Gen 4: 2011-2015 Anyone have some suspension geometry advice - Page 7 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 67 Old 03-09-2017, 03:33 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The "F" and the "S" marks on my adjusters are for if you are "fat" or "skinny" right?
sdiver68 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 03-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
@moto316

Those numbers are with an aftermarket shock link...right? If I'm reading these correctly they want you to raise the front 5mm and the rear 2mm?? More explanation is required...if I'm reading this right it could be a very slow and heavy turning bike. Although it should be a rocket on acceleration if your style is to square off corners like Sykes.
Yes a MSS type 3 link. Running k-tech 25 rds cartridges which my tuner said added some travel compared to the stock forks so the ride height numbers are a little skewed if you're trying to compare numbers.
sdiver68 likes this.
post #63 of 67 Old 03-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
There are many ways to skin that cat...

Many of the pro guys on the Gen4 were raising both the rear and the front and use less than traditional sag numbers as well which also keeps the front riding high requiring or reacting to heavy loading to make it handle correctly. Along with that though they are also using Gas Fork Kits which have a very small window of operation and a finely tuned spring rate through both the coil and the air spring so that it sets the front end consistently on maximum trailbraking allowing the geometry of the bike to assist the rider both into and out of the turns. These are the guys running at or near the lap record and that is how they achieve those results.

Even 2 different Pro riders at the limit with same lap times riding the same model bike still require different set-ups based on their riding styles. What works for one rider does not automatically work for another, but the further you are off the pace the further you can be off the optimal setting and still get a good handling ride.
Agreed, many ways to skin that cat. I'll let you in on rule #3 of Lessons Learned the Hard Way racing motorcycles:

3) Because you saw it done by a Pro or on a Pro bike means no more to you then trying to dunk from the free throw line because that's what Jordan did.

tdh likes this.

Thank you to my racing sponsors Riders Discount and Alpha1 Vinylworks

Last edited by sdiver68; 03-21-2017 at 06:50 PM.

post #64 of 67 Old 03-10-2017, 04:40 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto316 View Post
Yes a MSS type 3 link. Running k-tech 25 rds cartridges which my tuner said added some travel compared to the stock forks so the ride height numbers are a little skewed if you're trying to compare numbers.
How much fork tube above top clamp was there at time of measurement?

Your sheet shows 8 N/mm topout springs, from factory RDS and DDS should be 4N/mm.
Is that a typo or was it upgraded to 8N/mm (very stiff).

And would you measure length of visible chome tube with specified 8mm preload, then we can use your numbers.
Take two measurements, both sides of sticktion, one after forks were compessed and second after you extended forks by pulling up and releasing gently.

Race Gen4: K-teck DDS, OhlinsGP+link, RCS17+T-Drive, CordonaQS, Kit ECU+PC5, MivvFull, ported, milled, light crank, race in. cam, BMCrace.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013
Kawasaki KX450F 2016

Last edited by Carlos76; 03-10-2017 at 05:08 AM.
post #65 of 67 Old 03-20-2017, 06:01 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Bling.
My adjustable triples arrived finally.
Will report how steering feels with 30mm offset in 4 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	triples.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	394658  
horra and ukzx10r like this.

Race Gen4: K-teck DDS, OhlinsGP+link, RCS17+T-Drive, CordonaQS, Kit ECU+PC5, MivvFull, ported, milled, light crank, race in. cam, BMCrace.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016
post #66 of 67 Old 03-25-2017, 06:06 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I made a few tweaks to mine today.
Raised rear end 6mm.
Slipped forks through 3mm.
4 clicks less on rear shock rebound to try stop rear end from squatting under load.
Verdict is im not sure .
Its so hard to tell from road riding if its better but it seemed to wheelie less but prehaps be a little unsetteled at the front under braking.
Possibly due to the change in geomatory.
But this was only noticable on slower speed corners so once on track it may be a different story
post #67 of 67 Old 04-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos76 View Post
Will report how steering feels with 30mm offset in 4 weeks.
My first time out after winter. No other geometry or suspension changes except clamp offset from stock 26mm to aftermarket 30mm.
Change in steering was more than I expected: much less force needed to lean bike quickly, bike feels much lighter, maybe precision hitting curb exactly is less (difficult to say after winter pause) and good thing: it did not cause instability at hard braking.
I will have to try 28mm excentric too, because steering is possibly too light now and have to be real precise with hands to select racing lines. Have to do more riding to judge this investment, but my first impression says: "significant change in how bike reacts to steering input".
LDH likes this.

Kawasaki KX450F 2016

Last edited by Carlos76; 04-21-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.