Another Gen 3 headed for the strip - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 110 Old 12-12-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Another Gen 3 headed for the strip

As I've recently stated, this is probably old news but it's all new to me as i've had my bike for about a month.
Figured i'd post what i've done and pics along the way.
About a month ago (mid november) i bought a virgin 2008 zx10r, with just a shade over 10k miles on it. Previous owner put a bunch of Monster stickers on it, a carbon fiber front fender and a vance and hines slip on.

My first order of business was to look in to the exhaust and start getting rid of all the garbage the factory stuffs in it.

I bought a Dan Moto mid pipe and after reading up, I pulled the header and knocked all the cats out with a small aluminum pipe, long flat tip screw driver and a screw driver I sacrificed to get all the cat material out of the side thats bent.

While that was taken apart, I pulled the ECU and sent it off to Schnitz Racing and had the ECU reflashed.
While the ECU was gone, I ordered up some new copper crush gaskets for the header and put everything back together.
The danmoto wasn't exactly a direct bolt on, but with a little help with a tail pipe expander and a torch to heat things up, I stretched the metal a bit and got the mid pipe to fit perfectly on the header.

Once I got the header back and plugged in, I couldn't wait to fire it up and see how much difference it made. Turns out it was pretty significant.

Tonight I lifted the tank and fully appreciated the $39 I spent on this little flash light. It has a magnetic base and telescopes with a LED on the side of it as well as out the top.

After I got the airbox off I found the pair valve stuff and pulled it out, capped the airbox as well as reed valve with some vacuum port plugs I picked up from autozone.

After I pulled the airbox off, I pulled what appeared to be a very dirt OEM airfilter and found this.
What in the world is that all about?

Next up will be a BMC race filter, PCV, lowered, stretched and put together an air shifter.
Before race season is here, it'll also get a shinko drag hookup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 12-12-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

BTW, there were the appropriate screws in place to hold that foam thing in place.
Also decided to get rid of the a few of the stickers. All the green M's was a little over kill.
post #3 of 110 Old 12-13-2015, 06:33 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

man that thing sounds mean!

Its green and it says Kawasaki ninja zx10r on it!

post #4 of 110 Old 12-14-2015, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Not sure how much I dig the V&H slip on, sounds a little rattly to me. I also pulled the secondary butterflies off the throttle bodies. Once I get the BMC filter, the foam thing goes in the garbage and the airbox goes back together.

Has anybody used any of the aftermarket ram air ducts? Are they worth the investment? Seems like there is alot of stuff, weird angles and obstacles as the air enters the airbox. Not a very linear path at all.
It might be kinda cool to see a true ram air that goes direct from the nose to the throttle bodies, or at least to a plenum around the throttle bodies which would still come direct instead of the "ski jump" type setup the Gen 3's have.
post #5 of 110 Old 12-14-2015, 08:31 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Any plans for an ecu flash and dyno tune? Also planning any clutch mods. I love my gen 3 it gets it done at the track for me.

Stock engine, foot shifted, 64", pos
9.24@ 148mph
post #6 of 110 Old 12-14-2015, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Ecu was just reflashed last week. After i get a pc5, I'll also be installing a DJ wide band commander I have and start doing some data logging with that. I'll be able to log some runs on the track as well as get some data from riding on the street. I'll be able to edit existing maps from there and see where I end up.

I'm not sure what afr these bikes like for making good power without running too lean, any suggestions here?

Also on the list of future mods is -1/+2 gearing. I'll probably end up going taller in the rear, figured I'd start with a +2.
post #7 of 110 Old 12-14-2015, 11:10 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah depending on your weight you'll probably want to go taller in the rear. I'm -1+4 and might go taller. They have a long first gear and respond pretty well to a taller gearing. How long are you planning on making it

Stock engine, foot shifted, 64", pos
9.24@ 148mph
post #8 of 110 Old 12-15-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm going to do adjustable extensions from ftd customs.
I ran those on my old cbr i had and they were great. I think they're adjustable from 4.5-9 inches. Of course I'm going to stretch it as long as I can with the extensions.
As for my weight, I'm 182 in gym shorts now. I intend to be at 175 by the time race season is here.

Are u crossing the finish at the top of 5th or 6th gear?
post #9 of 110 Old 12-16-2015, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Hope I did the right thing here, but, I ordered a BMC race filter today. Not sure if I should've got the street filter, but, oh well. I'm sure anything is better than the OE filter that was in it with a nice layer of dust, dirt and a moth or 2.
post #10 of 110 Old 12-16-2015, 07:00 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicbaldwin View Post
I'm going to do adjustable extensions from ftd customs.
I ran those on my old cbr i had and they were great. I think they're adjustable from 4.5-9 inches. Of course I'm going to stretch it as long as I can with the extensions.
As for my weight, I'm 182 in gym shorts now. I intend to be at 175 by the time race season is here.

Are u crossing the finish at the top of 5th or 6th gear?
I am going to be setting my 1st gen up for track this spring and was planning on using those same blocks. I had looked at full swingarm replacements but wanted these for ease of returning it back to swb. the point is I'm curious how they work for you and will be following your build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.