Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Austin Racing carbon fiber quality?

15K views 190 replies 35 participants last post by  EJR 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just received my new austin racing can for my zx10r. There are a whole bunch of little holes in the carbon fiber. Is this normal? Didnt really expect that at almost $800.
Heres a few pics i took quick at work. Can get better pics once im home.

See less See more
#3 ·
Air pockets in the resin mold process during forming. Shouldn't really affect it at all, but I doubt you'll get a new one that is defect free. They would have to change up the way they do their CF I'm guessing, which isn't very likely.

My suggestion would be to live with it, or pick a different exhaust all together.

#7 ·
The holes are at the top as well, just not as many. From a few feet away you cant really see them. Im just curious if they are all like this or i just got unlucky.
If the strength of the carbon fiber isnt affected ill probably just run it, just didnt expect to see this when i opened the box. I sent rich from austin racing some pics asking if this were normal. While waiting on his response i figured id ask on here since some of you probably have the same exhaust.

#15 ·
Different than pitting in the finish seen in this thread, but along the same lines I once had a discussion on a web forum with a supplier of Sebimoto carbon products. I had some carbon pieces of theirs and when you held them up to the light you could see gaps between the carbon fibers like stars in the night. They told me that it was still structurally sound and the clear resin was more than strong enough to hold it all together with no sacrifice to the integrity of the product. I said if that was true then why not just make a product out of nothing, but cured resin and have clear body panels instead. I never heard back from them...

I agree that no product is perfect. There will always be flaws in manufacturing and exhaust products are no different, but when those flaws are brought to the attention of the manufacturer they should be rectified. If a cheaper exhaust like M4 can produce quality, smooth carbon fiber canister shells without imperfections in the finish then I would damn sure expect it from an exhaust costing twice as much.

#16 ·
Hey guys, i dont want this to turn into a this brand is better than this other brand thread. I am just disappointed in what i received (looks wise) i figured for as much $$ as these run it would look amazing. If its an option im hoping they let me return this hassle free and i can quickly receive a better finished product. Not sure how it will go with them being so far away. They shipped quick, once it actually shipped. Took 3 days to get here after they shipped the exhaust. Ive thought about it for a few hours and i really hope they take care of this and i can get anothet one, assuming there not all like this. Im still waiting for rich to email me back. If hes a member on here hopefully he chimes in.

#23 ·
Ups should be picking up the can for replacement tomorrow. Here is what i was told.
"no one else will have had that pin hole affect as its an all new upgraded carbon we have just started to use, far superior to our previous carbon. We have checked stock and it would seem you have been sent a sleeve from the first batch some of which we destroyed. We do apologise for that."
Hopefully this next one is better. Im half tempted to just ask for the titanium can but i like the looks of the carbon can with ceramic end cap. Ill report back with what i receive as a replacement.

#28 ·
untill you own one, you dont know why its as expensive as it is......not any more stupid than a pannegalle pipe costing 4500 from akra or any other pipe manufacturer.....I have both their carbon can and there ti can on my pipe gp2r and both of them are industrial art.....you can buy all the slayer pipes or yosh cans you want, but you cannot compare the two products.....if you dont know, then you dont know----

#30 ·
That is normal on Carbon Fiber. Ask any auto/motorcycle painter. Carbon fiber takes a lot of prep to have a good paint job due to the holes which you are referring to. The carbon fiber is cheap compared to the real deal you see on something like a formula one car. I know the Austin Racing is a pricey piece but I would assume you will get holes in the next one too. Send it back and get the titanium can.

#35 ·
Its going back tomorrow, he didnt offer a partial refund.
One thing i noticed, there doesnt seem to be any kind of protective coating, feels like raw carbon fiber.
Im debating on asking for a titanium can, but i really like the way the carbon looks. I have a tyga carbon fiber tank top panel coming, theyd match nicely.

#37 ·
Here is another message i received. So far their customer service is excellent.
"The carbon we use really is the very best most expensive. Due to the satin high temperature finish and plain weave it can sometimes leave pin hole marks but it really is nothing to be concerned about. When you see a carbon part that has no sign of this it is due to the fact it's either been lacquered or it is not 100% carbon.*

If you were to see close ups of carbon race parts you would notice many imperfections within them.*

It is true that some sleeves can show more imperfections then others and perhaps your sleeve is 1 of these.*

If you wish you can return it to us and we will replace it for you"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.