Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Advice Needed- Shifting Front Brake Lever (hose obstruction)

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  wheelz96 
#1 ·
Good Day,

Advice needed. I have a 2018 ZX10R ABS. This past weekend, I started adjusting the angles of my levers. The clutch lever was no issue. However, an issue arose when I rotated the front brake lever downward, as a hose (I think from the master cylinder) was knocking on something (I think the fork). The hose points to the left and if I could turn it to the right then the obstruction would be no more. I looked at the parts schematic earlier this week and see that there is a banjo bolt at the bottom of the affected area. I am assuming that if I loosen it I would be able to rotate/turn the hose to face another direction. My concern is that I loosen the bolt and brake fluid leaks out or otherwise.

As you can tell, I am not mechanically inclined, hence my hesitation and request for advice.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Your talking about your brake line if your saying banjo. Why do you have the levers lowered so much? Easiest bet is to just raise the lever back up until you have clearance. Once you crack loose the bolt for the brake line leaking fluid isn't the issue but rather sucking air into the fluid. I would suggest you bleed the brakes by someone who is mechanically inclined or watch some youtube videos it isn't hard.

Good luck and sounds like you should just raise the lever up but if you decide to loosen bolt be prepared to bleed brakes.

#5 ·
I want to lower the levers more than how I got it from the dealer as I am taller with a longer torso and the current angle puts additional pressure on my wrists. Thanks for the tips as I certainly do not want to deal with air in the brake line nor bleeding the brakes

#3 ·
The banjo bolt can be loosened a bit, but that will leak some fluid and introduce air into the system if you do that. But, the end of the brake line banjo has a pin on it that hits a stop on the MC that prevents it from rotating beyond that point. So you can take the bolt completely out and you still won't be able to move it enough for your liking.

Your best bet is to slide the MC outward a bit more and that should give you a small bit more room to angle it down. You can also flex the rubber hose part a small amount near the fork tube. The hose will still hit the fork tube, but you'll get a few more degrees of angle on it. I have mine lowered down like that so my arm forms a straight line between the shoulder and fingertips straight out on the lever when sitting normally on the bike (the way it should be :wink:). You'll just have to play around a bit more with the adjustments and I would advise against loosening that bolt if you don't know what you're doing with it.

#7 ·
Well I am going to stay away from anything that could put air in the system as I am not up to bleeding brakes and the such.

I will take a look at sliding the MC outward and flexing the rubber hose a bit per your suggestion. This is exactly the type of advice that is invaluable and I truly appreciate you sharing.

Yes, after watching hours of YouTube (especially Dave Moss vids) I realized that my levers were not in the correct orientation as my arms were not forming a straight line (as you described).

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.