2Likes
  • 1 Post By SkyDork
  • 1 Post By Porschenut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-13-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Any reason why oil level might go up?

Recently had some issues with my bike which have since been fixed but during that time I was hyper-aware of every little thing and I noticed my oil level seemed kind of high, like to the top of the sight glass window or just above. I find this weird because I am always really careful in making sure to fill it right in the middle of the sight glass. It has been about a year or just over since I last changed it because i hardly rode last season, but when I did change it it was pretty black; no creamy color at all...

I suppose I could have just somehow overfilled and not noticed it until now, but is there any other cause of this magical oil level increase other than gasket issues?

Although I'm young I am still intelligent, wise, and intellectual....at certain times I just choose not to be...

Really though, anyone who mounts up on something that has as much horsepower as a Lotus and weighs as much as the average bloke from Wisconsin must be flipping bonkers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
You do know that the oil is pumped from the oil pan, through a filter, through the crankshaft, and up to the valve head, right? There's a lot of oil in the motor that all drains back to the oil pan when shutdown. It takes time for that thick oil to drain through all those small passages and openings and you'll never get it all out. Depending on how you drain and refill the oil after a change and how you measure it, then stuff likes this happens. It's not some magical or religious ritual that conjures fluid from nothing, it's called Hydrodynamics. Or Oilology if you will.

FYI - Oil changes are based on time or mileage, or a combination of both. Letting it sit in your motor for more than a year just because it "isn't used much" is disturbing.
thundercoupe9 likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 6 Old 06-13-2018, 07:48 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrokkit View Post
Recently had some issues with my bike which have since been fixed but during that time I was hyper-aware of every little thing and I noticed my oil level seemed kind of high, like to the top of the sight glass window or just above. I find this weird because I am always really careful in making sure to fill it right in the middle of the sight glass. It has been about a year or just over since I last changed it because i hardly rode last season, but when I did change it it was pretty black; no creamy color at all...

I suppose I could have just somehow overfilled and not noticed it until now, but is there any other cause of this magical oil level increase other than gasket issues?

If you know for certain the oil level was correct then pop the fill cap and smell for fuel. I had the same problem last year and it turned out to be the injectors staying open after shutdown do to a faulty Power commander. It would flood the cylinders and eventually creep past the rings and into the pan. Hopefully you just overfilled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 Old 06-13-2018, 09:58 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

If you changed or added oil the reading will change higher after riding, for reasons Sky mentioned.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

The only time I ever saw this was on the old , carbed bikes, and had to do with fuel getting down into the crankcase.

When you drained it, you noticed a fuel smell and could visually see how thin the oil was.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-14-2018, 02:43 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Some of it could have to do with the surface you're using under your rear stand. A new spot vs. the one used previously might tilt the bike over to the right side a little more and the oil will read higher in the sight glass.
rcannon likes this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in