T is kind of a hit or miss item though. Good to have but not necessary. I've also heard that if it's an "active" unit that adjusts as you ride it can sometimes blanket over fueling issues by blindly adjusting to your desired A/F. That's what I've heard, but either way I think for $2-300 I would rather start investing in either the Race SCU, or a race spec'd gen4 damper.
That's a good idea. The stock settings for the damper are not very aggressive. I hate it. Pretty much guaranteed to get the wobbles under hard acceleration with this bike, and there is just barely enough dampening to keep it under control.
ddipaola likes this.
GearsNStuff is offline  
 
post #14 of 19 Old 06-04-2018, 01:29 AM
Track Day Rider
 
Newf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 179
Posting Frequency
 
Not sure I would want to run an active autotune on these new bikes with traction/wheelie and engine brake control especially on track. Some of the tight tracks where your wheelie and traction are cutting in a lot the AFR reading is all over the place and impossible to autotune.

Make a map with all the electronic aids turned off with autotune is ok, but I wouldn’t be using any maps made with all the electronic aids active.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SublimeGreen, Victors and ddipaola like this.
Newf is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 06-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Track Day Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 134
Posting Frequency
 
Neuf makes some great points. I did not think of those when I tried mine, but anyway....

I did it. I already owned the autotune, and was very happy with my flash, so why not plug it in and see what I get?

It was very frustrating. I dont know if you have worked with autotune, but its not near as seamless, wonderful and easy as it sounds. Its not very easy to find the AFR you are searching for. Do you use whats suggested, from dynojet? The numbers you find online?

Im probably being silly, but we are using this auto tune to try and find "perfection". How do you do that by the sensations your ass feels?....you know what i mean...? What if, on this bike 13.8 is better than 13.5?

If you start with a terrible fuel map, it works pretty well. You do notice the suggested changes the auto-tune is making, and we you accept them, the bike runs better.

But, when your base map is good, and all the other built in, ECU issues have been dealt with, its past the point where you want to tune by how it feels.

Unless I could book some serious dyno time, I would not bother with it on a decent reflash.

Thats not to say it cannot be improved upon, but you need more subjective info than just a page of -2 and +3's. Once you get to a point where you dont really feel the changes it suggests, why bother?

I did find it entertaining, but its as-if this autotune is one part of a three part solution, and you are missing the other two parts.
rcannon is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 06-04-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider
 
ddipaola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Macomb, MI
Posts: 159
Posting Frequency
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
Not sure I would want to run an active autotune on these new bikes with traction/wheelie and engine brake control especially on track. Some of the tight tracks where your wheelie and traction are cutting in a lot the AFR reading is all over the place and impossible to autotune.

Make a map with all the electronic aids turned off with autotune is ok, but I wouldn’t be using any maps made with all the electronic aids active.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's thinking outside the box for sure. Great info!

When in doubt... send it!
ddipaola is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 06-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Track Day Rider
 
Newf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 179
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddipaola View Post
That's thinking outside the box for sure. Great info!


I run two lambda sensors, one on cylinder 1 and the other on cylinder 2. If I just took the suggested changes from my datalogger my bike would be running no where near the AFR that I actually want it to run at. Engine brake makes the low throttle values inaccurate and traction/wheelie control makes the AFR jump around everywhere else.

So I actually have to go into the lap by lap analysis and see where my AFR is at different TPS/RPM. Autotune is good if used properly which is just on a stretch of road with riders aids off or on a dyno.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rcannon likes this.
Newf is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 06-09-2018, 01:59 AM
Track Day Rider
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 114
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
I run two lambda sensors, one on cylinder 1 and the other on cylinder 2. If I just took the suggested changes from my datalogger my bike would be running no where near the AFR that I actually want it to run at. Engine brake makes the low throttle values inaccurate and traction/wheelie control makes the AFR jump around everywhere else.

So I actually have to go into the lap by lap analysis and see where my AFR is at different TPS/RPM. Autotune is good if used properly which is just on a stretch of road with riders aids off or on a dyno.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty sure OP rides street. Track is a completely different scenario. With his setup, he has access to a good tune for his exhaust, and stock air filter. However he is installing an aftermarket air filter with increased airflow. So unless he goes to an FTECU capable tuner, the active tune running live is a reasonable solution for a targeted AFR of 13, or if preferred he could go with a US or EURO unrestricted map, and run active tune in logging mode, saving the trims to the ECU. Eventually getting to what ever AFR he is looking for. Downside is he loses whatever (if anything else) was done to his locked tune.

This is what I do. I run active tune with a tune/mapping setup by the exhaust manufacture for my specific bike model/year and stock air filter. However I have the sprint p08 f1-85, which has a lot more airflow (and arguably a lot more debris getting sucked into the engine - I'll be checking soon after 1000 miles). IMO, my bike runs great. Doesn't stall, doesn't have trouble getting going, doesn't afterfire, burbles a lot at static rpm/decel, and screams get the fuck out of my way when WOT.
michael4012 likes this.
GearsNStuff is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 06-10-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider
 
ddipaola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Macomb, MI
Posts: 159
Posting Frequency
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsNStuff View Post
However I have the sprint p08 f1-85, which has a lot more airflow (and arguably a lot more debris getting sucked into the engine - I'll be checking soon after 1000 miles). IMO, my bike runs great. Doesn't stall, doesn't have trouble getting going, doesn't afterfire, burbles a lot at static rpm/decel, and screams get the fuck out of my way when WOT.
I'm loving my F1 filter. Supposedly it has as much filtration as the std P08, but it is very transparent when held up to light, so we'll see. You know as much as I do that they're not cheap! More than the P16's by a long shot so hopefully we got what we paid for. And yes I'm primarily street riding for the moment. Tracking my FZ hopefully soon though (a little cheaper than tracking the ZX and less risk).

When in doubt... send it!
ddipaola is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome