Gen 4: 2011-2015 abs removal - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 Old 11-12-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to stangs10rnkc Send a message via Yahoo to stangs10rnkc
abs removal

looking at trading the 2013 in on a 2014.. but I am being told the white only comes in abs.... can it be removed and how much of a pain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Probably cheaper to get new plastics than to pay for abs if it's only cuz you want white.

1990 CR 125 - blow'd up
2005 SV1000s - sold
2012 ZX-10R - w/go fast stickers
post #3 of 104 Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yep, done it twice now on both my ZX10R's, and four other owners that race them.

Far and away the best mod you can do to the ZX10R. get rid of the ABS. ZX10R have the worst brakes of any sports bike I have ever ridden, and the extra 3 foot of hydraulic tubing doesn't help.

If you do remove the ABS and run dedicated lines form the master cylinder to the calipers you can remove all the plumbing, the front is relatively easy, you need to take off your tank and airbox and if you want to make you life easier to get to the clips in the frame also the throttle bodies.

To remove the rear is a touch harder as the blocks that convert the rubber lines to metal tubing are mounted between the frame and swing arm. There are two ways to get these out... remove the swing arm so that you can get the Allen key in, or (what I did) a blunt chisel and hammer onto the side of the block, with a few gentle taps the block will rotate taking the screw with it, once it moves you can undo it with your fingers and with a little bit of twisting it comes out.

Once you have all the tubing gone you can put your own braided lines in.

On the ABS module itself the 4 nuts that hold the tubes in place you need to be very firm on them to crack the thread. These are done up stupidly tight, if you just put a 10mm spanner on them and lean on them you will round the nuts and be screwed. Put the spanner on and give it a quick sharp pull and then you'll be good to go.

The ABS module itself will need to remain in place and plugged in. If you remove it the bike will not rev over 11,000rpm. Until someone comes up with a dummy plug for it, you're stuck with it. (not an issue with the race bike as it runs a race ECU) Though if I come up with a solution I'll post it up.

If you decide to go ahead with it I'm more than happy to guide you through.

Last edited by TurboR1; 11-12-2013 at 05:42 PM.

post #4 of 104 Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Just curious, why go from a 2013 to a 2014?
Isn't the only difference color schemes? And the 2014 schemes look the worst of all the Gen 4's years.
post #5 of 104 Old 11-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Turbo; Thanks for the great writeup on ABS removal. Did you try removing the ABS fuses to disable the unit, and see what it does? It seems strange that the engine will not rev over 11000 due to the ABS being unplugged. Thanks. Mike.
post #6 of 104 Old 11-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Ahh yes, forgot to mention pulling the fuse. You need to do that too, otherwise it will attempt it's start up diagnostic sequence.

Even with the fuse pulled, the bike will go into a 'safe mode' if you pull out the servo motor (at least it did so with the 2011 bike prior to the race ECU going in).

For the road bike I am toying with the idea of sourcing a harness from a non-ABS model. That will save a great deal of weight.

I need to bury my head into the wiring schematic of both versions of the ZX10R, make note of the differences to see if there is a secondary control module for the ABS that I can remove and be good to roll.

I should also mention that removing/disabling the ABS may affect your insurance policy, so check that too.
post #7 of 104 Old 11-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Turbo; If you swapped the harness with a non ABS one, wouldn't you also need a non ABS computer? I was also looking at the pinout for the ABS connector, and 2 of the pins said power for the wheel speed sensors. Does that mean if you unplugged the ABS, that the traction control would not work also? We need to figure this out. Mike.
post #8 of 104 Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to ducatibrandon
Got a stupid question but why would you want to remove the ABS?
post #9 of 104 Old 11-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to abadassbikerlad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatibrandon View Post
Got a stupid question but why would you want to remove the ABS?
Because there is no decent braking with it the lever pulls itself out of your hand when braking hard then you get the feeling of acceleration as your braking force is reduced, I rode a abs demo bike before buying my non abs model. The demo with abs scared the crap out of me when I chose to stop at a certain place it reduced my braking and made me stop lots later. This might be good in the wet that's it.

2013 black uk spec gen 4, full akrapovic evo carbon, brembo rcs master cylinder, brembo clutch, ohlins race SCU, woolichracing flashed ecu with stock 02 disabled, ohlins mechatronic rear shock, Suoer corsa Sc2 200 rear smoked hot bodies rear end, Puig screen, s-2 concepts seat hump,Hell hoses, brembo m4 monoblocks samco sport red hoses, samco clamps, evotech oil cap, MWR filter, Putoline syntec 4, Jmt lion battery, nearly all bolts are titanium. 55w 6000k 2.5" Hid projectors.
190.26 hp Din
post #10 of 104 Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to ducatibrandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by abadassbikerlad View Post
Because there is no decent braking with it the lever pulls itself out of your hand when braking hard then you get the feeling of acceleration as your braking force is reduced, I rode a abs demo bike before buying my non abs model. The demo with abs scared the crap out of me when I chose to stop at a certain place it reduced my braking and made me stop lots later. This might be good in the wet that's it.

Im getting a 2013 today and they don't have any non-abs in stock. I will be looking at this system tonight for sure. That is after a nice new night ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.